Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Obama says concerned China bullying others in South China Sea

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Obama says concerned China bullying others in South China Sea

    One possible reason why Obama has chosen to come to terms with Iran is to facilitate a pivot to the Asia Pacific so that the U.S. can deal with the perceived threat of the rise in Chinese power. However, I predict that this neocon based notion of pre-emption will create more problems than it solves.

    U.S. President Barack Obama said Washington is concerned China is using its "sheer size and muscle" to push around smaller nations in the South China Sea, drawing a swift rebuke from Beijing which accused the United States of being the bully.

    China's rapid reclamation around seven reefs in the Spratly archipelago of the South China Sea has alarmed other claimants, such as the Philippines and Vietnam, and drawn growing criticism from U.S. government officials and the military.

    While the new islands will not overturn U.S. military superiority in the region, workers are building ports and fuel storage depots and possibly two airstrips that experts have said would allow Beijing to project power deep into the maritime heart of Southeast Asia.

    "Where we get concerned with China is where it is not necessarily abiding by international norms and rules and is using its sheer size and muscle to force countries into subordinate positions," Obama told a town-hall event in Jamaica on Thursday ahead of a Caribbean summit in Panama.

    "We think this can be solved diplomatically, but just because the Philippines or Vietnam are not as large as China doesn't mean that they can just be elbowed aside," he said.

    Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said the United States had no right to accuse anyone of pushing anyone else around.

    "I think everyone can see very clearly who it is in the world who is using the greatest size and muscle," she told a daily news briefing in Beijing on Friday.

    The United States needed to do more to show that it really wanted to play a constructive, responsible and positive role in the South China Sea, and should not ignore the efforts China and Southeast Asian nations have made to try and address the dispute, Hua added.
    Obama says concerned China bullying others in South China Sea | Reuters

  2. #2
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,328

    Re: Obama says concerned China bullying others in South China Sea

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    One possible reason why Obama has chosen to come to terms with Iran is to facilitate a pivot to the Asia Pacific so that the U.S. can deal with the perceived threat of the rise in Chinese power. However, I predict that this neocon based notion of pre-emption will create more problems than it solves.

    Obama says concerned China bullying others in South China Sea | Reuters
    That is only an excuse if you believe Obama can't manage two things at once. Or four if you count golf and basketball brackets.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Obama says concerned China bullying others in South China Sea

    Yep folks. There is no doubt. The U.S. is positioning itself for a face off with China. Please note that this is coming from all quarters in the U.S. establishment.

    Pentagon chief vows to deploy 'best' US weaponry to Asia

    Defence Secretary Ashton Carter promised today that the US would deploy state of the art weaponry in Asia, including the latest stealth bombers and cyber warfare units, to counter threats posed by the likes of North Korea.

    "Our newest and best things are being deployed to this part of the world," Carter said in Seoul - the second leg of a visit to the two key US military allies in the region, Japan and South Korea.
    ...
    Pentagon chief vows to deploy 'best' US weaponry to Asia - The Economic Times

    Make no mistake, China was most certainly in mind with that proclamation.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Obama says concerned China bullying others in South China Sea

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    That is only an excuse if you believe Obama can't manage two things at once. Or four if you count golf and basketball brackets.
    It is not a partisan manner of Obama. It is about larger U.S. strategic objectives.

  5. #5
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,328

    Re: Obama says concerned China bullying others in South China Sea

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    It is not a partisan manner of Obama. It is about larger U.S. strategic objectives.
    Sure, but using his comments on China to excuse his cluster boink with Iran requires we assume Obama is an incompetent boob incapable of spinning more than one plate.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Obama says concerned China bullying others in South China Sea

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Sure, but using his comments on China to excuse his cluster boink with Iran requires we assume Obama is an incompetent boob incapable of spinning more than one plate.
    It was not an excuse. It was a strategic statement to stake out a position.

  7. #7
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,328

    Re: Obama says concerned China bullying others in South China Sea

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    It was not an excuse. It was a strategic statement to stake out a position.
    OK sure, if you think the slapdash rush for a bad deal with Iran so that he can focus on China is a strategic statement then again, is Obama too incompetent to deal with Iran and China at the same time?
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Obama says concerned China bullying others in South China Sea

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    OK sure, if you think the slapdash rush for a bad deal with Iran so that he can focus on China is a strategic statement then again, is Obama too incompetent to deal with Iran and China at the same time?
    It is not a matter of Obama because his term in office is practically up with respect to how the U.S. is going to deal with China. There will be a deal with Iran, regardless of the smoke and mirrors rhetorical contest that is taking place among some of the players involved. This is so because there is quite a bit of money to be made in Iran and because the U.S. wants to focus on China.

  9. #9
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,328

    Re: Obama says concerned China bullying others in South China Sea

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    It is not a matter of Obama because his term in office is practically up with respect to how the U.S. is going to deal with China. There will be a deal with Iran, regardless of the smoke and mirrors rhetorical contest that is taking place among some of the players involved. This is so because there is quite a bit of money to be made in Iran and because the U.S. wants to focus on China.
    THe US can focus on Iran and China. Like I keep saying, it takes a special kind of buffoon in the Oval Office to not be able to handle two issues simultaneously. Maybe if he spent less time fund raising and more time being president he could manage both.

    Also, saying that a deal "will" happen with Iran isn't a ringing endorsement given that the deal is with a brutal Iranian regime that, in the end, wants us dead. You have to assume that Iran will stop being crazy or that the US will sign a treaty with a brutal, insane regime. The former won't happen and the latter would be a disaster.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Obama says concerned China bullying others in South China Sea

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    THe US can focus on Iran and China. Like I keep saying, it takes a special kind of buffoon in the Oval Office to not be able to handle two issues simultaneously. Maybe if he spent less time fund raising and more time being president he could manage both.

    Also, saying that a deal "will" happen with Iran isn't a ringing endorsement given that the deal is with a brutal Iranian regime that, in the end, wants us dead. You have to assume that Iran will stop being crazy or that the US will sign a treaty with a brutal, insane regime. The former won't happen and the latter would be a disaster.
    Even if the U.S. does not go along, Europe will move forward without the U.S. Not only that, but the U.S. simply cannot afford to build up the Middle East and East Asia at this point. It simply is not going to happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •