Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 366

Thread: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

  1. #231
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,943

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    yeah I guess some drug dealer who has 200K in cash lying around but only reported 10K in income is poor. Think about it, if people targeted for asset forfeiture were truly poor-what would the government get from seizing their almost non-existent assets?
    meh poor is relative. Just take their smartphone, which even the homeless "trick" in "nightcrawler" had, and that'll deter every minimum wage bum from hiding their $15 savings

  2. #232
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    03-24-17 @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    11,659

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TextDriversKill View Post
    Fantastic news - for latin america. Obama and lynch have no intention of enforcing our immigration laws. They have invited all of latin america to dump their welfare bums on america.
    Kinda like what the earlier generations did with those 'damned Irish', Poles, Slavs, and other 'lesser folk' that huddled masses bit. far more of the 'nativists' forefathers came here steerage than first class.

    But the haters don't like REAL history invoked....

  3. #233
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,943

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you don't seem to understand this issue. what benefit does a university get by letting in black students with much lower scores and who often struggle to pass? I remember an interesting conversation that featured the late great Robert Dahl-one of Yale's top Professors. Dahl, certainly no conservative, heard a student complain about legacy admissions and Dahl asked him if he was paying full tuition. And the student admitted he was getting aid. And Dahl smiled and said-rich legacies are the reason why you can go here and not get hit by a ton of debt and why I can work here and make at least some what as much as I would for the Rand Corporation
    True in the past but with $10 billion or whatever, yale could ignore all legacies and still give free rides to the poor kids

    Basically value of degree generates wealthy alums, whether they started poor or not, who in turn donate those billions. In addition, Yale doesn't need to give preference to C students whose parents can cough up $50k/year any more, not when most qualified students will fall in the 1% anyway

    I don't blame that kid's frustration, because those legacies have had *everything* handed to them, including undeserved admission AND a free education (parents pay for it), and a cruise trip during spring break etc etc.

  4. #234
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,943

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    wrong, if there was a pure meritocracy on law school admissions and the AG job, there's be more Asians and far less blacks
    why do you care if the AG was picked on meritocracy, when the president himself is not picked that way? Nor anyone in elected office, including the vast majority of judges

    What i find more disturbing is this notion of dem or repub judges. I mean wtf? I thought the law is supposed to be as clear as possible and not subject to political interpretation

  5. #235
    Sage

    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,335

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Kinda like what the earlier generations did with those 'damned Irish', Poles, Slavs, and other 'lesser folk' that huddled masses bit. far more of the 'nativists' forefathers came here steerage than first class.

    But the haters don't like REAL history invoked....
    Those people were not illegally sneaking into our country, but arrived at Ellis Island legally!; where they were processed by the proper authorities. Sure, they may have arrived by steerage, but they did pay to get a seat on those boats, even though most were very poor. They went on to become citizens by working hard to learn English, worked hard on the jobs they got, bought houses and raised families. Their children and grandchildren helped to make this country great. There was no need to offer amnesty to them - they earned their right to be here, and they were here legally! Most of the people in our country today are the offspring of legal immigrants that came here during the early years of the 20th Century, me included. They adopted our customs, and assimilated into our society, instead of trying to change America to suit them, which seems to be a big problem with the illegals today. They want the benefits without any effort on their part to become legal citizens, and that's wrong. We owe them nothing - they owe this country, and it's time they realized that!

  6. #236
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,517

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you don't seem to understand this issue. what benefit does a university get by letting in black students with much lower scores and who often struggle to pass? I remember an interesting conversation that featured the late great Robert Dahl-one of Yale's top Professors. Dahl, certainly no conservative, heard a student complain about legacy admissions and Dahl asked him if he was paying full tuition. And the student admitted he was getting aid. And Dahl smiled and said-rich legacies are the reason why you can go here and not get hit by a ton of debt and why I can work here and make at least some what as much as I would for the Rand Corporation
    Like I said, for some reason rich white boys defend AA for rich white boys. Weird how that works. Of course rich white boys justify AA for their own kids - they're rich, they're entitled to special treatment. Black kids not so much.

    BTW, MIT manages to fund their endowment without legacy admissions. It's an excuse for legacy admissions, not the reason for them.

  7. #237
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,517

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    You seem obsessed with trying to pretend Obama's selection was based on merit when it wasn't.
    No, I'm enjoying pointing out how stupid your argument is. You have no idea how her selection was made and you haven't demonstrated any knowledge of her competence or record over a 30 year career spanning a significant amount of time in both the public and private sectors. Whether she earned that post simply isn't based on her GPA in college and LS in the early 1980s. What is several orders of magnitude more important is her work over her subsequent career, and whether she has the political skill, public relations skills, interpersonal skills, and leadership skills developed over that career to succeed in an inherently political job. You know jack squat about that and apparently don't even care about her career - all you need to know is her academic record, which you judge based on made up criteria, conclude she's a failure, as a student and as a professional in the law.

    All you see is black woman =====>>>> unqualified.

    given how few blacks are really top law school graduates, your argument is silly. You act as if there are an equal number of blacks who really earned their way into top law schools as there are whites.
    "When was the last time you obsessed about a white man's college record appointed to any political position? My guess is never. Without looking it up on wiki, you can't tell me the first thing about the education of Meese, Ashcroft, Thornburgh, etc. No one cares, or should care except as trivia, because it's irrelevant about 5 years after they left college and had a record in their careers."

  8. #238
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,517

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you don't seem to understand this issue. what benefit does a university get by letting in black students with much lower scores and who often struggle to pass? I remember an interesting conversation that featured the late great Robert Dahl-one of Yale's top Professors. Dahl, certainly no conservative, heard a student complain about legacy admissions and Dahl asked him if he was paying full tuition. And the student admitted he was getting aid. And Dahl smiled and said-rich legacies are the reason why you can go here and not get hit by a ton of debt and why I can work here and make at least some what as much as I would for the Rand Corporation
    BTW, nice story, but I'm still waiting on some evidence for the stats you're pulling out of your rear on this issue. Is it 2,000 white boys or 1,000 or 1,200 (including women) and 20x seems to be an unlikely round number.
    Last edited by JasperL; 04-26-15 at 11:39 AM.

  9. #239
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    11-19-15 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    I don't blame that kid's frustration, because those legacies have had *everything* handed to them, including undeserved admission AND a free education (parents pay for it), and a cruise trip during spring break etc etc.
    Big difference between your parents giving you money and the govt taking money from working strangers and giving the money to you.

  10. #240
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,517

    Re: Senate confirms lynch as attorney general. 10 "republicans" vote for her

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    yeah I guess some drug dealer who has 200K in cash lying around but only reported 10K in income is poor. Think about it, if people targeted for asset forfeiture were truly poor-what would the government get from seizing their almost non-existent assets?
    Poor, middle class, wealthy - not the point. The point is cops seizing money/assets and not having to prove an actual crime was committed. And the incredibly corrosive incentives when the police department seizing the money gets to keep the money as part of their funding. It's an invitation for abuse.

Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •