Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 504

Thread: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

  1. #251
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    42,375

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    The problem with his argument is that tourists spend far more money to take pictures of elephants than hunters spend to kill them. Even in the United States wildlife watchers spend more money than hunters. Americans Spent a Lot of Money on Hunting, Fishing, and Wildlife Watching in 2011 | Outside Online

    I am not saying that there are times when problem elephants must be killed or herds must be culled due to overpopulation, but that is largely not the case in Zimbabwe.


    Like I said, I don't know a lot about what goes on in Zimbabwe. If I had that kind of money, I might be interested in hunting an elephant (that needed hunting, for population management reasons/etc), but I wouldn't knowingly go after one at a mismanaged park where the population wasn't being properly maintained.


    I don't doubt that they are among the smarter land animals on the planet, but to me they are still animals. Pigs, for example are a lot smarter than they're usually given credit for, probably far smarter than cows, but we hunt wild ones here as "varmints" (no bag limit or season/etc) due to their negative impact on the local ecology. Coyotes ditto, and they're pretty clever buggers.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #252
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    42,375

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
    I was more talking of the big game. Elephants, tigers, lions...

    If you eat deer etc..I dont have as much of an issue and understand..., as Im NOT a vegan and enjoy meat. but Im torn as Im very sensitive to the suffering and plight of animals


    Yeah I don't know. I don't have that kind of money that an African safari is in my future, but I have daydreamed about it once in a while.

    On the one hand, taking down an elephant, lion, tiger or hippo is appealing as a great hunting accomplishment. They're cunning, not easy to kill, and potentially very dangerous. Taking one would be quite a rush.

    OTOH the very reason that they ARE such magnificent animals would make me a little reluctant to actually kill one. Tigers especially... incredibly beautiful creatures.


    But the paintball idea wouldn't work on those guys... good way to piss them off and get killed.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #253
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    15,999

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Like I said, I don't know a lot about what goes on in Zimbabwe. If I had that kind of money, I might be interested in hunting an elephant (that needed hunting, for population management reasons/etc), but I wouldn't knowingly go after one at a mismanaged park where the population wasn't being properly maintained.


    I don't doubt that they are among the smarter land animals on the planet, but to me they are still animals. Pigs, for example are a lot smarter than they're usually given credit for, probably far smarter than cows, but we hunt wild ones here as "varmints" (no bag limit or season/etc) due to their negative impact on the local ecology. Coyotes ditto, and they're pretty clever buggers.
    Yeah pigs are crazy smart, they are smarter than dogs. However, they are also a feral introduced species so they are not just destroying habitat and crops, they are not even supposed to be part of our wild ecosystem to begin with.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  4. #254
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    52,530

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    If I didn't want the meat, I might do something like that. Sometimes when you go out "scouting" (that is, looking for signs of animals you might hunt later when season is in), you take pictures.

    A lot of hunters DO want the meat, though, and since a chance to take a good shot and get it doesn't come along every hunt...

    Not killing would also defeat the conservation purpose of thinning the herds so they don't overpopulate and starve...
    Not only that, bur for these big game hunts, it seems that often times the animal is butchered and the meat is given out to the local tribes; so it is consumed.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #255
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,955

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    I seriously doubt the trophy hunter killed in the OP was just about to do that



    Let nature sort it out then as it always does. Defining hunting as some kind of conservational altruism is way too much of a reach to be credible frankly

    AHHHHHHHH... the ignorance is so astounding..... AHHHHHHHH.

    Okay... let me educate you on "nature sorting it out"... first of all... we humans are a part of nature.. and we have changed how nature works from historical norms. Not only with decreased predators as before as Goshin points out...

    but we have changed the habitat dramatically.. AND YOU ARE PART OF THAT. Five hundred years ago.. before the explosion of humans on your continent... say a red stag population had natural predators that kept it in balance.. along with food supplies, etc..

    When the elk herd suffered a bad winter, it had numbers die.. but many survived because the herd simply moved to areas with less snow. IF predation became to high, the herd dispersed to other areas, etc.

    That process DOES NOT WORK KNOW BECAUSE YOU LIVE THERE. That's right... because you have a house, you have a job, you drive roads, so on and so forth... you have modified wildlife habitat. NOW when a population gets too large for a carrying capacity... it doesn't have a way to disperse.. it doesn't have a way to avoid the bad winter, or increased predation, or a myriad of other challenges. And so what happens? Massive die offs... and eventual extinction.

  6. #256
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,011

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    AHHHHHHHH... the ignorance is so astounding..... AHHHHHHHH.

    Okay... let me educate you on "nature sorting it out"... first of all... we humans are a part of nature.. and we have changed how nature works from historical norms. Not only with decreased predators as before as Goshin points out...

    but we have changed the habitat dramatically.. AND YOU ARE PART OF THAT. Five hundred years ago.. before the explosion of humans on your continent... say a red stag population had natural predators that kept it in balance.. along with food supplies, etc..

    When the elk herd suffered a bad winter, it had numbers die.. but many survived because the herd simply moved to areas with less snow. IF predation became to high, the herd dispersed to other areas, etc.

    That process DOES NOT WORK KNOW BECAUSE YOU LIVE THERE. That's right... because you have a house, you have a job, you drive roads, so on and so forth... you have modified wildlife habitat. NOW when a population gets too large for a carrying capacity... it doesn't have a way to disperse.. it doesn't have a way to avoid the bad winter, or increased predation, or a myriad of other challenges. And so what happens? Massive die offs... and eventual extinction.
    Was the OP about hunting Elk then ? No it was about a trophy hunter being killed by an elephant in Africa. What a pity it wasn't this one

    shbczyjikmz3kxtizoza.jpg

    What is wrong with these people !

  7. #257
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,955

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    That is not what an elephant is doing. Unlike the cow, the elephant is smart enough to know that the fence charger itself is what powers the fence therefor they go after the device that powers the fence itself. Us and elephants are the only animals on earth that are that clever.

    As to the intelligence of elephants, scientists are studying them extensively.

    The Science Is In: Elephants Are Even Smarter Than We Realized [Video] - Scientific American
    Elephant cognition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia




    So you would kill an animal with the intellect of a child. Sorry, but like I say, I am no way anti-hunting. I hunt myself and fish all the time. But I don't think you will find many hunters that will agree with you on this.
    I think you will find most hunters will agree with me on this... what you are doing is anthropomorphizing.

    By the way.. I have cows and pigs that have learned how to open gates... so your argument that "only dumb animals" should be hunted or used as food.. is pretty invalid.

    Why do you think its fundamentally wrong to hunt an animal that's cunning and smart? Seriously.. I want to understand you logic on this one. Where does your rationale end? You say you hunt... well deer are smarter than butterflies.. do you really think we need to have a IQ test before an animal can be hunted?

    Personally, I think it comes down to science etc and proper conservation management.

  8. #258
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    42,375

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant


    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #259
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    52,530

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Was the OP about hunting Elk then ? No it was about a trophy hunter being killed by an elephant in Africa. What a pity it wasn't this one

    shbczyjikmz3kxtizoza.jpg

    What is wrong with these people !
    Wishing for the death of hunters is pretty darn messed up, IMO.

    Are you just regurgitating Ricky Gervais' tweets here?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #260
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    42,375

    Re: Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Was the OP about hunting Elk then ? No it was about a trophy hunter being killed by an elephant in Africa. What a pity it wasn't this one

    shbczyjikmz3kxtizoza.jpg

    What is wrong with these people !


    Why do you hate pretty blond girls?

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •