Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3846474849 LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 484

Thread: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury[W:216]

  1. #471
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury[W:216]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    If someone already has to unlock you from the cage, you are still waiting on someone to help you.

    Duh.
    But you don't have t wait for them to unbuckle you. I think you're finally getting the pont

  2. #472
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,226

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury[W:216]

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    But you don't have t wait for them to unbuckle you. I think you're finally getting the pont
    At that point it really doesn't matter. You claim the seatbelt is dangerous for its ability to trap a handcuffed person in a hypothetical emergency while completely ignoring the locked cage they are in.

    It's just ridiculous. And the fact that this ridiculous point was used in defense of people who wound up with a dead guy on their hands, whether it was their fault or not, is just brutal and biased and shortsighted. Ridiculous, in a word.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  3. #473
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury[W:216]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    At that point it really doesn't matter. You claim the seatbelt is dangerous for its ability to trap a handcuffed person in a hypothetical emergency while completely ignoring the locked cage they are in.

    It's just ridiculous. And the fact that this ridiculous point was used in defense of people who wound up with a dead guy on their hands, whether it was their fault or not, is just brutal and biased and shortsighted. Ridiculous, in a word.
    It matters if you're the one trapped, unless you're also one who believes it's someone else's responsibility to save you

  4. #474
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,226

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury[W:216]

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    It matters if you're the one trapped, unless you're also one who believes it's someone else's responsibility to save you
    Before the hypothetical emergency, the seatbelt is keeping you from bouncing around inside the metal cage. Especially without the use of your hands to help keep you off the walls. A car accident (which is the most likely source of something requiring rescue) would do far more damage without a seatbelt on. In fact, the Baltimore police vans in particular have proven a dangerous method of conveyance in the past for some people being transported.

    ...but you seem to think all of those risks are completely overshadowed by the risk of the vehicle spontaneously catching fire, in such a way that there would be time to open the cage but not the seatbelt.

    It's just not well thought out from your end.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  5. #475
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury[W:216]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    Before the hypothetical emergency, the seatbelt is keeping you from bouncing around inside the metal cage. Especially without the use of your hands to help keep you off the walls. A car accident (which is the most likely source of something requiring rescue) would do far more damage without a seatbelt on. In fact, the Baltimore police vans in particular have proven a dangerous method of conveyance in the past for some people being transported.

    ...but you seem to think all of those risks are completely overshadowed by the risk of the vehicle spontaneously catching fire, in such a way that there would be time to open the cage but not the seatbelt.

    It's just not well thought out from your end.
    It's hyperbole to say one would be bouncing around in the back of the truck. I've ridden in the backs of many trucks with no seatbelt without being bounced around. Feel free to entrust your safety and your life to others. I have no objection to that, but then I'm not a liberal

  6. #476
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,226

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury[W:216]

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    It's hyperbole to say one would be bouncing around in the back of the truck. I've ridden in the backs of many trucks with no seatbelt without being bounced around. Feel free to entrust your safety and your life to others. I have no objection to that, but then I'm not a liberal
    Yes, yes, "entrust my freedom and safety to others". Like, trust them to drive extra cautiously while I'm unsecured in the back of the van?
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  7. #477
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,456

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury[W:216]

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    It's hyperbole to say one would be bouncing around in the back of the truck. I've ridden in the backs of many trucks with no seatbelt without being bounced around. Feel free to entrust your safety and your life to others. I have no objection to that, but then I'm not a liberal
    With your hands and feet shackled?

    A person is like a piece of furniture not tied down back there -

    Part of giving them a rough ride is purposely to rough them up.

  8. #478
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury[W:216]

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    With your hands and feet shackled?

    A person is like a piece of furniture not tied down back there -

    Part of giving them a rough ride is purposely to rough them up.
    You're assuming they gave him a rough ride

  9. #479
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    29,459

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury[W:216]

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    Part of giving them a rough ride is purposely to rough them up.
    There is no evidence of a rough ride.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle

  10. #480
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury[W:216]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    There is no evidence of a rough ride.
    The rough ride is another case of liberals making stuff up to present an argument, just like "Hands up, don't shoot"

Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3846474849 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •