Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 302

Thread: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

  1. #181
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Lets say that is true. Is that reason to charge these officers with a crime? Is that common? Seems to me that they should face disciplinary action but false imprisonment is absurd and there is no way they will be found guilty of that. The issue here is the mans death, what caused it and who is responsible. If its the driver-and it seems to be-then the criminal charges should be applied to him only. Nothing else that appears to have happen at the hands of the other officers seems to warrant criminal prosecution. Overcharging is going to cause more problems then it hoped to solve when virtually all the charges are dropped.
    Murder charges seem excessive to me, but he did die while in their custody. However, unless they can prove that the death did not result from their negligence....they may get convicted. If they had no legitimate reason to detain him....false imprisonment will stick. If you've done nothing wrong, the cops have no more right to lock you up than I do.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #182
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,965

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    If they had no legitimate reason to detain him....false imprisonment will stick. If you've done nothing wrong, the cops have no more right to lock you up than I do.
    That is not true, probable cause can be based on an honest mistake.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #183
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    No. What she said was already quoted, verbatim.

    Ms. Mosby said,
    “The knife was not a switchblade and is lawful under Maryland law.”

    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/02/us...osecutors.html

    That may be a misdirection as it was not Maryland law he was charged under. It was City Code.


    Then the actual code, as provided, may be applicable (spring assisted is more than likely to fall under that law), and even if not that does not mean there was no probable cause, as probable cause can be based on a mistake.
    If there were another law that it did violate, and the Prosecutor said it was legal....that would have been all over the news by now. There is no reason to suspect that she is attempting to misdirect anyone. She stated the knife was legal.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  4. #184
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    That is not true, probable cause can be based on an honest mistake.
    That makes no sense. A mistake would mean he thought he had probable cause but didn't. The charges would hold if a case of "mistaken probable cause" was attempted.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #185
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,965

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    If there were another law that it did violate, and the Prosecutor said it was legal....that would have been all over the news by now. There is no reason to suspect that she is attempting to misdirect anyone. She stated the knife was legal.
    Are you serious?
    She stated it was legal under Maryland Law, not under the City Code charged. And that may not even be true.
    Of course there is reason to suspect.
    Her whole position is of social concern not legal and is of over charging, and you think there is not reason to doubt her.

    Watch the previous video where Dershowitz is interviewed.

    Then read the information at the Legal Insurrection link I provided to you.


    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That makes no sense. A mistake would mean he thought he had probable cause but didn't. The charges would hold if a case of "mistaken probable cause" was attempted.
    Probable cause can be based on a honest mistake. And no, under such circumstance the charges would be dropped, but it would not be an illegal arrest.
    Which is just further reason top suggest she is overreacting
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #186
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Are you serious?
    She stated it was legal under Maryland Law, not under the City Code charged. And that may not even be true.
    Of course there is reason to suspect.
    Her whole position is of social concern not legal and is of over charging, and you think there is not reason to doubt her.

    Watch the previous video where Dershowitz is interviewed.

    Then read the information at the Legal Insurrection link I provided to you.
    That's some tinfoil hat stuff right there. She not autonomous....she can't just get up there and make **** up on the spot. If she were lying in any fashion....and that's what you're claiming she may have done....the state would come down on her like a ton of bricks.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #187
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Probable cause can be based on a honest mistake. And no, under such circumstance the charges would be dropped, but it would not be an illegal arrest.
    Which is just further reason top suggest she is overreacting
    Finding out that it is a mistake eliminates the probable part.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #188
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,965

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That's some tinfoil hat stuff right there. She not autonomous....she can't just get up there and make **** up on the spot. If she were lying in any fashion....and that's what you're claiming she may have done....the state would come down on her like a ton of bricks.
    No, your assumptions in face of the evidence is tin foil bs.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Finding out that it is a mistake eliminates the probable part.
    No it doesn't.

    Thinking the knife is in violation of the law gives probable cause.
    Last edited by Excon; 05-02-15 at 03:34 PM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #189
    Guru
    csbrown28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NW Virginia
    Last Seen
    06-09-17 @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,023

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    In point of fact, any time this sort of negligence results in death it could result in criminal charges. But it seldom does because prosecutors seldom think it rises to the level of criminality. This case, though, is exceptional.

    No, it's not a racial thing even though the mob thinks it is. Three of the six officers charged are black. The one officer charged with murder is black.
    Honestly, I very rarely if ever think personal racism is a factor. That is to say that I don't beleive white officers don't think blacks inferior as a race, but I'm certain that many look down upon those in the inner cities (regardless of color) for many, many other reasons. We live in such a politically correct society we're never allowed to forget that there is a separate white/ black culture and frankly I think it contributes to the problem.

    Thant's not to say there aren't racists and that even some cops are racist, but I think the numbers of cops that look down at black people as strictly inferior as a race are few and I think that is often confused with one person looking down on another person as a person who happens to be a different color.

    Is there discrimination? YES, sure, we all discriminate. Anyone that says they don't doesn't understand what the word means or there just not being honest.

    I think that people are more tuned to class-ism than racism....imho Something I might also refer to as "institutional racism", cultural stereo types and media bias. They all play in to paint a picture that rarely matches what we see in reality.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary (or faith) depends upon his not understanding it.”

  10. #190
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: City State’s Attorney Says Freddie Gray’s Arrest Illegal, Charges Officers

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    No, your assumptions in face of the evidence is tin foil bs.


    No it doesn't.

    Thinking the knife is in violation of the law gives probable cause.
    Well, they didn't know he had the knife when they started chasing him. So, again, you're not making sense.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •