Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 490

Thread: Shot NYPD cop dies

  1. #111
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Probably no protest, given the the shooter has been arrested.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  2. #112
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,476

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Yeah its silly. IIRC in the case of the uzi, the father (a physician) was helping his son shoot a full auto uzi for the first time and it whipped around and hit the boy. Horrible-in every way-but a freak accident. Abusus non tollit usum.
    You know where I stand there.

    Uzi's should be banned.

    Two, the dad should go to jail.

    But the US in its wisdom does not ban Uzi's; so like high powered cars and substances, Americans need to learn to live with them.

    I am constantly horrified at the demand for gun control as some sort of "safety" idea when in fact it is religion; all the while the real carnage is on US highways.

    With the logic of anti-gunism, all roads should be banned, let alone cars, buses, trucks, motor cycles et all
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  3. #113
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    You know where I stand there.

    Uzi's should be banned.

    Two, the dad should go to jail.

    But the US in its wisdom does not ban Uzi's; so like high powered cars and substances, Americans need to learn to live with them.

    I am constantly horrified at the demand for gun control as some sort of "safety" idea when in fact it is religion; all the while the real carnage is on US highways.

    With the logic of anti-gunism, all roads should be banned, let alone cars, buses, trucks, motor cycles et all


    Uzi's are glorified 9mm pistols in civilian mode (semi auto), if it's full auto it's already illegal.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #114
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,276

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    a bit of perspective helps over the fear mongering.
    Yes indeed it does.

    Last year in the US 126 police officers were killed in the line of duty in the UK we had none.

    The same year over a thousand people were killed by police in the US in the UK we had one

    You are over 50 times more likely to be killed by your own police force than by terrorism acts

  5. #115
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    No it just makes it more avoidable. The young officers tragic death in the OP is just more collateral damage done as a consequence of a crazy system
    How so? If the murder rate is general is the same (I assume lower?, im having some trouble finding stats) we can assume that they would find another weapon in lieu of a gun. It would be fair to assume that the rate of katana related murders is higher in Japan, this doesnt mean that the presence of Katanas makes Japan inherently more dangerous. And of course all of this is assuming that all the guns in the U.S would magically disapear once a ban was imposed, which given the U.Ss highly organized traddition of organized crime would appear somewhat unlikely.

  6. #116
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Yes indeed it does.

    Last year in the US 126 police officers were killed in the line of duty in the UK we had none.
    how many were homicides? how many were accidents? this is important.


    The same year over a thousand people were killed by police in the US in the UK we had one

    You are over 50 times more likely to be killed by your own police force than by terrorists

    you are being generous with 50 times, I think it was 400 times last I calculated.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #117
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,276

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    How so? If the murder rate is general is the same (I assume lower?, im having some trouble finding stats) we can assume that they would find another weapon in lieu of a gun. It would be fair to assume that the rate of katana related murders is higher in Japan, this doesnt mean that the presence of Katanas makes Japan inherently more dangerous. And of course all of this is assuming that all the guns in the U.S would magically disapear once a ban was imposed, which given the U.Ss highly organized traddition of organized crime would appear somewhat unlikely.
    Its not that hard to find international comparison stats if you really want to.

    List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Take out the firearms from the equation and US murder rates overall would not be too dissimilar from those of the UK and other developed countries

  8. #118
    Guru
    csbrown28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,047

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Dude, you are talking about a KID, a KID whos father greatly overstated the safety of they weapon. That TRAGEDY is not a justification to curtail my right (which I believe is natural, btw). ALL rights come with responsibility and can be misused even to dangerous effect-if you dont like at least some degree of danger and responsibility, freedom might not be your thing.

    Im a Paramedic I can tell you about the things I have personally seen that might lead you to say there is an out of control "car" culture, would you be for banning those?

    What I did learn from your post-was that perhaps uzi made a .41AE variant, makes sense as they are Israeli companies.
    The father wasn't the only one overstating the safety of the weapon. The organizers, the range officers, the event organizers and the other parents who also let their children participate overestimated the safety as well. Most of these same people would shoot a dirty look to a parent that let their kid sit in the front seat w/o a seatbelt, but think it's perfectly normal to let a child fire an Uzi.

    Insofar as "natural rights' or "god given rights", they are a nice idea, but they don't exist unless other people agree, which means without the agreement of others around you that the rights are "inalienable" or "natural", they are nothing. You must convince your fellow man in the value of the rights you claim are "natural". Which is not to say that I don't support firearm ownership, just that I think there are reasonable limits with regard to responsibility and attitude.

    Ahhh the ubiquitous "car" argument. An argument that only helps demonstrate my point. We know that everything we do comes with some risk. Cars like anything else can be abused and we try to put common sense limits on cars. We require licences, insurance, registration impose speed limits, safety tolerances ect....We put more limits on a car than say a bicycle because of the potential danger it poses. The difference between a firearm and a car is one is designed exclusively to project force in an extremely compact and efficient package (pocket sized in some cases), cars are a vital part of our overall lifestyle and economy. If all the cars in the world vanished, modern life as we know it would end.

    While a car can project force, that isn't it's design goal. It is designed to ferry around people and objects and we accept the tradeoff between it's utility and the inevitable consequences of misuse. But ever since the car was developed it has gotten safer and safer. Firearms have stated the same and the culture has be come more resistant than ever to social change, either by government or within itself. Frankly I think most of the changes have to come within the culture rather than through legislation. before I'm reminded that crime has fallen, I would challenge the notion that the reason it's fallen cannot be correlated to firearms in any meaningful way. Changes in the crime rate have lots of participating factors.
    Last edited by csbrown28; 05-06-15 at 02:48 PM.
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary (or faith) depends upon his not understanding it.

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Yes indeed it does.

    Last year in the US 126 police officers were killed in the line of duty in the UK we had none.

    The same year over a thousand people were killed by police in the US in the UK we had one

    You are over 50 times more likely to be killed by your own police force than by terrorism acts
    Historically, before or after any gun laws-the UK has always had a lower rate of crime against law enforcement.

  10. #120
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,276

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    how many were homicides? how many were accidents? this is important.
    here is the breakdown for the US

    National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund: 126 Law Enforcement Officer Fatalities Nationwide in 2014

    For the UK here is the all time historical list which is but a tiny fraction of the US totals even allowing for population differentials

    List of British police officers killed in the line of duty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    you are being generous with 50 times, I think it was 400 times last I calculated
    Probably true I'm just going by the figures I've read lately

    You

Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •