Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 504

Thread: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

  1. #311
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,683

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    There are lots of themes running through this thread, but one of them is some of us, me included, aren't mourning a person who made a living hunting wild dangerous animals for sport and was ultimately killed by an animal he was hunting. We're simply rationally judging the result (death) by the act that produced the result - killing dangerous wild animals for sport. He wasn't protecting villagers from elephants gone wild rampaging through villages, he wasn't a wildlife photographer, or a biologist - he entered into their wild habitat with the goal of killing among the biggest and baddest of them, for fun.

    Others disagree, and that's fine. But it's a different set of actions - killing dangerous wild animals in Africa - than ranching.

    I don't believe rational humans are required to treat all killings of animals equivalently - "Hey, you eat hamburgers - you're a hypocrite if you object to killing elephants!" No. Not even all poachers are equivalent. I know a few up in the mountains, and they kill bears and deer and whatever else they find whenever they happen to need meat. It's fine with me - they are ethical - don't kill does with fawns or mama bears with cubs, etc.

    Similarly, when a person is killed by an animal, the circumstances also matter.
    See.. that's the problem.. you say the circumstances matter.

    You don't mourn a person that made a living hunting wild dangerous animals and was killed.

    Why?

    My children are chasing, herding and roping a dangerous animal as well, and they do it as a job as well. So why would you treat that differently?

    Is it because you eat cattle.. and therefore its acceptable.. and you don;t eat elephant so that's not?

    Why the difference.


    Rational people, using the rationale that you propose.. that someone making a living dealing with dangerous animals.. basically get what he deserves....

    Should use the same rationale with cattle as well as elephants.

  2. #312
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    170,206

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    I dont doubt a sizeable majority in the real world would view her activities with equal disdain
    I couldn't care less what "most of the world thinks"

    much of the world doesn't care because they are too busy trying to avoid starvation, dictatorships, communist scourges, Jihadist bandits and other problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  3. #313
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    170,206

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    It turns out that I made the mistake in posting my first Rhino picture. My bad

    This is in fact the one she shot dead and was her first kill .... at the age of 13 !!!

    Attachment 67183501

    If anything this makes it even worse. Why would any child want to do this ?
    My little brother was 11 when he got an impala in Africa. Unlike Rhinos they are good to eat

    good shot girl. we need more people like her and less anti hunting extremists
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  4. #314
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,158

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I couldn't care less what "most of the world thinks"
    You've made that plain already

  5. #315
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,158

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    My little brother was 11 when he got an impala in Africa. Unlike Rhinos they are good to eat

    good shot girl. we need more people like her and less anti hunting extremists
    Nobody could ever condone this. This is just flaming

  6. #316
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    07-23-17 @ 05:14 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    23,715

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovkan View Post
    Game Hunter Ian Gibson Trampled To Death By Elephant
    I hope the elephant is doing well.
    Fair play poetic justice.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  7. #317
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    42,446

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    It turns out that I made the mistake in posting my first Rhino picture. My bad

    This is in fact the one she shot dead and was her first kill .... at the age of 13 !!!

    Attachment 67183501

    If anything this makes it even worse. Why would any child want to do this ?



    Because it is an impressive feat of hunting prowess? Because it is an accomplishment few have achieved?

    Might as well ask why people climb Mt Everest, at risk of their lives.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #318
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    42,446

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Nobody could ever condone this. This is just flaming


    Nonsense. It is a legitimately expressed viewpoint.


    Locally many boys and girls bag their first deer around that age. Most of those kids would be beyond ecstatic to get a chance to hunt Impala in Africa. You only think something is wrong with it because you think something is morally wrong with hunting in the first place.

    news flash: Many millions of people don't see things the way you do.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #319
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,158

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Because it is an impressive feat of hunting prowess? Because it is an accomplishment few have achieved?

    Might as well ask why people climb Mt Everest, at risk of their lives.
    Yes but those that climbed Everest risked their own lives they didn't target endangered species for sick fun.

  10. #320
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    170,206

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    You've made that plain already
    and I don't recall seeing you appointed official spokesperson of "those who are jealous of America" or rich hunters either
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •