Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: The cop who wouldn’t shoot: Bodycam video shows Ohio officer holding fire as murder s

  1. #1
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,287

    The cop who wouldn’t shoot: Bodycam video shows Ohio officer holding fire as murder s

    The cop who wouldn’t shoot: Bodycam video shows Ohio officer holding fire as murder suspect charges at him | National Post

    NEW RICHMOND, Ohio — An Ohio police officer is being praised for holding his fire even as a slaying suspect charged him, saying repeatedly, “shoot me.”

    The tense moments were captured Thursday on a body camera worn by New Richmond officer Jesse Kidder, WLWT-TV in Cincinnati reported
    Thoughts are?
    If my post offends you, I deeply Apple-O-Jize.

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    41,243

    Re: The cop who wouldn’t shoot: Bodycam video shows Ohio officer holding fire as murd

    Uncommonly brave of him, given that he was dealing with a possibly-armed murder suspect.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #3
    Sage
    BrewerBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    6,798

    Re: The cop who wouldn’t shoot: Bodycam video shows Ohio officer holding fire as murd

    He has my respect. Too many cops are too unwilling to take the least bit of risk with their own lives. THey would use the excuse of the unknown to have killed that man.

    "Maybe he had a gun on him"
    "Maybe if we got into a struggle he would have been able to disarm me and kill me"

    But this cop didn't play the maybe he game. If the perp did have a weapon it wasn't drawn and pointed at the cop. The cop knew he had backup close by so even if the perp and he ended up in a brawl the cop knew he would have the advantage. He read the situation and was willing to take a little bit of risk in order to take the perp alive.

    That is the kind of cop I want policing my streets.

  4. #4
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,138

    Re: The cop who wouldn’t shoot: Bodycam video shows Ohio officer holding fire as murd

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Uncommonly brave of him, given that he was dealing with a possibly-armed murder suspect.
    I think the cop sensed that the suspect was attempting to commit suicide by cop.

  5. #5
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,287

    Re: The cop who wouldn’t shoot: Bodycam video shows Ohio officer holding fire as murd

    Quote Originally Posted by BrewerBob View Post
    He has my respect. Too many cops are too unwilling to take the least bit of risk with their own lives. THey would use the excuse of the unknown to have killed that man.

    "Maybe he had a gun on him"
    "Maybe if we got into a struggle he would have been able to disarm me and kill me"

    But this cop didn't play the maybe he game. If the perp did have a weapon it wasn't drawn and pointed at the cop. The cop knew he had backup close by so even if the perp and he ended up in a brawl the cop knew he would have the advantage. He read the situation and was willing to take a little bit of risk in order to take the perp alive.

    That is the kind of cop I want policing my streets.
    Lots of good Officers, problem is we do not see it on the news.
    If my post offends you, I deeply Apple-O-Jize.

  6. #6
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 02:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: The cop who wouldn’t shoot: Bodycam video shows Ohio officer holding fire as murd

    Good. Police should not be firing on anyone who isn't firing themselves.

    "Possibly armed" isn't anywhere close to good enough.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  7. #7
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,138

    Re: The cop who wouldn’t shoot: Bodycam video shows Ohio officer holding fire as murd

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Good. Police should not be firing on anyone who isn't firing themselves.

    "Possibly armed" isn't anywhere close to good enough.
    It depends on the circumstances. It takes no time to pull a concealed gun and shoot a cop. Due to the tight limits place on when a cop can shoot, they are trained to respond rapidly if they perceive someone is about to shoot them. Any suspect making sudden movies that could be construed as pulling a gun in effect invite the cop to rightfully respond with lethal force. That's why it's best to comply with the cop until he sorts out what is going on.

  8. #8
    Curmudgeon

    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,432
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: The cop who wouldn’t shoot: Bodycam video shows Ohio officer holding fire as murd

    Quote Originally Posted by BrewerBob View Post
    He has my respect. Too many cops are too unwilling to take the least bit of risk with their own lives. THey would use the excuse of the unknown to have killed that man.

    "Maybe he had a gun on him"
    "Maybe if we got into a struggle he would have been able to disarm me and kill me"

    But this cop didn't play the maybe he game. If the perp did have a weapon it wasn't drawn and pointed at the cop. The cop knew he had backup close by so even if the perp and he ended up in a brawl the cop knew he would have the advantage. He read the situation and was willing to take a little bit of risk in order to take the perp alive.

    That is the kind of cop I want policing my streets.
    Yeah, cops who will soon be dead.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  9. #9
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    College Park, Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-17 @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,847

    Re: The cop who wouldn’t shoot: Bodycam video shows Ohio officer holding fire as murd

    “Law enforcement officers all across the nation have to deal with split-second decisions that mean life or death,” Kidder said. “I wanted to be absolutely sure before I used deadly force.”
    And that is exactly how it should be. Props to him.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  10. #10
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 02:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: The cop who wouldn’t shoot: Bodycam video shows Ohio officer holding fire as murd

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    It depends on the circumstances. It takes no time to pull a concealed gun and shoot a cop. Due to the tight limits place on when a cop can shoot, they are trained to respond rapidly if they perceive someone is about to shoot them. Any suspect making sudden movies that could be construed as pulling a gun in effect invite the cop to rightfully respond with lethal force. That's why it's best to comply with the cop until he sorts out what is going on.
    That's not rightful. Police should not fire until fired upon. That is the standard we should employ. They continually demonstrate that they cannot accurately determine danger, and keep killing unarmed people. As agents of the government, police have no business executing people without due process. Their own subjective (and frequently wrong) opinion is nowhere near enough to constitute that. Without someone actually firing bullets at the cop or at someone else, police have no business doing the same.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •