Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 212

Thread: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... And Th

  1. #151
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    Ah yes, a demonstration of the tolerance of the gay community. See it's not the gayness we dislike, it is the behavior of those defending it.
    Yeah and blacks and women should have just 'taken it' too instead of speaking out and fighting for their rights.

    Sorry some people's fight for equality is inconveniencing or annoying you.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #152
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:13 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,790

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If he's not the gay customer's priest then it's not for him to worry about.
    Say you. But then, it is not your conscience.

  3. #153
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Yeah and blacks and women should have just 'taken it' too instead of speaking out and fighting for their rights.

    Sorry some people's fight for equality is inconveniencing or annoying you.
    You're confusing what was codified in the law with the free exercise of religion

  4. #154
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    You're confusing what was codified in the law with the free exercise of religion
    People supported segregation and racism towards blacks by misusing and intentionally (IMO) scriptures, even into the 1960's. And the Bible has lots of passages that have been used to keep women submissive to men and as property. That had been used to discriminate against women for centuries.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #155
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,270

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Those of us who travel allot see it a bit differently
    The Constitution is not concerned with the convenience of travelers.

  6. #156
    Sage

    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,648

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    People supported segregation and racism towards blacks by misusing and intentionally (IMO) scriptures, even into the 1960's. And the Bible has lots of passages that have been used to keep women submissive to men and as property. That had been used to discriminate against women for centuries.
    Yes, in the Netherlands there is even a political party that for decades has ran on the message that it thinks women have no place in public office because there were no women among the apostles of Jesus. Because Jesus had an all male ensemble around him women should not have the right to be elected into office. Now they have been forced to somewhat alter their position for elected office after the supreme court of the Netherlands had ruled that their ban on women in office was against our laws/constitution.
    Wilders is a piece of gutter trash, a gutless populist who has no morality to speak of.

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    The Constitution is not concerned with the convenience of travelers.
    You might not be, but the Constitution rules over interstate commerce, which includes travel.

  8. #158
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,270

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You might not be, but the Constitution rules over interstate commerce, which includes travel.
    Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 relies on Congress's power to regulate interstate commerce to prohibit discrimination in public accommodations on the basis of race and a couple other characteristics. The Supreme Court upheld this use of the Commerce Clause in Katzenbach v. McClung and Heart of Atlanta Motel. But Congress has never claimed the Commerce Clause gives it power to prohibit discrimination in public accommodations on the basis of sexual orientation. It's questionable whether a federal law which did that would be constitutional.

    Some states have responded by making sexual orientation a protected category in their public accommodations laws, but that has raised other constitutional issues. Twice the Court has held a state public accommodations law, as it had been applied to prohibit discrimination against homosexuals, unconstitutional on First Amendment grounds. In Hurley v. Irish-American GLIB, it held a Massachusetts law violated the freedom of speech, and in Boy Scouts of America v. Dale it held a New Jersey law violated the freedom of association.

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 relies on Congress's power to regulate interstate commerce to prohibit discrimination in public accommodations on the basis of race and a couple other characteristics. The Supreme Court upheld this use of the Commerce Clause in Katzenbach v. McClung and Heart of Atlanta Motel. But Congress has never claimed the Commerce Clause gives it power to prohibit discrimination in public accommodations on the basis of sexual orientation. It's questionable whether a federal law which did that would be constitutional.

    Some states have responded by making sexual orientation a protected category in their public accommodations laws, but that has raised other constitutional issues. Twice the Court has held a state public accommodations law, as it had been applied to prohibit discrimination against homosexuals, unconstitutional on First Amendment grounds. In Hurley v. Irish-American GLIB, it held a Massachusetts law violated the freedom of speech, and in Boy Scouts of America v. Dale it held a New Jersey law violated the freedom of association.
    Irrelevant.

  10. #160
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    58,787

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 relies on Congress's power to regulate interstate commerce to prohibit discrimination in public accommodations on the basis of race and a couple other characteristics. The Supreme Court upheld this use of the Commerce Clause in Katzenbach v. McClung and Heart of Atlanta Motel. But Congress has never claimed the Commerce Clause gives it power to prohibit discrimination in public accommodations on the basis of sexual orientation. It's questionable whether a federal law which did that would be constitutional.

    Some states have responded by making sexual orientation a protected category in their public accommodations laws, but that has raised other constitutional issues. Twice the Court has held a state public accommodations law, as it had been applied to prohibit discrimination against homosexuals, unconstitutional on First Amendment grounds. In Hurley v. Irish-American GLIB, it held a Massachusetts law violated the freedom of speech, and in Boy Scouts of America v. Dale it held a New Jersey law violated the freedom of association.
    In both of those cases, the issue dealt with expressive organizations. There is no doubt that both the state and the feds can prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation for purely commercial entities.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Irrelevant.
    Completely. See above

    matchlight continues to try to use irrelevant case law to make the argument that the banning of discrimination based on sexual orientation may be wholly unconstitutional

    No one is falling for his dishonest and pitiful diversion.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •