Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 327

Thread: Cop snatches phone and smashes it (gets caught on video anyway)

  1. #221
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    05-21-17 @ 09:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    28,586

    Re: Cop snatches phone and smashes it (gets caught on video anyway)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    There's lots of stuff that erodes our freedoms and weakens the Republic. The ultra-fascist, authoritarian, Big Brother, Big War, Big Debt statists that have been prominent throughout the past Presidency and the new GOP are amongst the most damaging.
    Well, it's a fragile balance isn't it....? Look, I doubt that you'll be pulling the lever for any GOP candidates, just as I wouldn't vote in a liberal if you paid me. But in the end both sides have dug in their heels at the furthest points of the spectrum, and are refusing to budge, so, we will have this wild swing in the foreseeable future unless some reason is injected.

    The propensity to take isolated incidents and paint entire groups of people with them is not helpful, wouldn't you agree?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #222
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    05-21-17 @ 09:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    28,586

    Re: Cop snatches phone and smashes it (gets caught on video anyway)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Then why are you laughing at the prospect of them creating an app for people to videotape incidents where the rights of any citizen may be violated?
    Because it struck me as funny.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #223
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    55,635

    Re: Cop snatches phone and smashes it (gets caught on video anyway)

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I'm speaking to the most recent reasons given.
    which was never really the reason at all. Otherwise we would have extended that to our entire deployed force during COIN operations.

    I didn't say that at all.
    One strawman deserves another.

    Or whiny bitches with cameras MIRITE!!!!!?????
    I haven't defended the officers' actions in this thread.

    However, I note that you are attempting (again) a strawman to attempt to spin away from a point. Are you seriously willing to state that the use of tactical gear for tactical situations (say, when dealing with armed and violent or potentially violent criminals) is wrong for our police forces?

    Police officer would require a upkept apperance.
    that depends on the nature of his particular job.

    d00d, nationwide, in 2013, 27 officers died.
    and how many were injured, shot at, attacked, in the neighborhoods where these incidents are occurring?

    Your complaint is that many police officers are coming to view the populace as an "other", as someone who see's them as an enemy, and thus reacts to them in overly-militarized ways. But that isn't happening everywhere, now, is it? It's mostly happening where the local populace see's the police as the enemy.

    and as far as that C3 policing, it's a specific tool, that works in specific areas, for specific circumstances and is nothing like pictures one gets when someong uses cool terms like "counter-insrugency".
    I don't care what you choose to call it, the lessons are solid and they deserve to be applied. In many ways, in fact, much of what we fed into COIN we got from successful policing lessons, such as the Broken Windows campaign in New York.


    you infered **** that wasn't true with your "analogy", I simply corrected your error witht he truth,
    I said nothing about the relative danger of being a police officer from a statistical point of view with my analogy, I pointed out that his logic was flawed with my analogy.
    “In America we have a two-party system,” a Republican congressional staffer told a visiting group of Russian legislators. “There is the stupid party. And there is the evil party. I am proud to be a member of the stupid party. Periodically, the two parties get together and do something that is both stupid and evil. This is called: bipartisanship."

  4. #224
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    05-21-17 @ 09:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    28,586

    Re: Cop snatches phone and smashes it (gets caught on video anyway)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    It probably has something to do with men being shot in the back while running away, and the incident being caught on video.

    But, that's just a guess, of course.

    There may be another reason a cop feels justified in committing assault because a citizen is recording his actions.
    Again not condoning the actions of the Marshall, but, from a story yesterday about the incident:

    "In the video, Paez is shown standing on the sidewalk aiming a cellphone toward two men standing a short distance away, wearing black shirts with tactical vests reading “Police” across the back. As the men stand with their backs to the woman, she can be heard saying “You are making me feel unsafe, and I have a right to be here” and “You need to stay away from me, I don’t feel safe with you closer to me,” among other statements."

    Now, as a reasonable person Ditto, you know it's probably not the smartest thing to do to be so close that you can taunt the police carrying out an operation like that, then continue to film...We also don't know what the "other statements" that the reporter here decided to leave out of his story....With that said...

    "The U.S. Marshals Service is aware of video footage of an incident that took place Sunday in Los Angeles County involving a Deputy U.S. Marshal. The agency is currently reviewing the incident,” officials said in a statement.

    “There is no situation in which an officer can intentionally grab and destroy a camera being used to lawfully record law enforcement,” said Hector Villagra, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California. “The officer’s conduct is a blatant and deliberate violation of the Constitution and his duties as an officer to abide by the law.”

    With smartphones everywhere, police on notice they may be caught on camera - LA Times

    So, not only is the Marshall service looking at it, but so is the ACLU...My guess is this will get resolved.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #225
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    40,836

    Re: Cop snatches phone and smashes it (gets caught on video anyway)

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Because it struck me as funny.
    That's cool that you find an application that helps any citizen report a violation of their civil rights as 'funny'. Very authori-chic.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #226
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    39,477

    Re: Cop snatches phone and smashes it (gets caught on video anyway)

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Again not condoning the actions of the Marshall, but, from a story yesterday about the incident:

    "In the video, Paez is shown standing on the sidewalk aiming a cellphone toward two men standing a short distance away, wearing black shirts with tactical vests reading “Police” across the back. As the men stand with their backs to the woman, she can be heard saying “You are making me feel unsafe, and I have a right to be here” and “You need to stay away from me, I don’t feel safe with you closer to me,” among other statements."

    Now, as a reasonable person Ditto, you know it's probably not the smartest thing to do to be so close that you can taunt the police carrying out an operation like that, then continue to film...We also don't know what the "other statements" that the reporter here decided to leave out of his story....With that said...

    "The U.S. Marshals Service is aware of video footage of an incident that took place Sunday in Los Angeles County involving a Deputy U.S. Marshal. The agency is currently reviewing the incident,” officials said in a statement.

    “There is no situation in which an officer can intentionally grab and destroy a camera being used to lawfully record law enforcement,” said Hector Villagra, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California. “The officer’s conduct is a blatant and deliberate violation of the Constitution and his duties as an officer to abide by the law.”

    With smartphones everywhere, police on notice they may be caught on camera - LA Times

    So, not only is the Marshall service looking at it, but so is the ACLU...My guess is this will get resolved.
    As well it should.
    “It’s an unbelievably complex subject. Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.” Donald Trump



  7. #227
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    05-21-17 @ 09:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    28,586

    Re: Cop snatches phone and smashes it (gets caught on video anyway)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That's cool that you find an application that helps any citizen report a violation of their civil rights as 'funny'. Very authori-chic.
    Whatever...

    Any thoughts on the thread?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #228
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,967

    Re: Cop snatches phone and smashes it (gets caught on video anyway)

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Your complaint is that many police officers are coming to view the populace as an "other", as someone who see's them as an enemy, and thus reacts to them in overly-militarized ways. But that isn't happening everywhere, now, is it? It's mostly happening where the local populace see's the police as the enemy.
    Nearly every police force in a town greater than about 50,000 has a SWAT team, and they're used to conduct 10s of thousands of raids per year on what are mostly not dangerous targets. Here's one discussion of them: Rise of the Warrior Cop - WSJ

    I don't care what you choose to call it, the lessons are solid and they deserve to be applied. In many ways, in fact, much of what we fed into COIN we got from successful policing lessons, such as the Broken Windows campaign in New York.
    The only problem with the Broken Windows campaign is crime dropped in areas where they didn't use those tactics, so there's very little actual evidence other than the results in one city that the method actually works to reduce serious crime. Perhaps it's desirable on its own merits - cleaning up petty crime can be its own reward - but almost none that it affects more serious crimes.

    The best evidence is the overall crime rate reductions are related to getting lead out of gasoline and paint because the results are replicated across many cities, states, and countries, otherwise with very little to tie them together except observed and substantial decreases in the rate of crime that follow a predictable number of years after lead was removed from gasoline.

  9. #229
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:54 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,687

    Re: Cop snatches phone and smashes it (gets caught on video anyway)

    That is mainstream news??!! My dog pissed on my neighbors leg, wanna se a video?

  10. #230
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    40,836

    Re: Cop snatches phone and smashes it (gets caught on video anyway)

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Whatever...

    Any thoughts on the thread?
    Yep, the officers were wrong to break the woman's cellphone and they clearly violated her rights. You want to defend that? Or you want to keep crying about how hard their jobs are?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •