Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 302

Thread: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

  1. #231
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Regardless of anyone's race, the fact of so many citizens dying at the hands of the government should be enough cause for alarm.
    I agree, but the riot has a very racial substratum....why is that?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #232
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    That you think that matter means you are not making sense.

    They had probable cause to chase and detain.
    What was the probable cause?

    Had a knife not been found he would have been released and walked away. But a knife believing to be a violation of the law was found and that constitutes the probable cause.
    The police knew the knife was legal.





    This is you not knowing what you are talking about and ignoring the fact that they did.

    Seeing a suspected drug deal with the participants fleeing is probable cause to give chase and detain. During that detention the knife was found.
    Had it not been found he would have been released.
    Did they see him dealing drugs? If not...no probale cause.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #233
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,527

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    My personal experience is that police do put their lives on the line. They are " the line " between law abiding citizens protecting them from the all too often heinous actions of an immoral society. I've heard the bagpipes played one too many times for those who lost their lives in the line of duty. Just read this morning that another cop was shot in NYC in the face by some punk who couldn't even run away because his baggie pants were down around his knees.

    In every profession there are good and bad and the bad can cause great damage to others even death whether it be a doctor, lawyer, traffic air controller, judge, prosecuting attorney, police etc..

    Here's a thought, why not let the justice system play out. How about letting all the facts without emotion be brought forth before making a judgment.
    I'm absolutely willing to let the system do its thing. And I agree there are good and bad in every profession. But the image of cops as poorly paid servants doing a incredibly dangerous job is simply wrong. Statistically policing is not as dangerous as many other professions.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  4. #234
    Sage

    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,605

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    How often are police charged with that sort of thing? Criminal charges seems like over kill to me. Plus, we don't know why they arrested him yet. It seems that discipline would be the proper avenue if they didn't follow procedure with regard to his arrest. But the real issue here is why the guy is dead. That should be what is criminally investigated. When it seems that everyone agrees that most of these charges will be dropped, it seems like misconduct to bring them in the first place. Overzealous prosecutors aren't much better than overzealous officers.
    I do understand your point regarding overzealous prosecutors, and that may well be the case here, but then it may not.

    Most final events--his death--are the result of a chain of events. In this case, that chain's first link is the false arrest of Gray. He was arrested for what?

  5. #235
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,018

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    What was the probable cause?

    The police knew the knife was legal.



    Did they see him dealing drugs? If not...no probale cause.
    Why are you playing at being obtuse?
    The information was already provided.

    They thought the knife was illegal (and it very well may be as already pointed out), giving them probable cause to arrest.

    And yes they thought they saw a drug deal, so ye they had probable cause to give chase and detain.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #236
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    48,767

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    I do understand your point regarding overzealous prosecutors, and that may well be the case here, but then it may not.

    Most final events--his death--are the result of a chain of events. In this case, that chain's first link is the false arrest of Gray. He was arrested for what?
    He was arrested for "being suspicious."
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Well, certainly the customer is not an N-word.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You know her?

  7. #237
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,018

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    He was arrested for "being suspicious."

    No. The arrest document was already provided.

    He was arrested becasue it was believed he was carrying a knife in violation of City Code.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  8. #238
    Sage

    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,605

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    No. The arrest document was already provided.

    He was arrested becasue it was believed he was carrying a knife in violation of City Code.
    Which the DA says was NOT in violation of city code.

    So, was the arrest improper?

  9. #239
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,018

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Which the DA says was NOT in violation of city code.

    So, was the arrest improper?
    This is you not having read that which has come before.

    She did not say that.

    She went out of her way to say it did not violate Maryland Law, not City Code which it very well may violate.


    Even if it was legal, the Officer believing it was illegal gave him probable cause to arrest.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  10. #240
    Sage

    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,605

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    A most dangerous act, carrying a knife while riding a bicycle.

Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •