Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 366

Thread: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

  1. #321
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    173,772

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TextDriversKill View Post
    Liberals are knocking down straw men again. She didn't get the job SOLELY because she is black. But it was a big factor and that is as wrong as anything can be.
    true but I would argue a white woman with the same HS credentials as LL probably would not have been admitted to HLS and someone with only "cum laude" at Harvard who was a white male would not have been admitted into Harvard LS and so forth. Her race got her into a top law school and her race and that top law school degree got her her prior and current jobs
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  2. #322
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,620

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoVlaming View Post
    And you agree that disliking a nominee is a perfectly valid reason not to confirm him/her?
    That isn't what we were talking about.

    Go ask someone else random questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  3. #323
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,620

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TextDriversKill View Post
    Liberals are knocking down straw men again. She didn't get the job SOLELY because she is black. But it was a big factor and that is as wrong as anything can be.
    Nothing is being missed. Your side has yet to show any evidence at all that affirmative action had anything to do with her getting into any of her schools or getting any of her jobs. Unless you have evidence your side is just bitching cause a well qualified black person got a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  4. #324
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,867

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TextDriversKill View Post
    Liberals are knocking down straw men again. She didn't get the job SOLELY because she is black. But it was a big factor and that is as wrong as anything can be.
    No, not a straw man - I was responding to TD and the term "solely" is his. Here's the actual quote in its entirety:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1064560128

    "another affirmative action poster child who has spend almost 40 years getting positions solely due to her race"

    And if YOU have any evidence it was solely or mostly because she's black, other than she IS black, feel free to provide it. TD has struck out so far.

  5. #325
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,867

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    true but I would argue a white woman with the same HS credentials as LL probably would not have been admitted to HLS and someone with only "cum laude" at Harvard who was a white male would not have been admitted into Harvard LS and so forth. Her race got her into a top law school and her race and that top law school degree got her her prior and current jobs
    But if her rich daddy got her into Harvard and her connections through rich daddy and that degree got her her prior and current jobs, it's all good. I think we understand how it works in America.

    And here's the thing - lots of blacks (and rich boys and athletes and others) have received preferences into the elite schools. But very few of them have had careers as successful as Lynch's. So at some point reasonable people without a burr up their rear end recognize that along with the initial preferences that got her a start, she has a very successful and distinguished 30 year career, and that reflects on her work ethic and ability to do a good job in a number of different settings, in the public and private sectors.

  6. #326
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    173,772

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    Nothing is being missed. Your side has yet to show any evidence at all that affirmative action had anything to do with her getting into any of her schools or getting any of her jobs. Unless you have evidence your side is just bitching cause a well qualified black person got a job.

    that's really dishonest. of course Obama is not going to say he picked her because she is a black female. Of course Harvard is not going to admit that if she was a white male or even a white female with a 3.3-3.5 average at harvard, that candidate would not have been admitted. But its pretty obvious to anyone who was applying to big name law schools the SAME exact year she did that blacks were getting huge breaks

    I posted several years ago proof that in 1981 blacks applying to harvard had .5 added to their GPA and 130 points on the LSAT which when LL and I took the LSAT, it was an 800 scale

    So a WHITE MALE with a 3.75 from harvard college and a 750 LSAT score (someone who had about a 50-50 chance of admission at Harvard at BEST) was going to be passed over in favor of a black who had a 3.3 (+.5=3.8) and a 650 LSAT(+ 130=780) score.

    If you (I know you didn't) ever looked at the admissions charts at Harvard you would have seen a graph

    the up bar started at around 2.0 and each box increased by .20 or .25 culminating with 4.0 (GPA)

    the horizontal bar started at around 600 and culminated (25 points per box) with a 800

    those at the very top 3.8-4.0 and 775 or higher still had rejection rates of over 30%
    the next box each way (someone with a top LSAT but say a 3.7 GPA) or a 4 point with a 750-775 LSAT had less than a third of a chance of being admitted. (especially if that GPA was not from Amherst, MIT, Yale or similar)

    those two boxes back or down had almost no chance

    but then down in the 3.3-3.5 area and around 640-660 we saw a fair amount (over 50 IIRC for the Class of 1984) who got into the school. and yes, those were the affirmative action admissions.

    in a speech to interested Yale Undergrads at Yale law school, the lady dean of admissions for Harvard admitted that harvard had an "aggressive affirmative action program" and when questioned about that group of acceptances, refused to say all were black but did admit that this was proof of that "aggressive policy"

    Yale law did the same thing, There is a report from a black law professor who applied to yale and harvard. one law school immediately accepted him, the other turned him down. When he called and inquired as to his rejection, he was told that the school didn't know he was black. He chose to attend the school that did and had let him in even though his initial rejection was overturned.

    and yes, when LL applied to Harvard, hundreds upon hundreds of better qualified whites were turned down
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  7. #327
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    173,772

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    But if her rich daddy got her into Harvard and her connections through rich daddy and that degree got her her prior and current jobs, it's all good. I think we understand how it works in America.

    And here's the thing - lots of blacks (and rich boys and athletes and others) have received preferences into the elite schools. But very few of them have had careers as successful as Lynch's. So at some point reasonable people without a burr up their rear end recognize that along with the initial preferences that got her a start, she has a very successful and distinguished 30 year career, and that reflects on her work ethic and ability to do a good job in a number of different settings, in the public and private sectors.
    you don't know much about being a US attorney do you?
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  8. #328
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,867

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that's really dishonest. of course Obama is not going to say he picked her because she is a black female. Of course Harvard is not going to admit that if she was a white male or even a white female with a 3.3-3.5 average at harvard, that candidate would not have been admitted. But its pretty obvious to anyone who was applying to big name law schools the SAME exact year she did that blacks were getting huge breaks
    Once again, if the topic was AA and her admission into Harvard or HLS, all that's relevant. But what we're discussing is this and other similar assertions by you:

    "another affirmative action poster child who has spend almost 40 years getting positions solely due to her race"

    She graduated LS in 1984. It's 2015. She's had a 30 year career since then. At this point her academic records and test scores simply aren't relevant.

  9. #329
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,867

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you don't know much about being a US attorney do you?
    Tell us what it is that's different for Lynch than for, say, Chris Christie or any of the hundreds of USAs appointed in the last 20 years or so?

    Christie is a white male so I assume he earned that position in your view, so what is it that makes Lynch's appointment, twice, tainted, solely because she is black? I can't wait for this explanation.....

  10. #330
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,620

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that's really dishonest. of course Obama is not going to say he picked her because she is a black female. Of course Harvard is not going to admit that if she was a white male or even a white female with a 3.3-3.5 average at harvard, that candidate would not have been admitted. But its pretty obvious to anyone who was applying to big name law schools the SAME exact year she did that blacks were getting huge breaks

    I posted several years ago proof that in 1981 blacks applying to harvard had .5 added to their GPA and 130 points on the LSAT which when LL and I took the LSAT, it was an 800 scale

    So a WHITE MALE with a 3.75 from harvard college and a 750 LSAT score (someone who had about a 50-50 chance of admission at Harvard at BEST) was going to be passed over in favor of a black who had a 3.3 (+.5=3.8) and a 650 LSAT(+ 130=780) score.

    If you (I know you didn't) ever looked at the admissions charts at Harvard you would have seen a graph

    the up bar started at around 2.0 and each box increased by .20 or .25 culminating with 4.0 (GPA)

    the horizontal bar started at around 600 and culminated (25 points per box) with a 800

    those at the very top 3.8-4.0 and 775 or higher still had rejection rates of over 30%
    the next box each way (someone with a top LSAT but say a 3.7 GPA) or a 4 point with a 750-775 LSAT had less than a third of a chance of being admitted. (especially if that GPA was not from Amherst, MIT, Yale or similar)

    those two boxes back or down had almost no chance

    but then down in the 3.3-3.5 area and around 640-660 we saw a fair amount (over 50 IIRC for the Class of 1984) who got into the school. and yes, those were the affirmative action admissions.

    in a speech to interested Yale Undergrads at Yale law school, the lady dean of admissions for Harvard admitted that harvard had an "aggressive affirmative action program" and when questioned about that group of acceptances, refused to say all were black but did admit that this was proof of that "aggressive policy"

    Yale law did the same thing, There is a report from a black law professor who applied to yale and harvard. one law school immediately accepted him, the other turned him down. When he called and inquired as to his rejection, he was told that the school didn't know he was black. He chose to attend the school that did and had let him in even though his initial rejection was overturned.

    and yes, when LL applied to Harvard, hundreds upon hundreds of better qualified whites were turned down
    DO YOU HAVE ANY EVIDENCE THAT LORETTA LYNCH IS UNQUALIFIED FOR THE JOB?

    So far your complain is that she didn't graduate magna cum laude and that she wasn't a top prosecutor (even though she was the top prosecutor in Brooklyn).

    Do you have anything other than you tirade against those over-privileged black people?
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •