Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 504

Thread: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

  1. #81
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,524

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Lots of people try to rationalize lack of empathy for their fellow man. There are various reasons for the floppy morality, mostly dealing with either emotional outburst or trying to reverse engineer an argument. As I said, I wouldn't necessarily say it's a good thing. Even murderers deserve some amount of empathy, I'm not for needless torture or suffering imposed upon them; they are still human.
    Who, in your opinion, is the arbiter for how much empathy we should personally accord 'our fellow man?' Why do you dismiss what might not be your personal view of morality as 'floppy?'
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Jerkoffness is protected by The Constitution. That's what makes America great.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #82
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,049

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Who, in your opinion, is the arbiter for how much empathy we should personally accord 'our fellow man?' Why do you dismiss what might not be your personal view of morality as 'floppy?'
    When you set some arbitrary level of what is deemed "worthy" of empathy, you've made a floppy definition. It's built in slop that allows one to slide personal moralities around, many times for simplicity and convenience of argument. I don't know who gets to be "arbiter for how much empathy we should personally accord", but I do believe that with humans that amount of empathy should be greater than zero.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #83
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,524

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by ikari View Post
    when you set some arbitrary level of what is deemed "worthy" of empathy, you've made a floppy definition. It's built in slop that allows one to slide personal moralities around, many times for simplicity and convenience of argument. I don't know who gets to be "arbiter for how much empathy we should personally accord", but i do believe that with humans that amount of empathy should be greater than zero.
    ok.
    .....
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Jerkoffness is protected by The Constitution. That's what makes America great.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #84
    Sage
    Winchester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,213

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant


  5. #85
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,049

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
    Yup. Of course, when slaughtering animals you should ensure that they are properly restrained and that the act is carried out swiftly in order to decrease probabilities of injury. But it's sad that he died and that other were injured in this event. Hopefully people can learn from past mistakes and correct them in the future.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #86
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,589

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    When you set some arbitrary level of what is deemed "worthy" of empathy, you've made a floppy definition. It's built in slop that allows one to slide personal moralities around, many times for simplicity and convenience of argument. I don't know who gets to be "arbiter for how much empathy we should personally accord", but I do believe that with humans that amount of empathy should be greater than zero.
    But having varying levels of empathy for different individuals isn't 'arbitrary.' If two rival drug dealers get into a gun fight over turf, and one of them dies, I don't think any of us would extend the same level of empathy to that individual as we would to an innocent person killed in the crossfire. Many would conclude that the person engaging in the gun fight deserves little or no empathy because he made the choice to engage in a risky and criminal lifestyle that requires him to kill to remain in business. There is nothing floppy about that reasoning - it's a natural result of judging results by the acts that produced the result.

    This person chose a profession where he regularly engages in a fight to the death with wild animals quite capable of killing him, and provides himself with the tools that allow him an immense advantage over the animals he's trying to kill. And his profession is killing animals for sport, which is quite objectively different than killing animals for survival. As a result, it's rational in my view to feel less empathy for this individual than for, say, a little girl trampled by an elephant on her way back from school. How much less is "floppy" - and maybe that's your point....

  7. #87
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,899
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Hunting endangered species.
    Within reason it's not a big deal.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #88
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,102

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Within reason it's not a big deal.
    The point is though. Why would you want to for 'fun' ?

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 04:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    poachers should be hunted down and beaten to death with their own weapons...
    After careful consideration, I have concluded that it is ethically OK to kill a hunter whose activities threaten the continuing existence of an endangered species, although I support fair trials whenever that is a viable alternative.

  10. #90
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    176,748

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    There's another way to look at it too. How many magnificent African wild animals will now be alive in the future that otherwise wouldn't had this guy not been killed ?
    that's really stupid. Professional hunters in AFrica are the front line defense against the senseless poaching that is really causing animal loss. Professional hunters, who pay expensive licensing fees and expensive trophy fees are not the problem. Poaching. But the Bambist twits want to whine about professional hunters and their LICENSED clients because they don't understand how things work over there.

    legitimate hunters have always been conservationists.
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas giants View Post
    Time for real gun control
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas giants View Post
    You too are a gun banner if you want ANY person banned from guns.

Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •