Page 65 of 167 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 650 of 1668

Thread: Two Shot at Muhammad Art Exhibit [W:439, 529, 978, 1489]

  1. #641
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,746

    Re: Two Shot at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas [W:439, 529]

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Far and away no excuse for violence, but this was nothing more than a provocation, needless, senseless and ended with an injured security guard, but could have been worse. Is this really worth the exercise of free speech to draw cartoons that offend the sensibilities of some.
    To the individuals who participated, yes.

    Myself personally, I wouldn't bother, but then I can't draw worth a damn. Assuming I could draw, I probably wouldn't bother going for the caricature of a religious symbol, simply because it's not really my thing to try and upset people.

    But it's not for you or I to say whether something is "worth it" to someone else.

    Although it's totally reasonable to criticize their choice...
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #642
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,027

    Re: Two Shot at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    The person that appears to be wallowing is you, and its not in reality.
    Lets see if you can follow this, although we already know that you can't:

    Originally Posted by MickeyW
    Because it smokes out the radical scum to be shot dead. I'm Lovin it mannnn!

    Originally Posted by Bodhisattva
    It smokes out the radical to actively seek out and shoot innocent people... and you love it? What is your ****ing problem man... holy ****, go to therapy fast.

    Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ
    Radical Muslims attack to murder the law abiding and someone else needs therapy?

    Wow...

    Originally Posted by Bodhisattva
    If you can't keep the context of the comment then I understand why you are confused... it's OK, don't worry about it and wallow in ignorance.

    Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ
    The person that appears to be wallowing is you, and its not in reality.

  3. #643
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,919
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Two Shot at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas [W:439, 529]

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    I'd like to be there when you suggested that to the security guards family, lol.
    I'm sure he agrees.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  4. #644
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Two Shot at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas [W:439, 529]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    To the individuals who participated, yes.

    Myself personally, I wouldn't bother, but then I can't draw worth a damn. Assuming I could draw, I probably wouldn't bother going for the caricature of a religious symbol, simply because it's not really my thing to try and upset people.

    But it's not for you or I to say whether something is "worth it" to someone else.

    Although it's totally reasonable to criticize their choice...
    A security guard was injured. This could have been far worse than it was. Anyway, yeah, in this forum, it is for me to say that just because I have a right to call you an asshole as an expression of free speech (besides being a violation of board rules) it's not expedient. I'm an atheist but I wouldn't gratuitously offend a Christian or a Muslim. This was senseless and didn't end well. But hey, the kiddos with their crayons exercised their free speech, yippee!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #645
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Two Shot at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas [W:439, 529]

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I'm sure he agrees.
    Oh dear
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  6. #646
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,794

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I didn't say that she is guilty of a crime. I said that she holds some blame. Learn to read.
    Petulant and puerile response; must have hit a nerve.

    You stated she deserves some blame, so lets' see it. Two people died; what blame, because murder was attempted and two people were killed?

    Did she coerce the Muslims to attempt murder and push them over the edge? Did she incite or propel them to pull the trigger?

    Did she offend their, and apparently your, delicate sensibilities?
    Last edited by Μολὼν λαβέ; 05-05-15 at 09:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  7. #647
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,919
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Two Shot at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas [W:439, 529]

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    That seems like a fairly valid art-work to me. Art is about ideas, not about toeing a rhetorical line. What's your point? Twenty-eight years ago, that art was astonishing. The fact that Geller's exhibition wasn't anything to do with artistic expression, and everything to do with creating controversy, is neither here nor there. It still wasn't a valid target for suicide bombs or sharp-shooters. I'm still inordinately glad the attackers didn't get the opportunity to kill more 'heretics'.
    We're all familiar with the phenomenon among left wingers that any piece of trash is art if it confirms their ideology and the best work is not art if it doesn't confirm their ideology. So it is with people who are completely defined by their ideology.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  8. #648
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    23,280

    Re: Two Shot at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas [W:439, 529]

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    A security guard was injured. This could have been far worse than it was. Anyway, yeah, in this forum, it is for me to say that just because I have a right to call you an asshole as an expression of free speech (besides being a violation of board rules) it's not expedient. I'm an atheist but I wouldn't gratuitously offend a Christian or a Muslim. This was senseless and didn't end well. But hey, the kiddos with their crayons exercised their free speech, yippee!
    You realize that depictions of Mohammed cartoon or otherwise carry the same punishment ( execution ) that being a Homosexual does.

    Anyway, the real story is ISIS in the United States and their claim that this attack is just the first of many.

  9. #649
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,027

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    Petulant and puerile response; must have hit a nerve.

    You stated she deserves some blame, so lets' see it. Two people died; what blame, because murder was attempted and two people were killed?

    Did she push the Muslims to attempt murder and push them over the edge? Did she incite or propel them to pull the trigger?

    Did she offend their, and apparently your, delicate sensibilities?
    Hit a nerve because you can't read?

    I didn't say that she is guilty of a crime. I said that she holds some blame.

    If a person knowingly does something that they know, and has in the past, specifically been targeted with violence and they do it anyway then they are partially to blame.

    You see common sense and responsiblity as delicate sensibilities and I see them as reasonable responses.

  10. #650
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    40,538

    Re: Two Shot at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas [W:439, 529]

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    We're all familiar with the phenomenon among left wingers that any piece of trash is art if it confirms their ideology and the best work is not art if it doesn't confirm their ideology. So it is with people who are completely defined by their ideology.
    We're all familiar with the fact that you consistently make up stupid nonsense about left wingers and use it to smear them.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •