Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 137

Thread: Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal

  1. #71
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    32,575

    Re: Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal

    My interpretation of this bill is that it is intended more to intimidate people into not even attempting to record incidents.
    Oy vey!

  2. #72
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,962

    Re: Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    i cannot see how this is in any way unreasonable.

    Anything has cen shown from a distance of 25 feet, as a reporter I would have given an arm to be guaranteed 25 feet from anything.
    You're not reading any of the replies, I guess.

    It's OK that any traffic stop is just about inherently illegal to record? It's OK to make it illegal to record your OWN interaction with police? If you're in a small room, any recording is illegal, especially if you're legally carrying a gun, which mandates 100 feet. Reasonable? If you're filming, a police officer entering into the 25 foot zone (100 feet if you have a legal firearm) makes you a criminal unless you stop immediately, which means grounds for arrest, seizing your recording device and up to 6 months in jail. You're OK with that? They only have to prove you were recording in that prohibited zone. Nothing else.

    I would further suggest that in yet to be controlled situation, even that close could be dangerous to the filmer as well as the officers.
    It's already illegal to interfere with a police officer. Police would have the same rights they have now to clear people (recording or not) from a scene when necessary to do his or her job properly and safely.

    Explain why a photographer (aka an ordinary person with their cell phone out and recording) is more dangerous than any other person with a cell phone out but not recording?
    Last edited by JasperL; 04-10-15 at 03:21 PM.

  3. #73
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 11:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,552

    Re: Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal

    I'm having some trouble understanding you here so I'm going to break this up:

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    So no evidence produces a question of how much?
    no evidence of what?

    You had the answer, you just didn't like it. Note for future reference the lack of finding anything often means there is none.
    what answer did I have? I googled "how often do citizens filming actually interfere with police". I just now tried "cases of police interference with cameras" on bing. both instances didn't bring up any stats or examples of how often this type of thing actually occurs. if you're saying that the fact that I couldn't find anything means that it never happens, I guess that means this law is utterly and completely unnecessary, doesn't it?

    And not wasting the time of the police is a cop out. I volunteer for the local police and that is what we do, find answers to those questions so the public better understands the complexity of a police officer's job.
    okay...but I'm guessing the Vancouver police department works a bit differently from mine, so maybe that scenario wouldn't apply down here

    the fact you don't accept "no evidence" for what it is and don't want to know about how police do their job says all that needs be said.
    again, if there's no evidence that filming police ever actually interferes with their work, then why would we ever need this law?

  4. #74
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,697

    Re: Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by bg85 View Post
    I'm having some trouble understanding you here so I'm going to break this up:


    no evidence of what?



    what answer did I have? I googled "how often do citizens filming actually interfere with police". I just now tried "cases of police interference with cameras" on bing. both instances didn't bring up any stats or examples of how often this type of thing actually occurs. if you're saying that the fact that I couldn't find anything means that it never happens, I guess that means this law is utterly and completely unnecessary, doesn't it?



    okay...but I'm guessing the Vancouver police department works a bit differently from mine, so maybe that scenario wouldn't apply down here



    again, if there's no evidence that filming police ever actually interferes with their work, then why would we ever need this law?


    Oh FFS

    You Googled you said and found NOTHING

    And so you decided to post the question anyway?

    How much more simply can I say you. had. the. answer. NONE!

    Good bye and have a good whatever it is you do
    "I will kill these people if I have to." Christopher Cantwell, White Nationalist leader, August 2017

  5. #75
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,697

    Re: Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    You're not reading any of the replies, I guess.

    It's OK that any traffic stop is just about inherently illegal to record? It's OK to make it illegal to record your OWN interaction with police? If you're in a small room, any recording is illegal, especially if you're legally carrying a gun, which mandates 100 feet. Reasonable? If you're filming, a police officer entering into the 25 foot zone (100 feet if you have a legal firearm) makes you a criminal unless you stop immediately, which means grounds for arrest, seizing your recording device and up to 6 months in jail. You're OK with that? They only have to prove you were recording in that prohibited zone. Nothing else.



    It's already illegal to interfere with a police officer. Police would have the same rights they have now to clear people (recording or not) from a scene when necessary to do his or her job properly and safely.

    Explain why a photographer (aka an ordinary person with their cell phone out and recording) is more dangerous than any other person with a cell phone out but not recording?
    I see no evidence of any of that.

    But if you say so, then the law is clearly unconstitutional and you have no worries.

    Somehow I doubt that. I know how the Amerikan left operates. You're the guys who issue death threats over pizza shops not wanting to cater gay weddings.

    hysteria is common, but if your claims are correct, it is an open and shut case
    "I will kill these people if I have to." Christopher Cantwell, White Nationalist leader, August 2017

  6. #76
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 11:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,552

    Re: Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Oh FFS

    You Googled you said and found NOTHING

    And so you decided to post the question anyway?

    How much more simply can I say you. had. the. answer. NONE!

    Good bye and have a good whatever it is you do
    ...I'm absolutely confused by what you've posted here. I googled the question. I'm looking for cases where a citizen films the police and as a result, the police were hindered or prevented from doing their job properly. when I googled it an bing'd it, I found a bunch of advocacy sites but no statistics on how often this happens. then I posted the question here, wondering if anyone had any idea about how often it happens. I don't know how else to explain it. I didn't think the google results were a good indicator of the information that might be out there so I tried asking.

    also, what side are you trying to argue right now? you keep repeating that I have the answer already: "none". if it's true that there is no evidence that citizens actually interfere or prevent officers from doing their job, then aren't you making the case that there is no reason to have this law?

    am I not making myself clear? can someone else help me out? this is confusing the **** out of me.

  7. #77
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,786

    Re: Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I guess those with cameras better invest in a tape measure to carry with them so they'll know at what point they're subject to six months in jail for stepping one foot into that prohibited zone.

    Also, too, it's 100 feet if you are legally carrying a weapon. That's a long tape measure!

    And if the bill intends to preserve a crime scene, why allow those NOT filming into the "NO RECORDING ALLOWED ZONE!"? What point do special rules for those recording the scene serve? I can't think of any, except the obvious one which is reduce the situations when it's legal to record the police, and to hand cops an easily abused excuse to arrest bystanders who have the temerity to get their cameras out. If you're driving, and your wife records a traffic stop during which you get drug out of your car and beaten, she's committing a crime and will be subject to (up to) six months in jail. You're OK with that I guess.....
    Or listen to the officer.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  8. #78
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,786

    Re: Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    That the headline is somewhat misleading is true. However, pretty much everybody in this thread seems to have figured that out and is moving on with the discussion.
    "Somewhat misleading"? Is that what we call lies these days?
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  9. #79
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,509
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal



    Why would police not want their actions recorded on video for all to see?

    If it wasn't recorded, it didn't happen.

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,962

    Re: Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Or listen to the officer.
    They can arrest you jt, and all you have to do is record within a zone the officer says is less than 25 feet. It's an invitation for abuse, and it means you can't film YOUR OWN interaction with police, can't film a traffic stop, etc, etc. etc.

    And you didn't answer the question - why single out those with a cell phone and recording, versus those with a cell phone and their camera off?

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •