Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 212

Thread: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... And Th

  1. #191
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    17,897

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    Love ≠ Approval
    Yeah. Love is better than approval. It means you accept people for who they are without trying to force them to change and you appreciate their differences even if you do not agree. You might learn a thing or two from Jesus.

  2. #192
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    02-18-17 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Yeah. Love is better than approval. It means you accept people for who they are without trying to force them to change and you appreciate their differences even if you do not agree. You might learn a thing or two from Jesus.
    Let's see what Jesus actually said, in the Sermon on the mount for instance (my liberal friends love the Sermon on the Mount, just not all of it)

    Matthew 5: 27-30

    27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery’; 28 but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye makes you [w]stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you [x]to lose one of the parts of your body, [y]than for your whole body to be thrown into [z]hell. 30 If your right hand makes you [aa]stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you [ab]to lose one of the parts of your body, [ac]than for your whole body to go into [ad]hell.

    Ouch!! Sounds like He is talking about changing behavior.

  3. #193
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    17,897

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    Let's see what Jesus actually said, in the Sermon on the mount for instance (my liberal friends love the Sermon on the Mount, just not all of it)

    Matthew 5: 27-30

    27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery’; 28 but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye makes you [w]stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you [x]to lose one of the parts of your body, [y]than for your whole body to be thrown into [z]hell. 30 If your right hand makes you [aa]stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you [ab]to lose one of the parts of your body, [ac]than for your whole body to go into [ad]hell.

    Ouch!! Sounds like He is talking about changing behavior.
    Yeah, adultery is pretty bad. And yet I suspect he even loved adulterers. While we are on the topic can you post where he specifically mentioned homosexuality?

  4. #194
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    17,897

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    Let's see what Jesus actually said, in the Sermon on the mount for instance (my liberal friends love the Sermon on the Mount, just not all of it)

    Matthew 5: 27-30

    27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery’; 28 but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye makes you [w]stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you [x]to lose one of the parts of your body, [y]than for your whole body to be thrown into [z]hell. 30 If your right hand makes you [aa]stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you [ab]to lose one of the parts of your body, [ac]than for your whole body to go into [ad]hell.

    Ouch!! Sounds like He is talking about changing behavior.
    Yeah, adultery is pretty bad. And yet I suspect he even loved adulterers. While we are on the topic can you post where he specifically mentioned homosexuality?

  5. #195
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    02-18-17 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Yeah, adultery is pretty bad. And yet I suspect he even loved adulterers. While we are on the topic can you post where he specifically mentioned homosexuality?
    Being the author of the entire Bible, if it's in The Bible He mentioned it.

  6. #196
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,438

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Yeah and blacks and women should have just 'taken it' too instead of speaking out and fighting for their rights.

    Sorry some people's fight for equality is inconveniencing or annoying you.
    So you stepped into a conversation with someone else, and were wrong there was no confusion):
    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    You're confusing what was codified in the law with the free exercise of religion
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    People supported segregation and racism towards blacks by misusing and intentionally (IMO) scriptures, even into the 1960's. And the Bible has lots of passages that have been used to keep women submissive to men and as property. That had been used to discriminate against women for centuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    Non sequitur
    No response

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    Your non sequitur allowed you to avoid the reality of what I said. That's kind of the purpose of posting a non sequitur.
    No response

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    How ironic
    No response

    LOLOL

    So, now that we have all that out of the way, how would you like to support your position that discrimination against gays based on religious beliefs is different than that same religiously-based discrimination against blacks or women in the past?
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Jerkoffness is protected by The Constitution. That's what makes America great.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #197
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    02-18-17 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    So you stepped into a conversation with someone else, and were wrong there was no confusion):




    No response

    No response



    No response

    LOLOL

    So, now that we have all that out of the way, how would you like to support your position that discrimination against gays based on religious beliefs is different than that same religiously-based discrimination against blacks or women in the past?

    You quoted it. Discrimination against blacks and women (in some instances) was codified in the law.

  8. #198
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    56,598

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Yeah. Love is better than approval. It means you accept people for who they are without trying to force them to change and you appreciate their differences even if you do not agree. You might learn a thing or two from Jesus.
    ..... Now that's Ironic. Jesus loves us so much that he is willing to die in order to try to change us, and insists that we do, in fact, desperately need to change.

    Jesus loved us while we were yet sinners - and then commanded that we go and sin no more.

    Love is indeed better than approval, but you have mixed up the definitions of each.

    Yeah, adultery is pretty bad. And yet I suspect he even loved adulterers.
    Loved them so much, in fact, that He would refuse to simply accept their self-destructive behavior, as opposed to insisting that it change. He would not "appreciate the differences" he had with someone who thought adultery was acceptable.

    While we are on the topic can you post where he specifically mentioned homosexuality?
    Jesus defined marriage as a union between a man and a woman that shouldn't be broken (Matthew 19:4-9) and then prescribed how those unable to live out that standard should live (Matthew 19:10-12). The sinfulness of homosexual conduct wasn't a question in any crowd he addressed, and so there is no reason for him to have pulled it out specifically (he also, for example, never specifically mentioned rape). When the apostles were writing to Greek, Latin, or other non-Hebrew audiences, they did have to contend with a culture in which homosexual conduct was accepted, which is why they did have to discuss it specifically.
    Last edited by cpwill; 04-21-15 at 09:50 AM.
    “In America we have a two-party system,” a Republican congressional staffer told a visiting group of Russian legislators. “There is the stupid party. And there is the evil party. I am proud to be a member of the stupid party. Periodically, the two parties get together and do something that is both stupid and evil. This is called: bipartisanship."

  9. #199
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,438

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    You quoted it. Discrimination against blacks and women (in some instances) was codified in the law.
    The comment was regarding how obnoxious and inconvenient (my paraphrasing) gays are and the comment referred to how people reacted to blacks and women fighting for their civil rights BEFORE their equal rights were recognized by law.

    There ya go, do you understand now?
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Jerkoffness is protected by The Constitution. That's what makes America great.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #200
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    02-18-17 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    The comment was regarding how obnoxious and inconvenient (my paraphrasing) gays are and the comment referred to how people reacted to blacks and women fighting for their civil rights BEFORE their equal rights were recognized by law.

    There ya go, do you understand now?
    Doesn't change the fact that there's no comparison because discrimination against blacks was codified in the law

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •