Page 141 of 167 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1668

Thread: Two Shot at Muhammad Art Exhibit [W:439, 529, 978, 1489]

  1. #1401
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,724

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    So you believe they are inciting violence by drawing cartoons of Muhammad? What else incites extremist Muslims to be violent?
    Obviously they are inciting them in this case...

    ...lots of stupid things incite certain Islamic A-holes to be violent.

  2. #1402
    Lady Libertarian


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,488

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Obviously they are inciting them in this case...

    ...lots of stupid things incite certain Islamic A-holes to be violent.
    Well, in America, free speech does not include inciting people to be violent. Since radical Islam will kill you for speaking against Islam in any way, should criticism of Islam be illegal?


  3. #1403
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,724

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Then why did you say "Two guys out of a billion"? Are there a billion Muslims in the US?
    Uhh, there are a billion Muslims. Two Muslims attacked in this incident. ??? What am I missing?

    Right. You are being intimidated and that's how the Islamists want you to react. They will become ever more bold because Americans will turn on each other, fearful of what the Islamists may do next.
    I am not intimidated. Not doing things like this were the innocent public might be killed and not doing it at all are two VASTLY different things.

    I speak out against radical Islam as much as anybody. I discuss it in class and with other adults. I buy books. I brag about it to the entire world online. I don't hold a contest where innocent people can be blown away though. If some radicals shoot me dead when they find out where I live that is my ****ing problem. If your family is killed because I do it in a public place that is everybody's problem.

  4. #1404
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,724

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Well, in America, free speech does not include inciting people to be violent. Since radical Islam will kill you for speaking against Islam in any way, should criticism of Islam be illegal?
    When did I imply that criticism should be illegal?

  5. #1405
    Lady Libertarian


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,488

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    When did I imply that criticism should be illegal?
    Because you're using the word "incitement". It's illegal to use your "freedom of speech" to incite violence.


  6. #1406
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,724

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Because you're using the word "incitement". It's illegal to use your "freedom of speech" to incite violence.
    What am I missing? The two words are not analogous at all. Incite. Criticize.

  7. #1407
    Lady Libertarian


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,488

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    What am I missing? The two words are not analogous at all. Incite. Criticize.
    Criticizing Islam will incite them to be violent.... is what you're saying, right?


  8. #1408
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    39,891

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    What am I missing? The two words are not analogous at all. Incite. Criticize.
    It's baffling. We can state over and over until the cows wander back into the barn that Geller's brand of vitriol, while repugnant, should not be restricted, and then we're accused of wanting to restrict speech. They have their talking points, and they're sticking to them, facts be damned.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  9. #1409
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,724

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Criticizing Islam will incite them to be violent.... is what you're saying, right?
    Don't know how I did not connect that, my bad. I don't see this as criticism. If I criticised you as a parent and said, "hey, giving your son a time-out is more effective than you just up and spanking them Josie" or "spanking doens't work and you should know that it today's day and age" is criticism. If I make a picture of your enraged with your hand slow motion swinging at your kids face that is not criticism. That is just plain old fashioned dickish behaviour meant to piss you off. If "criticism" was all it took why hasn't Fox been attacked daily for years now?

  10. #1410
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,724

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    It's baffling. We can state over and over until the cows wander back into the barn that Geller's brand of vitriol, while repugnant, should not be restricted, and then we're accused of wanting to restrict speech. They have their talking points, and they're sticking to them, facts be damned.
    I know. I specifically state that what she says should be illegal but that what she also says was meant to incite anger in Muslims and bring out the worst. I don't see how the "right" for a lack of a better demographic loses by admitting this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •