Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: House votes to strike down D.C. law banning reproductive discrimination

  1. #1
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    8,711

    House votes to strike down D.C. law banning reproductive discrimination

    Apparently, anti-abortion moves are seen as less harmful to Republican interests than anti-gay actions

    House votes to strike down D.C. law banning reproductive discrimination

    A divided House of Representatives voted along party lines late Thursday to strike down a D.C. law on ideological grounds for the first time in almost 35 years.

    Republican opponents of the measure, which bans discrimination over employees’ reproductive decisions, said it constituted a liberal attack on antiabortion groups in the nation’s capital.

    The effort, begun by Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) in the days before he launched his presidential campaign, sparked a fierce debate on the floor of the House late Thursday, with Democrats blasting the Republican move as an outrageous infringement on women’s reproductive rights and privacy.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  2. #2
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    16,170

    Re: House votes to strike down D.C. law banning reproductive discrimination

    Congress can run D.C. anyway Congress wants to. It's one of their explicitly enumerated powers.

    Congress could, under article I, section 8, ban all elective abortion in all federal territory, including D.C.

    Could, and should.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    8,711

    Re: House votes to strike down D.C. law banning reproductive discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Congress can run D.C. anyway Congress wants to. It's one of their explicitly enumerated powers.

    Congress could, under article I, section 8, ban all elective abortion in all federal territory, including D.C.

    Could, and should.
    and you label yourself "Libertarian" without seeing the contrast in your stated positions on this forum and what is seen as Libertarianism in other countries. The American version seems to favour Christian theocracy, government control of women's decisions and the oppression of minorities when a state or town wants to do it.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  4. #4
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    16,170

    Re: House votes to strike down D.C. law banning reproductive discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    and you label yourself "Libertarian" without seeing the contrast in your stated positions on this forum and what is seen as Libertarianism in other countries. The American version seems to favour Christian theocracy, government control of women's decisions and the oppression of minorities when a state or town wants to do it.
    Yes, a respect for human rights and equality are very much "libertarian" qualities.

    In this case, we should respect property rights, freedom of contract and freedom of association.

    I would not want to employ someone known to have killed other human beings in cold blood. No rational employer would unless their business model somehow required selfish and savagely destructive employees.

    Indeed, it would be far better for such scum to be in prison.
    Last edited by JayDubya; 05-02-15 at 11:53 AM.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,955

    Re: House votes to strike down D.C. law banning reproductive discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    and you label yourself "Libertarian" without seeing the contrast in your stated positions on this forum and what is seen as Libertarianism in other countries. The American version seems to favour Christian theocracy, government control of women's decisions and the oppression of minorities when a state or town wants to do it.
    That is either a flat out lie or unbelievable ignorance. Being for human liberty does not equal being for anything you just mentioned. If one believe that life begins at conception and that the proper role of government is to secure the rights of all living humans, then of course a libertarian position could very easily be for the elimination of the abortion procedure. Why cant you liberals wrap your heads around such a simple formulation?

  6. #6
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: House votes to strike down D.C. law banning reproductive discrimination

    How anyone can look at this and not see that the people of DC need to be governing themselves, out from the thumb of elected leaders from other states, is crazy. DC needs to be a state. The land on which the three main government buildings sit can stay federal land, but the people of the city need the same rights and representation as the rest of the nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    That is either a flat out lie or unbelievable ignorance. Being for human liberty does not equal being for anything you just mentioned. If one believe that life begins at conception and that the proper role of government is to secure the rights of all living humans, then of course a libertarian position could very easily be for the elimination of the abortion procedure. Why cant you liberals wrap your heads around such a simple formulation?
    You might start by recognizing that your beliefs don't get special privilege and don't get to be enshrined in the law over anyone else's. You want to make laws? Then you need facts and not beliefs.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,955

    Re: House votes to strike down D.C. law banning reproductive discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    How anyone can look at this and not see that the people of DC need to be governing themselves, out from the thumb of elected leaders from other states, is crazy. DC needs to be a state. The land on which the three main government buildings sit can stay federal land, but the people of the city need the same rights and representation as the rest of the nation.
    How does a person who defends every act of intrusion into state matter by the federal government say such a thing with a straight face?



    You might start by recognizing that your beliefs don't get special privilege and don't get to be enshrined in the law over anyone else's. You want to make laws? Then you need facts and not beliefs.
    Then perhaps you might use some facts here rather than simply regurgitate your own stale beliefs and pretend they have standing. There are few things more annoying than a one-size-fits-all liberal demanding independent action. Snap out of your leftist coma dude.

  8. #8
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: House votes to strike down D.C. law banning reproductive discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    That is either a flat out lie or unbelievable ignorance. Being for human liberty does not equal being for anything you just mentioned. If one believe that life begins at conception and that the proper role of government is to secure the rights of all living humans, then of course a libertarian position could very easily be for the elimination of the abortion procedure. Why cant you liberals wrap your heads around such a simple formulation?
    You have basically zero credibility pretending you hate big government if you support it sticking its nose into a women's uterus.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,955

    Re: House votes to strike down D.C. law banning reproductive discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    You have basically zero credibility pretending you hate big government if you support it sticking its nose into a women's uterus.
    I support the government defending human rights. That means there are numerous ways in which the government must 'stick its nose' into what we do. But go ahead and pretend that your leftist demands for the state to stick it nose in virtually every other aspect of life gives you an ounce of credibility to denounce it here.

  10. #10
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    16,170

    Re: House votes to strike down D.C. law banning reproductive discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    How anyone can look at this and not see that the people of DC need to be governing themselves.
    With policy like this, it is clear they are unfit to do so.

    You might start by recognizing that your beliefs don't get special privilege and don't get to be enshrined in the law over anyone else's. You want to make laws? Then you need facts and not beliefs.
    Human rights are more important than your individual belief. Human rights should not be put to a vote.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •