Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 366

Thread: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

  1. #261
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    while I have lots of issues with civil forfeiture, in many cases it is justified.
    And that some how justifies out right theft by police in all the cases where it is in no way justified?
    PeteEU

  2. #262
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    And that some how justifies out right theft by police in all the cases where it is in no way justified?
    the Police have to convince a jury by a preponderance of the evidence that the money or property was drug proceeds



  3. #263
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,730

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Michelle Obama claims it was legacy admissions that got her into princeton not her color.
    Holy red herring batman!! Remember, the topic is Lynch and her qualifications for AG.

    So, let's try again, since the lawyer seems to have a reading comprehension problem:

    3) The topic is Lynch. She didn't fail out. She graduated from Harvard, HLS, and has had a distinguished 30 year career.

    4) Whether Lynch earned her appointment to AG is completely unrelated to her college test scores, her GPA and class ranking. She graduated law school 30 years ago. From that day forward, what matters is her record in her various jobs both in the public and private sector. When was the last time you cared about any politician's academic record who wasn't black or a woman? Never is a good guess.

    5) You're entire argument is nothing more than Lynch was a beneficiary of AA in college. You ignore everything because you don't know anything about her career between 1984 and 2015 and conclude that her entire career is due "solely" to AA promotions. It's a transparently stupid and indefensible argument that has as a core assumption that a black woman cannot succeed based on her merits. It would be offensive if I cared about your opinion, and only not transparently racist because an elitist snobbery explains it just as well.

  4. #264
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Holy red herring batman!! Remember, the topic is Lynch and her qualifications for AG.

    So, let's try again, since the lawyer seems to have a reading comprehension problem:

    someone without a reading comprehension problem would remember claims that legacies are for rich white men

    L2's record was based on getting jobs due to her race. like being a US attorney



  5. #265
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,730

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    she didn't make the sort of grades whites needed to get into Harvard law
    I hope you practice law better than you debate. This was your assertion:

    You all just hate to admit that affirmative racism was what drove her selection (to several positions)
    How she got into law school is completely irrelevant to determining how she got a series of public and private sector jobs over a 30 year period after she graduated by law school.

  6. #266
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,730

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    someone without a reading comprehension problem would remember claims that legacies are for rich white men
    Legacy admissions isn't the topic.

    L2's record was based on getting jobs due to her race. like being a US attorney
    That's a baseless claim. Literally without any foundation. You have offered not even a whiff of evidence, not even an attempt at a persuasive case, for that assertion. Your evidence that she got those jobs solely because of her race is SHE is BLACK. That's it. The underlying assumption in your argument is black women cannot rise to power based on their own merits.

    1. She got the job due to her race.
    2. We know that because she's black.

    That's your case so far.

    If you want to make that racist case, do so explicitly instead of hiding behind laughable arguments. You're supposedly a smart lawyer, so you must know your so-called arguments are crap. Not sure who you think you're fooling.

  7. #267
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I hope you practice law better than you debate. This was your assertion:



    How she got into law school is completely irrelevant to determining how she got a series of public and private sector jobs over a 30 year period after she graduated by law school.
    your love for her is touching. Or is it love for Obama?

    and since you don't practice law, you really don't appear to have a real understanding about this matter



  8. #268
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    civil forfeiture is almost alway aimed at criminal activities

    its a complicated issue and the standard of proof changed in the last ten years. And I tried a bunch of these cases.

    This would be grounds for a civil forfeiture case

    David is a drug dealer. He has no known source of income other than drug dealing. He buys an expensive car and puts it in his father's name. his father is the "owner of record". One day the feds seize the car claiming it is the proceeds of drug sales that paid for the car. David doesn't make a claim on the car because he has no legitimate income. Rather, Steve, David's father makes the claim. He is not charged with any criminal offense so the forfeiture case is CIVIL. (as opposed to say an indictment against David listing say 100K in case seized along with two kilos of cocaine in David'd apartment during a search warrant execution)

    So Steve files a claim to the car saying he has the title. The US Attorney brings in the car salesman who testifies that it was David who test drove the car. It was David who specified what extras the car would come with but Yes Steve "bought the car"

    this happens all the time

    In another case. Bill was a drug dealer. His mother and father combined made about 120K a year. Bill and his brother went out and bought a safe one day and put it in his parents' house.. the regional drug task force constantly saw Bill going in and out of his parents house driving a pimped out truck. Bill's income tax form for the prior 3 years indicated less than 8K a year in income. Warrants were obtained and the Parents' house was searched and the pimped out truck seized. The truck title had mom owning the truck even though it was not the style of vehicle a 65 year old Black female would drive but a common style for 30 year old drug dealers (heavily tinted windows, spinner rims etc)

    in the safe was 300K in cash that two different dogs hit on. NOTHING belonging to the parents. the money was bundled in the same manner, and denominations as money seized from the Drug dealer's home. same color rubber bans. Stacks of 1000 dollars with the same packaging. 4 hundreds, four fifties ten twenties and the rest in tens or fives.

    when the raid took place, one kid still living with the parents said the safe was "bill's". The father was unaware of the safe and the money. When the mother came home the cops asked for the combination. She walked away and came back and opened it. Cell phone records indicated she called Bill right before opening the safe

    so again this was a civil forfeiture because the "owner" of the safe was not indicted for drug dealing

    while I have lots of issues with civil forfeiture, in many cases it is justified.
    But I thought that people aren't categorically against civil asset forfeiture, but rather those cases which tend not to be anything near the seemingly shut and dry case you cite?
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  9. #269
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Oh where? The worst offenders are the red states... just saying..
    Really, many off them do have their knickers in a knot about it.

    Rand Paul introduces bill to reform civil asset forfeiture
    http://walberg.house.gov/issueshome/caf.htm
    Last edited by Montecresto; 04-26-15 at 10:23 PM.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  10. #270
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Republicans in the Michigan Legislature make private property protections a priority | FreedomWorks

    In Montana,
    The bipartisan bill, introduced by state Rep. Kelly McCarthy (D-Billings) and cosponsored by state Daniel Zolnikov (R-Billings), passed the Republican-controlled Montana House of Representatives in March with strong bipartisan support.
    http://danielzolnikov.com/tag/asset-forfeiture/

    Republican New Mexico governor signed reform legislation passed by a strong bi-partisan state congress.
    http://www.abqjournal.com/567761/new...t-seizure.html
    Last edited by Montecresto; 04-26-15 at 11:35 PM.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •