Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: Obama Chooses Chicago to Host His Presidential Library

  1. #41
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,486

    Re: Obama Chooses Chicago to Host His Presidential Library

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    Are you suggesting that is something to be proud of.

    Here you can check out how Chicago compares to the rest of the US. Chicago is a killing field.

    Crime rate in Chicago, Illinois (IL): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers statistics
    Actually, its not too bad compared to most urban areas. I'm guessing you're not getting the concept of numbers vs. per capita crimes.

    And most of the violent crime is confined to a few areas of the city - its major news if a murder happens downtown or on the near North side, where virtually all visitors are.

    But please, stay away. We dont mind.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  2. #42
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,486

    Re: Obama Chooses Chicago to Host His Presidential Library

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    One less reason to ever visit Chicago in my book. Still amused he didn't put it in Hawaii.
    I love the exaggeration of the crime in Chicago. It keeps the cowards out of town - you know, the ones who proudly say they live in an area with no crime, yet have to have a gun on them at all times because they are afraid of getting attacked?

    It makes Chicago a better place to be, thats for sure.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    40,836

    Re: Obama Chooses Chicago to Host His Presidential Library

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    Are you suggesting that is something to be proud of.
    Any crime rate cut in half is something to be proud of.

    Yes, your link shows that Chicago's crime rate has been dropping globally.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #44
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    15,599

    Re: Obama Chooses Chicago to Host His Presidential Library

    Quote Originally Posted by WSUwarrior View Post
    Even if that unnecessarily costs 100 million dollars?

    First world problems I guess...
    100M is a relative pittance in relation to the annual budget in context of a public treasure-trove of historical artifact.

    I'm with SouthernDemocrat all the way, here ...

  5. #45
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    36,131
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama Chooses Chicago to Host His Presidential Library

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    I love the exaggeration of the crime in Chicago. It keeps the cowards out of town - you know, the ones who proudly say they live in an area with no crime, yet have to have a gun on them at all times because they are afraid of getting attacked?

    It makes Chicago a better place to be, thats for sure.
    The **** are you on about?

    I don't like Chicago because it's a big city, high taxes and the Cubs are there. The crime problem is more relegated to areas that no one cares about expect when it comes to get out the vote drives. Then they care.

    I went to Great Mistakes, I got a couple of days in the city. I was not impressed. Good Pizza though.
    C.T.L.W. You figure it out



  6. #46
    Professor WSUwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    03-21-16 @ 03:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,864

    Re: Obama Chooses Chicago to Host His Presidential Library

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    100M is a relative pittance in relation to the annual budget in context of a public treasure-trove of historical artifact.

    I'm with SouthernDemocrat all the way, here ...
    When you worship the government no amount is too small. Have you guys figured out what "fair share" means, yet?


    I had the pleasure of learning statistics from a very accomplished professor. He thought it was pretty funny how if you asked people in a community if they support building a public library, you almost get a unanimous "yes" as a result. Then if you ask people in a community if they support raising their taxes $100 a year to build a public library, the support nearly disappears.

    I just thought it is awesome how absolutely appropriate that example was to this topic.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    15,599

    Re: Obama Chooses Chicago to Host His Presidential Library

    Quote Originally Posted by WSUwarrior View Post
    When you worship the government no amount is too small. Have you guys figured out what "fair share" means, yet?


    I had the pleasure of learning statistics from a very accomplished professor. He thought it was pretty funny how if you asked people in a community if they support building a public library, you almost get a unanimous "yes" as a result. Then if you ask people in a community if they support raising their taxes $100 a year to build a public library, the support nearly disappears.

    I just thought it is awesome how absolutely appropriate that example was to this topic.
    Well then, you hang-on tight to your 30 cents there bucko, my 12 y.o. nephew said he'll be happy to kick-in your share out of his allowance, if it'll teach you civic responsibility.

    And yeah, I'd happily give a c-note to build a library that benefits my kids & the other kids in the neighborhood - no idea what kind of community you live in, but I live in a small community with a very direct & responsive government, and we make those decisions on an annual basis, and we value having a clean, safe, fiscally sound community with good schools & libraries - and we are willing to pay for it. Why? Because nothing in life is free, and if you want the best for yourself & your family, you've got to be able to fork-over a few Georgies.

    I do think it's pretty telling that the example of withholding funds you picked is a library - there's a lot of other examples that would put your argument in a better light than one involving kids, knowledge, and education - but hey, you're the one that picked it!

    But then you've trained under 'a very accomplished professor', which sounds kind of interesting seeing as your example doesn't seem very supportive of academics or knowledge.

  8. #48
    Professor WSUwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    03-21-16 @ 03:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,864

    Re: Obama Chooses Chicago to Host His Presidential Library

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    Well then, you hang-on tight to your 30 cents there bucko, my 12 y.o. nephew said he'll be happy to kick-in your share out of his allowance, if it'll teach you civic responsibility.

    And yeah, I'd happily give a c-note to build a library that benefits my kids & the other kids in the neighborhood - no idea what kind of community you live in, but I live in a small community with a very direct & responsive government, and we make those decisions on an annual basis, and we value having a clean, safe, fiscally sound community with good schools & libraries - and we are willing to pay for it. Why? Because nothing in life is free, and if you want the best for yourself & your family, you've got to be able to fork-over a few Georgies.

    I do think it's pretty telling that the example of withholding funds you picked is a library - there's a lot of other examples that would put your argument in a better light than one involving kids, knowledge, and education - but hey, you're the one that picked it!

    But then you've trained under 'a very accomplished professor', which sounds kind of interesting seeing as your example doesn't seem very supportive of academics or knowledge.
    Nice rant!

    Just wanted to let you know that you completely missed the point then wasted your time going on a tirade about libraries for some reason.

    Have a good one!

  9. #49
    Sic et Non

    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,988

    Re: Obama Chooses Chicago to Host His Presidential Library

    Every US president from Herbert Hoover and on has a presidential library. Gerald R. Ford also has a museum.

    Presidential libraries are indispensable repositories for historians, archivists, authors, and citizens.

  10. #50
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Obama Chooses Chicago to Host His Presidential Library

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    One less reason to ever visit Chicago in my book. Still amused he didn't put it in Hawaii.
    No way would he put it in Hawaii. He's far too narcissistic for that. Not enough people there or who can afford to travel there. Obama envisions people worshipping at his Library.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •