Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 212

Thread: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... And Th

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Jerry, your personal thoughts on whether it's harming the business or not are irrelevant. The reason behind deciding to ban X group of people and X objects is entirely different.
    It's all the same: personal bias, no real reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Once again, guns can be left at home, skin color and sexual orientation can't be left at home.
    Irrelevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So then you're against gays being discriminated against?
    By default. Businesses shouldn't be discriminating against anyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Just like businesses can tell you that they don't allow kids, and you have the choice to leave them at home.
    Let's explore that.

    So if I'm in OH visiting my kids and some business tells me I have to leave my kids at home, I'm expected to make that 1,200mile trip back to SD, drop my kids off, make the 1,200mile trip back to the store, then 1,200miles back to SD to pick my kids up, and 1,200miles back to OH to continue with our visit? And no, I can't leave them at their house, because the ex is either gon or will call the cops and file a report that I'm not fulfilling visitation.

    No, I can't leave my gun at home, because there are "prohibited persons" who would then have access to it. I could leave it in my car but this thread is about a mechanic's shop so if I'm dropping the car off...

    And if I'm your employee, no I can't leave my phone at home because my neighborhood is prone to burglaries (hence the aforementioned firearm). As long as I'm not, say, texting while driving a forklift, it's not your place to worry about if I have a phone or not.

    You have no idea rather or not I can leave the thing you don't like at home, and it's not your business to even worry about. My person is not your business, so mind your business
    Last edited by Jerry; 04-18-15 at 05:27 AM.

  2. #92
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    41,321

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It's all the same: personal bias, no real reason.

    Irrelevant.
    Jerry, every single form of personal bias involves some sort of discrimination. However, as you should know by now, not all forms of discrimination are illegal. So no, it's not all the same. With that stated, your continued attempt to try and paint all to be the same is getting pretty absurd now. What's in question is not discrimination itself, but discrimination of gay people.

    By default. Businesses shouldn't be discriminating against anyone.

    Let's explore that.

    So if I'm in OH visiting my kids and some business tells me I have to leave my kids at home, I'm expected to make that 1,200mile trip back to SD, drop my kids off, make the 1,200mile trip back to the store, then 1,200miles back to SD to pick my kids up, and 1,200miles back to OH to continue with our visit? And no, I can't leave them at their house, because the ex is either gon or will call the cops and file a report that I'm not fulfilling visitation.

    You have no idea rather or not I can leave the thing you don't like at home, and it's not your business to even worry about.

    No, I can't leave my gun at home, because there are "prohibited persons" who would then have access to it. And if I'm your employee, no I can't leave my phone at home because my neighborhood is prone to burglaries (hence the aforementioned firearm). As long as I'm not, say, texting while driving a forklift, it's not your place to worry about if I have a phone or not.
    You could always find a babysitter, Jerry. You can work out of a solution with your X about your kids. You can't find a babysitter for gayness or leave it with any individual. Continuing to compare issues in which whatever it is you're carrying with you, is something which can be left at home or in the care of another individual makes you look desperate. They're not even remotely comparable.

    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #93
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    41,387

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    you compare humans to guns ?
    Of course he doesn't. Guns are more important.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Of course he doesn't. Guns are more important.
    Well I have to say that there are far more gun owners than gays, which does make gun owners more relevant than gays as a voting demographic.

  5. #95
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    41,387

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Well I have to say that there are far more gun owners than gays, which does make gun owners more relevant than gays as a voting demographic.
    So what.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  6. #96
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    41,321

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    So what.
    He's just hellbent on trying to make the two look equal. It's kind of like when people argue that atheism is a religion. You just let them dig themselves a hole and watch them try and spin the argument out of logic.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #97
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    74,098

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You didn't let me finish my edit before posting. Nice try, but no.


    Exactly, we can all see the time-stamps, and that means you didn't wait for me to finish. See, I can spin it too, don't start getting nasty with me as if I'm the business owner who just kicked you out.


    I like how you say that as if I agree with the business owner discriminating against gays.

    You do realize that I disagree with the owner, right? Probably not, you let your emotions type for you.
    You made the mistake of engaging him in the first place.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Jerry, every single form of personal bias involves some sort of discrimination. However, as you should know by now, not all forms of discrimination are illegal. So no, it's not all the same. With that stated, your continued attempt to try and paint all to be the same is getting pretty absurd now. What's in question is not discrimination itself, but discrimination of gay people.
    If this thread is about gays then I don't know why Medusa's posting signs about race. It seems you've been outvoted, this thread is about more than just gays.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You could always find a babysitter, Jerry.
    For a 5 minute visit in a shop? That's ridiculous.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You can work out of a solution with your X about your kids.
    You claim to know me yet you think the ex and I can work anything out? On any topic? HA!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You can't find a babysitter for gayness or leave it with any individual. Continuing to compare issues in which whatever it is you're carrying with you, is something which can be left at home or in the care of another individual makes you look desperate. They're not even remotely comparable.

    They're both things the business owner has no business even inquiring about let alone restricting.
    Last edited by Jerry; 04-18-15 at 05:53 AM.

  9. #99
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    39,458

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironfist View Post
    It is so sad that people's understanding of religion has become so distorted that he does not realize that what he is doing is immoral.
    Actually the "distortion" of religion has come about in the degree of acceptance of what has traditionally been interpreted as severe and deadly sin. It is the gay or abortion movements that are aberrant in that respect, whether you are partial to such acts or not.

  10. #100
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    41,321

    Re: Michigan Car Repair Shop Owner Says He Will Turn Away Openly Gay Customers ... An

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If this thread is about gays then I don't know why Medusa's posting signs about race. It seems you've been outvoted, this thread is about more than just gays.
    Jerry, read the title and get back to me. It is in fact about gays. The very reason the person decided to make those statements was because of gays. Now, I don't care about Medusa. I addressed your post.

    For a 5 minute visit in a shop? That's ridiculous.
    Then leave them outside the shop for 5 mins, Jerry. The same applies for guns. Can someone leave skin color and sexual orientation outside for 5 mins while the person goes in for a 5 minute visit? No.

    You claim to know me yet you think the ex and I can work anything out? On any topic? HA!
    Your marital problems don't really concern me. What I do know are your positions on homosexuality. They're not exactly friendly to them.

    They're both things the business owner has no business even inquiring about let alone restricting.
    Actually, business owners have a responsibility to ensure the safety of their customers. If they feel guns threaten the safety of their customers, they are more than allowed to ban them because a gun owner can leave their weapon at home or any number of places.

    En tout cas, businesses that restrict the entry of children usually do so because of the content of their merchandise. Others are allowed to do so because they provide services which minors can't legally access. Such discrimination is allowed because being a parent is definitely something which you can leave at home, being gay is not.

    Again, nobody here is discussing discrimination itself but discrimination of a group of people based on a trait they can't in any sense of the word distance themselves from. You can't stop being gay for 5 mins while you go in the store. You can't leave gayness in a car. You can't leave gayness with a babysitter. You can't even tie it to a parking meter while you go about your business. So no matter how hard you try, Jerry, they're not the same thing.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 04-18-15 at 06:02 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •