Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 133

Thread: University of Maryland cancels ĎAmerican Sniperí after Muslim students complain

  1. #61
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: University of Maryland cancels ĎAmerican Sniperí after Muslim students complain

    Funny how post 43 is being ignored. Same old hypocrisy at play.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  2. #62
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    48,766

    Re: University of Maryland cancels ĎAmerican Sniperí after Muslim students complain

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    To quote you yourself; "They chose to show it, and then chose to not, to prevent a negative backlash".

    No one says it isn't within their rights and freedoms to voice their protest against the film.
    It's just that claiming the university exercised its "freedom of speech" when it decided not to show a film it first desired to show purely because they are fearing the repercussions from those who protested against the movie, it's quite bizarre to label it as "a great example of freedom of speech". It's a classic example of intimidation. Fully legal intimidation but intimidation nonetheless.
    Does it not occur to you that "let's not insult people" is sometimes a motivation that others have?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Well, certainly the customer is not an N-word.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You know her?

  3. #63
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    48,766

    Re: University of Maryland cancels ĎAmerican Sniperí after Muslim students complain

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    No, it's not. A truly open environment would allow the materials to be presented, but also allow for opportunities to discuss and critique. You should always err on the side of allowing distribution, but allow for retorts-whether that comes in another function or not.

    Of course it is an opinion, but it is very relevant given they espoused reasons for why the University should stop that showing. It's a critique of the rationale behind their objections.

    I know these subtleties come hard for you, but do please actually pretend to care what the university stands for as an institution in American society before resorting to such simplemindedness.
    A truly open environment would have presented bestiality porn. You're free to discuss and critique it.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Well, certainly the customer is not an N-word.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You know her?

  4. #64
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,931

    Re: University of Maryland cancels ĎAmerican Sniperí after Muslim students complain

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Does it not occur to you that "let's not insult people" is sometimes a motivation that others have?
    They seem to have insulted way more people by canceling the film than they would have if they went on with showing it if it made it to the news.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  5. #65
    User wanderlust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    In the sunshine
    Last Seen
    05-21-17 @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    78

    Re: University of Maryland cancels ĎAmerican Sniperí after Muslim students complain

    I'm personally on the fence with this. The simple truth is that it is just a movie and shouldn't decide or influence your own morals or beliefs. Not showing the movie will not really impact your life any more or less than the day before the movie was even a thought. I do think people should be careful about nationalistic themed movies that are part of the present day reality since it can stir up hatred and judgment if people take the film too personally or realistically. I understand the movie is based on a real person but even with that it's not something that must be seen or must be part of your day or life. Highly emotional movies can be a great way to learn perspective but we need to be careful not to let it influence us. If the movie gets cancelled then it gets cancelled. You can always watch it at home.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University of Maryland cancels ĎAmerican Sniperí after Muslim students complain

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Christians hate Muslims, and fundies on both sides are doing their damnedest to bring about a Christian/Muslim war that culminates in Armageddon.
    HUH??? IT is Muslims who are murdering Christians! Do you genuinely not know this? Maybe this will help. List of Islamic Terror Attacks on Christians

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University of Maryland cancels ĎAmerican Sniperí after Muslim students complain

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Funny how post 43 is being ignored. Same old hypocrisy at play.
    People peacefully protested, the movie was shown anyway and no one was killed or injured. What more is there to say?

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University of Maryland cancels ĎAmerican Sniperí after Muslim students complain

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    A truly open environment would have presented bestiality porn. You're free to discuss and critique it.
    Islam and bestiality. huh? Not the first time the connection was made, and in fact the Ayatollah Khomeini wrote a book on the subject, outlining the proper etiquette.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University of Maryland cancels ĎAmerican Sniperí after Muslim students complain

    Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    I'm personally on the fence with this. The simple truth is that it is just a movie and shouldn't decide or influence your own morals or beliefs. Not showing the movie will not really impact your life any more or less than the day before the movie was even a thought. I do think people should be careful about nationalistic themed movies that are part of the present day reality since it can stir up hatred and judgment if people take the film too personally or realistically. I understand the movie is based on a real person but even with that it's not something that must be seen or must be part of your day or life. Highly emotional movies can be a great way to learn perspective but we need to be careful not to let it influence us. If the movie gets cancelled then it gets cancelled. You can always watch it at home.
    Yeah, it's always just a movie. Or just a book. Or just a speech. And there will always be those who go along to get along, losing their freedoms chip by chip and never realizing when they are gone.

  10. #70
    User wanderlust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    In the sunshine
    Last Seen
    05-21-17 @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    78

    Re: University of Maryland cancels ĎAmerican Sniperí after Muslim students complain

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yeah, it's always just a movie. Or just a book. Or just a speech. And there will always be those who go along to get along, losing their freedoms chip by chip and never realizing when they are gone.
    The movie itself is not banned or illegal or anything like that though so you can't really make a connection towards a lost freedom or lost luxury. The university has the right to determine what activities occur on campus based on whatever reason they agree on. I don't think it's chipping away at our freedoms as much as it is just making concessions that probably didn't need to be made. The hype made both for and against the movie by overly passionate people I think contributed mostly to the movie being so controversial. Many people saw the movie as almost a religious experience that should be shown on repeat and other people saw it as a movie that glamorized war and emboldened negative passions towards Muslims, and so with that the movie became polarizing. I honestly just don't see it as anything other than that.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •