Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 212

Thread: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... And Th

  1. #71
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    40,378

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Being in a relationship is a choice.
    Yep, but being gay is not and neither is being black. Both the first sign you showed and the article in question refer to denying service for the mere act of being black and being gay. That's why they're not the same thing. Continuing to pretend they are will only make you look silly. The only thing which is a choice here is carrying your gun.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #72
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    36,480

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    ...is the same as....


    you compare humans to guns ?
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yep, but being gay is not and neither is being black. Both the first sign you showed and the article in question refer to denying service for the mere act of being black and being gay. That's why they're not the same thing. Continuing to pretend they are will only make you look silly. The only thing which is a choice here is carrying your gun.
    This thread is about business discrimination. I argue that a business open to the public doesn't have a right to refuse broad classes of customers, but only individuals who harm the business.

    You think this is about gay rights, but it's not. This is about business rights and the flow of economy.
    Last edited by Jerry; 04-18-15 at 03:07 AM.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    you compare humans to guns ?
    Nope. Please learn to read and try again

  5. #75
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    36,480

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Nope. Please learn to read and try again
    you should learn the basic logic
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  6. #76
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    40,378

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Going to that business is absolutely a choice, which means you have no argument.
    Jerry, whether going into a business is a choice or not has no bearing on whether that business should be allowed to discriminate. You can't be discriminated against because you're a Christian. That's a choice you've made and yet society has decided it is a protected class. Society has also decided not to discriminate based on race. It's now time to extend the same rights, privileges and benefits we have to other people regardless of whether being gay is a choice or something you're born with. If you don't like it, you can seclude yourself in your home and never own a business.

    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Jerry, whether going into a business is a choice or not has no bearing on whether that business should be allowed to discriminate. You can't be discriminated against because you're a Christian. That's a choice you've made and yet society has decided it is a protected class. Society has also decided not to discriminate based on race. It's now time to extend the same rights, privileges and benefits we have to other people regardless of whether being gay is a choice or something you're born with. If you don't like it, you can seclude yourself in your home and never own a business.

    Quote me accurately, or not at all.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    40,378

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Quote me accurately, or not at all.
    I quoted you accurately. You changed your statements 5 minutes after I finished my post. I can see the timestamps Jerry. Now Jerry, this business is discriminating against a broad class of individuals. There are millions of gays. If you think business has a right to discriminate against them, I argue that it doesn't and the law backs me up on it. I win. If you don't like it, you don't have to own a business and benefit from the rights and privileges afforded to you by society.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I quoted you accurately. You changed your statements 5 minutes after I finished my post.
    You didn't let me finish my edit before posting. Nice try, but no.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I can see the timestamps Jerry.
    Exactly, we can all see the time-stamps, and that means you didn't wait for me to finish. See, I can spin it too, don't start getting nasty with me as if I'm the business owner who just kicked you out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Now Jerry, this business is discriminating against a broad class of individuals. There are millions of gays. If you think business has a right to discriminate against them, I argue that it doesn't and the law backs me up on it. I win. If you don't like it, you don't have to own a business and benefit from the rights, privileges and benefits afforded to you by society.
    I like how you say that as if I agree with the business owner discriminating against gays.

    You do realize that I disagree with the owner, right? Probably not, you let your emotions type for you.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    40,378

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You didn't let me finish my edit before posting. Nice try, but no.
    I didn't know you were editing. However, the fact remains that you said it. I addressed what you said before you had a chance to try and moderate your absurd stance.

    Exactly, we can all see the time-stamps, and that means you didn't wait for me to finish. See, I can spin it too, don't start getting nasty with me as if I'm the business owner who just kicked you out.
    For the second time, nobody can see when you're editing a post. So I did in fact address what you said and quoted your accurately. You can continue to try this silly game but it won't change the discussion or your statements.

    I like how you say that as if I agree with the business owner discriminating against gays.
    I can smell feigned outrage. Jerry, it doesn't matter whether you agree or not. There is absolutely nothing for you to agree or disagree on. He's wrong for discriminating against a large group of people. He's wrong from a legal point. If you don't like it, you can keep trying to complain until the cows come home but it won't change the fact that he's wrong.

    You do realize that I disagree with the owner, right? Probably not, you let your emotions type for you.
    Well, we know Jerry, you're definitely one of those big anti-homophobia types. Do you tell this lie to everyone? Or just people who you think don't know you?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •