Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 366

Thread: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

  1. #301
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    170,203

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Which explains your position favoring that type of preferences while opposing those not for your crowd.

    I would hope that rational and intelligent people judge policies by a bit more than is it good for their own selfish concerns.
    good athletes help a school more than people who have no standout skills.

    legacies support the university and allow meritorious students to attend without being crushed by debt.

    racism is evil Haymarket but you seem to support it because affirmative action benefits groups that tend to vote Democrat. That is really selfish as well as being racist because affirmative action is based on the racist attitude that blacks cannot actually get the credentials on their own that would allow them to compete with whites and asians
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  2. #302
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    84,319

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    If a white president appointed successive white appointees would you be crying racism?

    They were completely qualified candidates. The majority of his cabinet and appointed positions are white. But he's had two black in a row in one position? Well that just doesn't sit well with TD.That spot should be given to a white person. Because that's whats right.

    If anyone is curious as to why sometimes republicans get labeled racist, have a good read through of this thread.
    Amen brother... amen. But its racism all scrubbed clean and bright with libertarian philosophy on it trying to disguise it pretending its now something else. Put some fancy lipstick on a pig - it is still a pig.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #303
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    170,203

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Amen brother... amen. But its racism all scrubbed clean and bright with libertarian philosophy on it trying to disguise it pretending its now something else. Put some fancy lipstick on a pig - it is still a pig.
    its not the libertarians who institutionally claim blacks cannot make it on their own and need to be beholden to Democrat Party masters to be given positions they couldn't own on their own
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  4. #304
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    84,319

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    good athletes help a school more than people who have no standout skills.

    legacies support the university and allow meritorious students to attend without being crushed by debt.

    racism is evil Haymarket but you seem to support it because affirmative action benefits groups that tend to vote Democrat. That is really selfish as well as being racist because affirmative action is based on the racist attitude that blacks cannot actually get the credentials on their own that would allow them to compete with whites and asians
    You are NOT accurately repeating my position. I have stated over and over again that I favor the absolute best being admitted to colleges with no preferences for anyone - and that includes legacies - athletes - musicians - minorities - or anyone else. I really do NOT care if the entire incoming class at some school is made up Asian females... or white males ..... or black transgender folks.... as long as they are the best according to the academic standard agreed upon.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #305
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    84,319

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    its not the libertarians who institutionally claim blacks cannot make it on their own and need to be beholden to Democrat Party masters to be given positions they couldn't own on their own
    Where did I say it was?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #306
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    170,203

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You are NOT accurately repeating my position. I have stated over and over again that I favor the absolute best being admitted to colleges with no preferences for anyone - and that includes legacies - athletes - musicians - minorities - or anyone else. I really do NOT care if the entire incoming class at some school is made up Asian females... or white males ..... or black transgender folks.... as long as they are the best according to the academic standard agreed upon.
    you support the democrat imposed racial spoils system. I do not. and I tire of the Democrat party engaging in activity that furthers racial divides
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  7. #307
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    170,203

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Where did I say it was?
    your adoption of another poster's post pretty much said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  8. #308
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,940

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    true one is based on race which violates Title VII
    No, preferences given to e.g. a chess master/violinist are based on merit, just a different standard than GPA and test scores. Same with an athlete. Legacy admissions aren't preferred based on merit but who their daddy or momma is and how much money they have donated to the school.

    And at the time the offer to Lynch was legal, and it's obviously legal for her to accept any offer from Harvard. Once she was admitted and graduated, also entirely legal and appropriate for her to note that on her job applications and use it to her advantage same way you use your Yale education to yours.

    And why is Lynch's entire CAREER illegitimate because she was admitted to college more than 30 years ago based on admission preferences, but your rich buddies admitted under legacy preferences are legitimately allowed to use their degrees for career advancement.

    I know the answer - preferences should only go to the privileged elite, not to the proles. That seems to be your bottom line.

  9. #309
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    170,203

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    No, preferences given to e.g. a chess master/violinist are based on merit, just a different standard than GPA and test scores. Same with an athlete. Legacy admissions aren't preferred based on merit but who their daddy or momma is and how much money they have donated to the school.

    And at the time the offer to Lynch was legal, and it's obviously legal for her to accept any offer from Harvard. Once she was admitted and graduated, also entirely legal and appropriate for her to note that on her job applications and use it to her advantage same way you use your Yale education to yours.

    And why is Lynch's entire CAREER illegitimate because she was admitted to college more than 30 years ago based on admission preferences, but your rich buddies admitted under legacy preferences are legitimately allowed to use their degrees for career advancement.

    I know the answer - preferences should only go to the privileged elite, not to the proles. That seems to be your bottom line.
    you are dancing around the the issue

    Years ago, when I was a young trial lawyer, a case was being heard over the value of land that had been appropriated by eminent domain. The senior partner of my firm was the counsel for the landowner and he was cross examining the expert hired by the state as to the value of the land.

    The expert spent two hours detailing all the times he had been hired as an expert by government units. All the times he had testified. That wasn't at issue. The Plaintiff's counsel (my boss) asked ONE question

    "that's all very impressive Mr. X but isn't it a fact that you were hired for every one of those matters due to the fact that you were the governor's brother in law?"

    we won the case
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  10. #310
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,940

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    good athletes help a school more than people who have no standout skills.
    Merit based - of course colleges should give preferences to people based on merit, and test scores and GPA are obviously not the only way to measure merit.

    legacies support the university and allow meritorious students to attend without being crushed by debt.
    But whether there is some net societal good from legacy admissions for kids of rich parents (it's not the issue on this thread, so we can accept it for the purpose here) doesn't really affect whether or not the career of someone whose daddy bought them a ticket into Harvard is legitimate, but someone who got a ticket to Harvard based on the color of their skin is illegitimate. The ticket is either merit based or not. Daddy buying it isn't merit based, same as a racial preference isn't merit based.

    You're trying hard to distinguish them, but you'll continue to fail. You've dismissed Lynch's entire "40 year" career based because of how she got her ticket - not based on merit. If you want to assert that, then surely you will dismiss the careers of legacy admissions.

    racism is evil Haymarket but you seem to support it because affirmative action benefits groups that tend to vote Democrat. That is really selfish as well as being racist because affirmative action is based on the racist attitude that blacks cannot actually get the credentials on their own that would allow them to compete with whites and asians
    Legacy admissions are based on the attitude that kids of rich parents cannot get the credentials on their own that would allow them to compete. They need daddy's help.

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •