Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 484

Thread: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury[W:216]

  1. #91
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,209

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Actually, the original claim was, "More USA people were killed by Police in the last 10 years than were killed in the Iraq War." And that's true.

    And the relevant point to me is we're immune as a country to about 3 deadly police shootings every day. The vast majority are justified, but the numbers are a pretty good indication about the militarization of the police in this country. And the numbers are steady, despite decreases in underlying crime that have been going on for decades.
    Justifiable homicide by police average about 400 per years. In 2012 there were over 12 million arrests and just over 400 deaths.

    Fatal police shootings occur in tiny percentage of arrests in U.S., Milwaukee's police chief says | PolitiFact Wisconsin
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  2. #92
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,209

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    Perhaps they should hire more physically fit cops so they don't have to rely on excessive uses of force to get their point across. You know, like that fat cop in Florida who tazed that girl because he had no hope of catching her, the one who smacked her head on the pavement and died?
    These cops looked pretty fit. They were riding bicycles.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  3. #93
    Guru
    csbrown28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,047

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I have noticed you starting a fair number of these 'bad cops' threads?


    I just see cops as people. Some are good, some are bad.

    You seem to be fixating on the bad for some reason.
    I would say most are good and a few are bad, however the culture that exists, which I am familiar with has little if any mechanism for weeding out the bad. I know several police officers and it may surprise you to know they all support body cameras and greater accountability. They have all confided that they have seen others do things that could be classified as "unnecessary to illegal", but to "rat" out a fellow police officer is to make yourself a pariah within your department. You risk your job and in some cases your safety. Body cameras would help weed out bad cops and protect the good ones. It would also discourage "bad" cops from wanting to become cops.

    So yes, I have started several threads on abuse by police. My hope is a call for change in police culture, training and tactics.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary (or faith) depends upon his not understanding it.”

  4. #94
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,844

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Justifiable homicide by police average about 400 per years. In 2012 there were over 12 million arrests and just over 400 deaths.

    Fatal police shootings occur in tiny percentage of arrests in U.S., Milwaukee's police chief says | PolitiFact Wisconsin
    If you followed any of the various links, you know that number (400) is KNOWN to understate the total. The actual death toll from police shootings is closer to 1,000. I've provided the links.

    The equivalent number per capita in the UK is 18 per year.

    FWIW, the number of arrests is just another symptom of our IMO broken system, as is the fact we have more prisoners and more prisoners per capita than any country on the planet. We're at 700, France - 100, UK - 150, etc. per 100,000.

  5. #95
    Guru
    csbrown28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,047

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Another puppet dancing to the tune of "The system is broken we must tear it down and replace it" Never stopping to ask "Replace it with what?"
    Another strawman.....*sigh*

    Want to debate the topic? Cool, I'll be waiting.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary (or faith) depends upon his not understanding it.”

  6. #96
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by csbrown28 View Post
    Another strawman.....*sigh*

    Want to debate the topic? Cool, I'll be waiting.
    Your topic starts from the premise cops are terrible.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #97
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,209

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    If you followed any of the various links, you know that number (400) is KNOWN to understate the total. The actual death toll from police shootings is closer to 1,000. I've provided the links.

    The equivalent number per capita in the UK is 18 per year.

    FWIW, the number of arrests is just another symptom of our IMO broken system, as is the fact we have more prisoners and more prisoners per capita than any country on the planet. We're at 700, France - 100, UK - 150, etc. per 100,000.
    what that like .01%?

    The vast majority of those killed did something stupid at the wrong time rather than simply comply.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  8. #98
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,133

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    These cops looked pretty fit. They were riding bicycles.
    Then there's no reason a skinny guy like that should have suffered such a devastating neck injury while in police custody, barring a suicide attempt off the top bunk.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  9. #99
    Guru
    csbrown28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,047

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Justifiable homicide by police average about 400 per years. In 2012 there were over 12 million arrests and just over 400 deaths.

    Fatal police shootings occur in tiny percentage of arrests in U.S., Milwaukee's police chief says | PolitiFact Wisconsin
    It's utterly absurd to compare arrests to fatal shootings, as if the number 12 million somehow makes the killing, manslaughter and murder of suspects ok. Do some of them deserve it, yep, I'm not arguing those, but there are too many that aren't justified and until the last few years when virtually everyone has a camera, most of these would not only have not been reported, but, like in the Walter Scott case we would have been lead to believe that he was shot because he tried to use a taser on the officer, which, of course we know, thanks to the video, is a lie.

    Furthermore, how many other cases of police abuse of power, injury and death occur that don't involve a a suspect killed by a gun?

    The culture has changed from the early 90's when I went to school to be a police officer and spent almost a year doing ride-a-longs with police and I saw a lot in my time working beside the police. Today police are being more preemptive, they way that carry themselves is to be intimidating. They are in many places being trained to see the people in the areas they patrol as the enemy. Few are trained in negotiation and how to defuse a situations and they often believe that because they are the authority that they can walk into emotionally charged situations and everyone should just do what they say without question. To expect this is to fundamentally misunderstand human nature and guarantee the kinds of results that are played out almost daily.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary (or faith) depends upon his not understanding it.”

  10. #100
    Guru
    csbrown28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,047

    Re: Baltimore on edge after arrestee's fatal spine injury

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Your topic starts from the premise cops are terrible.
    Let's see, I said;

    Another man dead at the hands of police.
    This is a factual statement that makes no claims about the good or badness of police. Given the recent rash of questionable uses of force by police made public, I think the word "another" is justified.

    The police also have video of the arrest that has not been made public yet. Will be interesting to see the entire incident.
    This statement points out there is more video and does not draw a conclusion about what the video will contain.

    At the risk of being snarky, reading is fundamental, next time just ask how I feel about police and I'd be happy to tell you.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary (or faith) depends upon his not understanding it.”

Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •