Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 212

Thread: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... And Th

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I didn't know you were editing.
    And I didn't know you were posting, so calm down with the accusations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    For the second time, nobody can see when you're editing a post.
    And while editing, you can't see if someone's posting, so calm down with the accusations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I can smell feigned outrage. Jerry, it doesn't matter whether you agree or not. There is absolutely nothing for you to agree or disagree on. He's wrong for discriminating against a large group of people. He's wrong from a legal point. If you don't like it, you can keep trying to complain until the cows come home but it won't change the fact that he's wrong.
    You don't seem to get that I've sided against the business owner yet so I'll give you some more time to let it sink in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Or just people who you think don't know you?
    Careful, data-mining members of this forum isn't just a bannable offence, it's also illegal.

  2. #82
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    41,294

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    And I didn't know you were posting, so calm down with the accusations.

    And while editing, you can't see if someone's posting, so calm down with the accusations.
    Jerry, I didn't accuse you of anything other than changing your post. Which you did. Continuing to pretend you didn't won't change the fact that the statements I addressed were made by you. Your feigned outrage at this is kind of silly now.

    You don't seem to get that I've sided against the business owner yet so I'll give you some more time to let it sink in.
    Your statements don't reflect that. However, it seems as if you're having trouble understanding that any way you want to play this, your absurd comparison was wrong. Hell, you even tried to justify discrimination by stating that entering a business was choice.

    Careful, data-mining members of this forum isn't just a bannable offence, it's also illegal.
    Data-mining? Don't flatter yourself, Jerry. The DP search function is here for a reason. If it's "illegal" to use it, you're welcome to inform Vauge. I'm sure he'll laugh as hard as I normally do when I see some of your past homophobia laden posts on this forum.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Jerry, I didn't accuse you of anything other than changing your post.
    Accuse means 'to charge with an offence'. Editing a post isn't an offence at all. You're accusing me of a perfectly normal thing, and that means you need to calm down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Your statements don't reflect that.
    You don't think these statements reflect disagreement with the business:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I argue that a business open to the public doesn't have a right to refuse broad classes of customers, but only individuals who harm the business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You do realize that I disagree with the owner, right?
    How can someone read those statements and still believe I side with the business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    However, it seems as if you're having trouble understanding that any way you want to play this, your absurd comparison was wrong. Hell, you even tried to justify discrimination by stating that entering a business was choice.
    Something can be a choice and still protected, was the point, which you apparently missed. That race is an immutable trait while carrying a gun is not, is irrelevant. The attribute can be a choice and still protected, such as marital status and religion. I wasn't justifying discrimination, I was arguing a finer point. This also calls back to all those "homosexuality is a choice" threads where I'm found arguing: "so what". Even IF homosexuality is a choice, we should still legalize same-sex marriage.

    But I digress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Data-mining? Don't flatter yourself, Jerry.
    You said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Or just people who you think don't know you?
    ...who I think don't know me? Meaning you claim you actually do know me and I'm not aware? That's called stalking. You wouldn't be the first person from a forum who's come looking for me, I carry a gun for a reason.
    Last edited by Jerry; 04-18-15 at 04:18 AM.

  4. #84
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    41,294

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Accuse means to charge with an offence, but editing a post isn't an offence at all, so that you're accusing me of a perfectly normal thing means you need to calm down.
    It also means to hold somebody responsible for something. You are in fact responsible for having changed your post after I replied to it. If you don't like it, you can take it up with someone who cares.

    You don't think these statements reflect disagreement with the bushiness:
    It's nice that you changed your statements after I quoted them, but it doesn't change your absurd defense of the issue.

    Something can be a choice and still protected, was the point, which you apparently missed.
    And yet, being gay is not a choice.

    That race is an immutable trait while carrying a gun is not, is irrelevant. The attribute can be a choice and still protected, such as marital status and religion. I wasn't justifying discrimination, I was arguing a finer point.
    Jerry, your point was that carrying a gun and being black were comparable. That's patently absurd. You can leave your gun at home, you can't leave your sexual orientation and skin color at home.

    You said:

    ...who I think don't know me? Meaning you claim you actually do know me and I'm not aware? That's called stalking. You wouldn't be the first person from a forum who's come looking for me, I carry a gun for a reason.
    Jerry if you feel it's an offense and illegal to claim that I know you after you after nearly 50K posts, many of which are homophobic in nature, I welcome you to report it to the mods. Instead of you know, accusing people of criminal behavior and trying to pick at a person's words.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    It also means to hold somebody responsible for something. You are in fact responsible for having changed your post after I replied to it. If you don't like it, you can take it up with someone who cares. It's nice that you changed your statements after I quoted them, but it doesn't change your absurd defense of the issue. And yet, being gay is not a choice. Jerry, your point was that carrying a gun and being black were comparable. That's patently absurd. You can leave your gun at home, you can't leave your sexual orientation and skin color at home.Jerry if you feel it's an offense and illegal to claim that I know you after you after nearly 50K posts, many of which are homophobic in nature, I welcome you to report it to the mods. Instead of you know, accusing people of criminal behavior and trying to pick at a person's words.
    ....still editing....

  6. #86
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    41,294

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    ....still editing....
    Learn to edit faster, Jerry. Wait, first, learn to stick by your words.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Jerry, your point was that carrying a gun and being black were comparable.
    They're both things businesses want to discriminate against for no good reason. This kind of discrimination hinders the free flow of commerce and harms the nation by extension, and therefore shouldn't be allowed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Jerry if you feel it's an offense and illegal to claim that I know you after you after nearly 50K posts, many of which are homophobic in nature, I welcome you to report it to the mods. Instead of you know, accusing people of criminal behavior and trying to pick at a person's words.
    I don't quote posts I report to mods because on some of the forums I belong to quoting a post you report will get you suspended (it's seen as trying to get the last word in and thus trolling), and so I don't do it on any forum just to make sure I don't mix up the rules on accident. This means once I've responded to your post, I won't then report it, so telling me to report you after I've already quoted you is weaksouse.

    Anyway, 'homophobia' is just something stupid people say when they run out of arguments. Anyone who "knows" me knows that I am rarely consistent on any topic. I'm not here to present a consistent view, I'm here to debate and I love defending the underdog. The more controversial the side, the more fun it is to argue and thus the more likely you are to see me on it.

    And that's why people think I'm a troll, too. Oh well, sucks to be them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Learn to edit faster, Jerry.
    Admin give me 25 minutes and with my connection problems I'll take every one of them. If you don't like it, ask Admin to change it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Wait, first, learn to stick by your words.
    Why? I have no contract with you that I should abide by it's terms.
    Last edited by Jerry; 04-18-15 at 04:50 AM.

  8. #88
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    41,294

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    They're both things businesses want to discriminate against for no good reason.

    This kind of discrimination hinders the free flow of commerce and harms the nation by extension, and therefore shouldn't be allowed.
    And yet there is a difference between one and the other. Just like businesses can tell you that they don't allow kids, and you have the choice to leave them at home. You can't leave your skin color and sexual attraction at home, Jerry. They're not the same no matter how hard you try to pretend that they are.

    I don't quote posts I report to mods because on some of the forums I belong to quoting a post you report will get you suspended (it's seen as trying to get the last word in and thus trolling), and so I don't do it on any forum just to make sure I don't mix up the rules on accident. This means once I've responded to your post, I won't then report it, so telling me to report you after I've already quoted you is weaksouse.

    Anyway, 'homophobia' is just something stupid people say when they run out of arguments. Anyone who "knows" me knows that I am rarely consistent on any topic. I'm not here to present a consistent view, I'm here to debate and I love defending the underdog. The more controversial the side, the more fun it is to argue and thus the more likely you are to see me on it.

    And that's why people think I'm a troll, too. Oh well, sucks to be them.
    Jerry, that works with people who haven't seen your outburst over zee gays. Now, if you want to pretend like you're some sort of crusader for gay rights, you're not going to fool somebody who has been here as long as yourself. If you want to pretend like you just pick positions to debate, you're welcome to do that to. It still isn't fooling me.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    And yet there is a difference between one and the other. Just like businesses can tell you that they don't allow kids, and you have the choice to leave them at home. You can't leave your skin color and sexual attraction at home, Jerry. They're not the same no matter how hard you try to pretend that they are.
    Right. And that's completely irrelevant. Rather or not you can 'leave it at home', doesn't matter, at all. The only thing that matters is if it's causing a harm to the business. If it is, then the business is justified in having it removed. If it isn't harmful, then the business should be forced by law to allow it or shut down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Jerry, that works with people who haven't seen your outburst over zee gays. Now, if you want to pretend like you're some sort of crusader for gay rights, you're not going to fool somebody who has been here as long as yourself. If you want to pretend like you just pick positions to debate, you're welcome to do that to. It still isn't fooling me.
    Oh let me be clear, I don't give a **** about gay rights. If it were in the national interest to box up gays and send them off to 'camps, I would be all for it. But that's not in our best interest. What's in our best interest is a free-flowing, vibrant economy, and unnecessary restrictions on consumers hinders that.

  10. #90
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    41,294

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Right. And that's completely irrelevant. Rather or not you can 'leave it at home', doesn't matter, at all. The only thing that matters is if it's causing a harm to the business. If it is, then the business is justified in having it removed. If it isn't harmful, then the business should be forced by law to allow it or shut down.
    Jerry, your personal thoughts on whether it's harming the business or not are irrelevant. The reason behind deciding to ban X group of people and X objects is entirely different. Once again, guns can be left at home, skin color and sexual orientation can't be left at home.

    Oh let me be clear, I don't give a **** about gay rights. If it were in the national interest to box up gays and send them off to 'camps, I would be all for it. But that's not in our best interest. What's in our best interest is a free-flowing, vibrant economy, and unnecessary restrictions on consumers hinders that.
    So then you're against gays being discriminated against?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •