Page 12 of 167 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 1668

Thread: Two Shot at Muhammad Art Exhibit [W:439, 529, 978, 1489]

  1. #111
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-scot View Post
    My earlier was post was not nonsense. Your logic escapes me. People who insult others generally abuse their freedom of speech. Sadly it happens all day long on the internet and clearly most of it is not serious enough to take action about. Sadly, some people choose to do some very stupid things to hurt other people's feelings and this event was one of them.

    If people have a problem with the Catholic church, they should criticise it respectfully. Same goes for Islam, Evangelical Christians, Atheists and whatever faith you believe in too.
    So "freedom of speech" should only extend to any expression that nobody finds offensive for any reason?

    From somebody who describes attempted murder as "a bad reaction", I'm not surprised.

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-scot View Post
    My earlier was post was not nonsense. Your logic escapes me. People who insult others generally abuse their freedom of speech. Sadly it happens all day long on the internet and clearly most of it is not serious enough to take action about. Sadly, some people choose to do some very stupid things to hurt other people's feelings and this event was one of them.

    If people have a problem with the Catholic church, they should criticise it respectfully. Same goes for Islam, Evangelical Christians, Atheists and whatever faith you believe in too.
    Its our right (US, doubt its the same in the UK) to exercise our first amendment rights. There is no conceivable case to justify the actions of the attackers here. None-and thats where the fault lies-get it straight.

  3. #113
    Sage
    gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,291

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    RIP THE EUROPEAN FORUM 2016

  4. #114
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brum
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    776

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Its our right (US, doubt its the same in the UK) to exercise our first amendment rights. There is no conceivable case to justify the actions of the attackers here. None-and thats where the fault lies-get it straight.
    Agreed - even though these kind of attacks could have been anticipated, there is no justification for them. We can safely agree on that.

    On the issue of the right to insult the religious beliefs of others (and most religious believers are peaceful), then people who organise activities like this one in Texas put legislators in a very difficult situation. They force them to choose between security and freedom of speech. I hope they don't repeat this kind of stunt for the sake of the security of the silly people who turn up to them, and also for the sake of freedom of speech of many people, which they are jeopardising.

  5. #115
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    06-29-17 @ 06:51 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,854

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-scot View Post
    -- If people have a problem with the Catholic church, they should criticise it respectfully. Same goes for Islam, Evangelical Christians, Atheists and whatever faith you believe in too.
    Free speech has consequences but there should be few limits on its nature.

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Its our right (US, doubt its the same in the UK) --
    I think the difference is that security in the US acted before the attackers got any victims. Such events in Europe have sadly had little armed official security in place and the consequences in France, Belgium and Denmark have been all too predictable.

    The response to and speed of neutralising the attack is a lesson to Western European countries when these free-speech events take place.

  6. #116
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-scot View Post
    Agreed - even though these kind of attacks could have been anticipated, there is no justification for them. We can safely agree on that.

    On the issue of the right to insult the religious beliefs of others (and most religious believers are peaceful), then people who organise activities like this one in Texas put legislators in a very difficult situation. They force them to choose between security and freedom of speech. I hope they don't repeat this kind of stunt for the sake of the security of the silly people who turn up to them, and also for the sake of freedom of speech of many people, which they are jeopardising.
    So you feel the threat of violence should win?

  7. #117
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brum
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    776

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoVlaming View Post
    So you feel the threat of violence should win?
    No. Message too short so I'll add another "no".

  8. #118
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-scot View Post
    No. Message too short so I'll add another "no".
    Then maybe you should start thinking about what you write before you post it.

  9. #119
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brum
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    776

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    Free speech has consequences but there should be few limits on its nature.



    I think the difference is that security in the US acted before the attackers got any victims. Such events in Europe have sadly had little armed official security in place and the consequences in France, Belgium and Denmark have been all too predictable.

    The response to and speed of neutralising the attack is a lesson to Western European countries when these free-speech events take place.
    You seem to be suggesting that such events in Europe should now require armed vigilantes, instead of regular police. If there are security threats, I think we should leave it to the police to handle them, and of course the organisers should pay for the privilege.

    Of course a more sensible route would be to consult Muslim groups and even ask them to contribute to such event so that offence can be minimised and positive relations between different groups can be strengthened. If the group in Texas had made this kind of effort, then this incident would probably have been avoided. Unfortunately, they think Muslims are bad people and deserve a good kicking.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    05-05-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    632

    Re: Shooting at Muhammad Art Exhibit in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-scot View Post
    My earlier was post was not nonsense. Your logic escapes me. People who insult others generally abuse their freedom of speech.
    Agreed the death cult of Islam is truly an abuse of the 1st amendment and should be treated the same as all hate groups.

    “Muslims are the vilest of animals…”

    “Show mercy to one another, but be ruthless to Muslims”

    “How perverse are Muslims!”

    “Strike off the heads of Muslims, as well as their fingertips”

    “Fight those Muslims who are near to you”

    “Muslim mischief makers should be murdered or crucified”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •