Page 21 of 167 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 1668

Thread: Two Shot at Muhammad Art Exhibit [W:439, 529, 978, 1489]

  1. #201
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    40,621

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Not really Anglo because their views on those issues that Kobie mentioned (Islam's horrendous treatment of women, the preponderance of extremism and anti-Semitism among many Muslims, and this ridiculous idea that drawing a picture of a dude is literally the worst thing you can do) are simply beyond repulsive and deserve no respect whatsoever.

    Take Pamela Geller for another example. She's the same as the WBC nutters. She isn't violent. She's a full blown, fair dinkum, right-wing extremist nutjob that should have the freedom to hold her "family day" gatherings without being attacked by extremists on the other side of the fence, but she certainly does not deserve any respect.
    Speaking of Pam Geller, that shrill bigot was just on CNN a couple minutes ago. She referred to her little Muhammad cartoon contest as a "free speech event."

    I don't buy for a moment that this gathering of nimrods was intended to further free speech in America. This was a giant "F you, Muslims" party, and while that does not deserve to be met with violence, that doesn't mean Geller and her flying monkeys aren't douchebags.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  2. #202
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Or from those who value Mattthew 17:27.

    But so that we may not cause offense, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours

    The admonition of Jesus against giving needless offense (and thereby engaging in avoidable confrontations) is still very valid. It clearly applies in this situation (even if most, if not all of the cartoon contestants were secular).
    Selective bible quotations don't really contribute much. But of course I do subscribe to the injunction not to cause unneccessary offense. but i don't feel that I should impose my religious or philosophical views, let alone my taste, on everybody else.

  3. #203
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Speaking of Pam Geller, that shrill bigot was just on CNN a couple minutes ago. She referred to her little Muhammad cartoon contest as a "free speech event."

    I don't buy for a moment that this gathering of nimrods was intended to further free speech in America. This was a giant "F you, Muslims" party, and while that does not deserve to be met with violence, that doesn't mean Geller and her flying monkeys aren't douchebags.
    The world is full of obnoxious people holding obnoxious views. That is called freedom. I don't care much for the alternative.

  4. #204
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    40,621

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoVlaming View Post
    The world is full of obnoxious people holding obnoxious views. That is called freedom. I don't care much for the alternative.
    Did I say anything to the contrary?
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  5. #205
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Did I say anything to the contrary?
    No, I just used your posting to make a point.

  6. #206
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    05-19-17 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,820

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoVlaming View Post
    Selective bible quotations don't really contribute much. But of course I do subscribe to the injunction not to cause unneccessary offense. but i don't feel that I should impose my religious or philosophical views, let alone my taste, on everybody else.
    Matthew 17:27 clearly applies- giving needless offense (and risking avoidable confrontations) is something to be well..... avoided.

    That aside, I agree about the principal forbidding the imposition of taste in a democratic society. That still does not change the applicability of Matthew 17:27 in this case.


    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post
    If you look at the shooting and your first impulse is to criticize free speech, you are a HUGE part of what is wrong with America.
    I value free speech and Matthew 17:27.

    Therefore, my criticism is not against free speech, but against those who see no value in avoiding needless offense. Please note, Matthew 17:27 forbids causing "needless offense", not "all offense".

  7. #207
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Matthew 17:27 clearly applies- giving needless offense (and risking avoidable confrontations) is something to be well..... avoided.

    That aside, I agree about the principal forbidding the imposition of taste in a democratic society. That still does not change the applicability of Matthew 17:27 in this case.




    I value free speech and Matthew 17:27.

    Therefore, my criticism is not against free speech, but against those who see no value in avoiding needless offense. Please note, Matthew 17:27 forbids causing "needless offense", not "all offense".
    Are you a big fan of Matthew 10:34 too?

  8. #208
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    40,621

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoVlaming View Post
    Are you a big fan of Matthew 10:34 too?
    What is that one, for those of us less biblically inclined?
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  9. #209
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,006

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Take Pamela Geller for another example. She's the same as the WBC nutters. She isn't violent. She's a full blown, fair dinkum, right-wing extremist nutjob that should have the freedom to hold her "family day" gatherings without being attacked by extremists on the other side of the fence, but she certainly does not deserve any respect.
    Among her "achievements" is her group, this AFDI, paying for NYC bus ads with the statement "'Killing Jews is worship that draws us close to Allah." Provocative, extreme, and disgusting/depressing to me. I mean, way to be part of the problem.

    For those interested in Pamela Gellar's extremist group: What is the American Freedom Defense Initiative? - CNN.com

  10. #210
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,673

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    At least the right people were killed in this one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •