Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 94

Thread: Police and "Free Range" Children

  1. #31
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,818

    Re: Police and "Free Range" Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    Other than the emoticon I don't see any evidence of harm. Coerced doesn't mean forced. This is the reason why people keep calling the police and thinking these kids are in danger. Because this time it was a cop with the children's best interest in mind coercing them into his car, next time it could easily be a pedophile.

    Particularly after the media keeps reporting who these kids are and which parks they are walking home alone from.
    Nice straw man. Kids being detained for 6 hours without food and being kept from their parents can't possibly have any effect on them.
    Trump is so good at eliminating government waste, he's shortened POTUS to POS. Thanks, Trump!

  2. #32
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Police and "Free Range" Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    Other than the emoticon I don't see any evidence of harm. Coerced doesn't mean forced. This is the reason why people keep calling the police and thinking these kids are in danger. Because this time it was a cop with the children's best interest in mind coercing them into his car, next time it could easily be a pedophile.

    Particularly after the media keeps reporting who these kids are and which parks they are walking home alone from.
    So are you saying that kids shouldn't be allowed out of the house alone? They were 2-3 blocks away from home on their way home. Why did they need to go to the crisis center?
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #33
    Puer Aeternus
    Tsunami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-08-16 @ 03:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: Police and "Free Range" Children

    Quote Originally Posted by azgreg View Post
    Nice straw man. Kids being detained for 6 hours without food and being kept from their parents can't possibly have any effect on them.
    Yours is the straw man. I said there's no evidence of harm, not that there's no way it wasn't good for them. You don't know what the conversation was between the kids and the officer, you are jumping to conclusions. The police have been called on these kids before for some reason, so at least two people and now two officers thought they were in danger. The state has a compelling interest to investigate these things, last time it was filed as "unsubstantiated" but sometimes there is actual abuse. They can't know without checking.

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    So are you saying that kids shouldn't be allowed out of the house alone? They were 2-3 blocks away from home on their way home. Why did they need to go to the crisis center?
    I don't know the kids, and I don't know why they were taken to the crisis center. I'm not saying that no kid should be allowed to play outside alone, I roamed the neighborhood freely in my own past. But two citizens who did see the kids thought they should call the police, and two police who investigated the situation thought they should contact the CPS. I give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Last edited by Tsunami; 04-15-15 at 11:30 PM.
    Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude.

  4. #34
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,818

    Re: Police and "Free Range" Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    Yours is the straw man. I said there's no evidence of harm, not that there's no way it wasn't good for them. You don't know what the conversation was between the kids and the officer, you are jumping to conclusions. The police have been called on these kids before for some reason, so at least two people and now two officers thought they were in danger. The state has a compelling interest to investigate these things, last time it was filed as "unsubstantiated" but sometimes there is actual abuse. They can't know without checking.
    For the same heinous reason of walking home from the park.

    I don't know the kids, and I don't know why they were taken to the crisis center. I'm not saying that no kid should be allowed to play outside alone, I roamed the neighborhood freely in my own past. But two citizens who did see the kids thought they should call the police, and two police who investigated the situation thought they should contact the CPS. I give them the benefit of the doubt.
    This is clear overreaction from the police. Nothing less.
    Trump is so good at eliminating government waste, he's shortened POTUS to POS. Thanks, Trump!

  5. #35
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Police and "Free Range" Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    Yours is the straw man. I said there's no evidence of harm, not that there's no way it wasn't good for them. You don't know what the conversation was between the kids and the officer, you are jumping to conclusions. The police have been called on these kids before for some reason, so at least two people and now two officers thought they were in danger. The state has a compelling interest to investigate these things, last time it was filed as "unsubstantiated" but sometimes there is actual abuse. They can't know without checking.



    I don't know the kids, and I don't know why they were taken to the crisis center. I'm not saying that no kid should be allowed to play outside alone, I roamed the neighborhood freely in my own past. But two citizens who did see the kids thought they should call the police, and two police who investigated the situation thought they should contact the CPS. I give them the benefit of the doubt.
    The police remained silent about their possession of the children for hours. Think the parents weren't worried?
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  6. #36
    Puer Aeternus
    Tsunami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-08-16 @ 03:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: Police and "Free Range" Children

    Quote Originally Posted by azgreg View Post
    For the same heinous reason of walking home from the park.
    This is clear overreaction from the police. Nothing less.
    I can agree that this was an overreaction, but I also think the outrage caused by this is an overreaction. There are thousands of kids playing outside alone, for some reason these two particular children have had the police called on them twice. I don't know why that is, but I don't condemn the police for investigating, even if that means they had to sit in a car for a few hours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    The police remained silent about their possession of the children for hours. Think the parents weren't worried?
    Maybe a little worrying would be good. If there is such a thing as overprotective parents then there must also be underprotective parents. I don't know enough about the local community to say this is true in this particular case, but I do know that if you don't watch your children then you should be prepared to worry when they don't return on time. If that worry is caused by the police, consider yourself lucky, not violated.
    Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Police and "Free Range" Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    I can agree that this was an overreaction, but I also think the outrage caused by this is an overreaction. There are thousands of kids playing outside alone, for some reason these two particular children have had the police called on them twice. I don't know why that is, but I don't condemn the police for investigating, even if that means they had to sit in a car for a few hours.

    Maybe a little worrying would be good. If there is such a thing as overprotective parents then there must also be underprotective parents. I don't know enough about the local community to say this is true in this particular case, but I do know that if you don't watch your children then you should be prepared to worry when they don't return on time. If that worry is caused by the police, consider yourself lucky, not violated.
    The cops didn't contact the parents for hours!! Do you understand this?
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,768

    Re: Police and "Free Range" Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    Yours is the straw man. I said there's no evidence of harm, not that there's no way it wasn't good for them. You don't know what the conversation was between the kids and the officer, you are jumping to conclusions. The police have been called on these kids before for some reason, so at least two people and now two officers thought they were in danger. The state has a compelling interest to investigate these things, last time it was filed as "unsubstantiated" but sometimes there is actual abuse. They can't know without checking.



    I don't know the kids, and I don't know why they were taken to the crisis center. I'm not saying that no kid should be allowed to play outside alone, I roamed the neighborhood freely in my own past. But two citizens who did see the kids thought they should call the police, and two police who investigated the situation thought they should contact the CPS. I give them the benefit of the doubt.
    the officers violated several of the kids rights and now will be made example of.

    detained without cause.
    not allowed a phone call
    no legal representation
    and the list goes on.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,768

    Re: Police and "Free Range" Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    The cops didn't contact the parents for hours!! Do you understand this?
    I don't think they do.

  10. #40
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,629

    Re: Police and "Free Range" Children

    Free Range Children......or, as they were known prior to like 2000, Children.

    Sigh.

    The wonders of the Maryland Government, the #2 reason I'd never want to live in Maryland (#1...it puts me closer to that ghastly Baltimore accent hon)
    #WhoDrewTheDicks

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •