Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 484

Thread: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury[W:216]

  1. #161
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,533

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Sure, he should have just stood there, and volunteered to be arrested on a BS charge with up to a year in jail and a $500 fine. It's one of those BS arrests he was trying to avoid, and you don't want to connect the dots.
    You don't know that would happen, it is just as likely that if he were doing everything else right, that he would have been detained for a short time, his pocket knife confiscated, and him either sent on his way with a warning, or a ticket.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #162
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,533

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    They appear not to have been suspects except for the act of living in a high crime neighborhood and of running away from police. If you hear "stop" do you assume that constitutes a lawful order, personally directed at you, to do so? I understand the officer's frustration with having drugs sales (and the related property/violent crime) occurring but also understand the frustration of everyone living in that neighborhood being subjected to constant police harassment - the nerve of a convicted felon to carry an "illegal" pocket knife in a dangerous neighborhood!
    Are you actually saying that the law should be circumstantial?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #163
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,751

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Are you actually saying that the law should be circumstantial?
    The law, or at least its enforcement, is circumstantial.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #164
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,533

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    As do most (if not all) other residents of that dangerous (high crime) neighborhood. How dangerous is having someone running away from you?
    Wait, hold on here....Are you actually saying that you concede it is a "high crime neighborhood" to use your words, and the solution to make it a safer place is to NOT police in the neighborhood? Really?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #165
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    01-20-17 @ 04:47 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,519

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    OK, forget China. What's the mitigating stat for France, who somehow runs a developed country with 1/7th the number incarcerated? We're five times the UK. Look at the stats for any country on the planet. We're still #1! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    Cultural differences are a *****, huh?

  6. #166
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,533

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The law, or at least its enforcement, is circumstantial.
    No, the law is clear...The outcome of situations depends on the actions of both parties...ie, person of interest runs, becomes a suspect, at that point what could have been a conversation, turns into an altercation....Now, who forced that issue, the police? or the suspect that ran? I say the suspect.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #167
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    21,137

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Well of course that's what you'd say. I imagine you see the U.S. incarceration rate 7 times that of France, 5 times that of China etc., and chant "We're Number 1! USA! USA! USA!!"
    So you are saying that there is NO possible way, and that the evidence eliminates all OTHER possibilities, and the only POSSIBLE conclusion beyond any REASONABLE DOUBT is that the police did it? And that they are at fault.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  8. #168
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,751

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Wait, hold on here....Are you actually saying that you concede it is a "high crime neighborhood" to use your words, and the solution to make it a safer place is to NOT police in the neighborhood? Really?
    Policing the neighborhood need not include frequent take (shake?) downs of the usual suspects.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #169
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,751

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, the law is clear...The outcome of situations depends on the actions of both parties...ie, person of interest runs, becomes a suspect, at that point what could have been a conversation, turns into an altercation....Now, who forced that issue, the police? or the suspect that ran? I say the suspect.
    That is the crux of the matter. What was the police interest, in that person, before they ran? Of the two "suspects" that ran, why did one end up dead?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #170
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,187

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I see, so if I don't agree with your outlook on the situation, then your argument is to insult me....Way to lose the argument Jasper.
    I wasn't insulting you, just being sarcastic because you didn't address any of the comment except to dismiss it. And I've yet to see any notion that you have a problem with a broken system that does have 12 MILLION arrests per year and jails more and more per capita than any nation on the planet.

    I don't understand people who can know how the system can make felons out of people guilty of only petty, non violent crimes, dismiss that process, and dismiss deaths resulting from it by blaming any bad consequence on the person whose main 'crime' is being poor and getting caught up in a broken system. It's largely how we HAVE 7 times the people jailed as France and literally are Number ONE! in that category.

    And someone above was talking about the problem is a lack of respect for police. OK, in this case the cops detained a guy for suspicion of running, and charged him with having an illegal knife, 1 year in jail and $500 fine. While he's in custody, he repeatedly says he can't breath, asks for an inhaler, requests medical attention over and over while being transported, all those requests ignored, and he shows up at the police station in a coma that he never emerges from. Even then it takes a half hour to call an ambulance and transport him to the hospital. What about that chain of events builds trust in the community?

Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •