Page 92 of 110 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast
Results 911 to 920 of 1099

Thread: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

  1. #911
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by cAPSLOCK View Post
    I am sorry. You are wrong here.

    It is true he should not run from the cop. That's a misdemeanor. But that misdemeanor does not justify murder, which is a capital offense.

    Running was wrong. But it pales to nothing in the face of cold blooded murder. Without some serious new evidence it is my sincere hope the shooter gets the maximum penalty. And I hope justice is swift.
    He ran, then was caught up to. Then physically engaged the officer. That is a felony.

  2. #912
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:16 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,950

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    If the officer wasn't "in the wrong," then that's a FAR bigger problem than this one death. He shot an unarmed man, in the back, fleeing a routine traffic stop.
    No. Your narrative is off.
    He started fleeing while his info was being checked.
    His fleeing is not over a traffic violation.

    Secondly, he wasn't unarmed at the moment the Officer started responding.


    As for a far bigger problem? No it really isn't a problem for anybody but the significant threat fleeing.


    As previously presented.
    Fleeing suspect gets rid of weapon rendering him an unarmed fleeing suspect, the Officer continues to shoot knowing this and was cleared.
    This is what the law allows regardless if the suspect tosses the weapon.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #913
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:16 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,950

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    There is no need to be snide or condescending to others, and this you have been on this thread. A more civil tone just might foster more engaged and civil debate.
    You seem to be missing the fact that others haven't been civil. Strange.
    That in itself is a bias problem.

    But if you say you did something and it is obviously is not true, I am not going to let that go unchecked.
    Dishonesty needs to be pointed out.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  4. #914
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-26-17 @ 09:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,697

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Thank you.
    While the arguments are mine, the supportive visual information like the image in that post comes from someone else who is obviously of similar thought.
    It was found at the Conservativetreehouse and they deserve the credit for that.
    I'm interested in reading the full report once it's out.

  5. #915
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,915

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    No. Your narrative is off.
    He started fleeing while his info was being checked.
    His fleeing is not over a traffic violation.
    The point is they weren't stopping a suspected rapist, murderer, armed robber, drug courier although it shouldn't matter he was. He was pulled over for a broken tail light.

    Secondly, he wasn't unarmed at the moment the Officer started responding.
    I don't even know what that means. At what moment did the Officer 'start responding?' What you seem to be saying is he may have been, fleetingly, 'armed' with a tazer, and that's enough to shoot him dead in the back, running away, and not threatening the Officer in any way. It's simple - he was RUNNING AWAY....

    And what matters is whether he was armed when shot in the back. You keep posting that video but it's apples and dump trucks. The last bit of the video describes the many ways the guy in THAT incident proved himself a danger to the public, and he had a FIREARM, that can kill at long distances. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like he's run out of ammo in the magazine - the slide looks locked back to me in the video.

    What threat is a guy with a tazer, which he didn't actually have, to 'the public.' None. He's not a threat to the cop armed with a weapon and the guy running away. How's he going to taze the cop while running away. You keep mentioning the probes - yeah, that's tough to hit someone with probes running away from them.....

    As for a far bigger problem? No it really isn't a problem for anybody but the significant threat fleeing.
    Yeah, OK, running away is a license to kill, by shooting them in the BACK. I think we understand your position.

    Everyone else sees a cop resorting to deadly force when it's clearly and wildly inappropriate. If he imagines a "significant threat" is some guy unarmed running away from him, then he's liable to see grandmas in wheelchairs armed with a fork as a significant threat, etc.

  6. #916
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,498

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Berate? No.
    Condescending to your arrogance declaring you did something you obviously didn't do, all in an attempt to add more credence to your argument? Yes.
    Condescending for sure! That's you all over!! Arrogance on my part, no. One can only go with the facts and/or evidence that's before them. And I've openly admitted that I had not seen the slow motion CNN video beforehand. Once I did review it, I corrected my position as necessary. But you...you're still an ass no matter what.

    Which is your fault for trying to engage in debate without familiarizing yourself with that which came before.
    Again, I based my assessment on the evidence I had before me as anyone would do. Until new evidence presented itself or I was made aware of it, my position need not change.

    You obviously have been doing this long enough, so you must know that opens you up to being wrong.
    Same as everyone else. What's your point?

    And yet here you were making definite statements while claiming you gave a "careful review" when none of it was true.
    Again, based on the evidence I was privy to, yes.

    This is ignoring the evidence.
    Again, it could not have come from the Officer's hands.
    The movement of the taser does not allow for it to come from either of his hands, that only allows for it to have come from the suspect. Which corresponds with the Officer's claim.
    I disagree, but let's move on because unless the video imagery is made clearer, there's really no way to tell conclusively if Mr. Scott or Officer Slager had possession of the taser prior to it being knocked or thrown to the ground.

    And this is again wrong.
    The Officer was already responding to the threat the suspect was before he threw the taser and before he fled.

    And again, as previously shown, once the threat has been established the Officer can continue to respond regardless if the weapon is tossed away.

    Once the resisting and combative suspect took the taser, he was such a significant threat.
    Again, assuming that Mr. Scott did possess Officer Slager's taser after the scuffle but before he fled, he certainly didn't have it once he ran the second time. And as I've previously stated, until Officer Slager gave chase, there was no imminent nor immediate threat to him. Such a perceived thread didn't present itself until after the scuffle ensued. In any case, clearly, law enforcement officials believe that Mr. Scott stopped being a threat once the "weapon" - the taser - was no longer in his possession (assuming he did posses such at any point) making him an unarmed man WITH his back turned as he attempted to flee.

    Now, maybe after reviewing all the evidence a grand jury may conclude that Officer Slager was justified in his actions every step of the way. Maybe they won't. From what I've seen and based on a reading of the statue as you've provided, I firmly believe that Officer Slager went too far. But I'm sure you disagree and that's okay. Ultimately, the courts will decide Officer Slager's fate as he certainly decided Mr. Scott's.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 04-12-15 at 03:21 PM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  7. #917
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,498

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    You continue to ignore the fact that as soon as he took the taser he was a significant threat.
    First off, I notice you've stopped using the terms "immediate" or "imminent" threats to describe the perceived position Officer Slager believed himself to be in and downgraded such to "significant". Unfortunate for your position, a "significant threat" doesn't measure up to "imminent or immediate danger".

    Second, I totally disagree with your assessment that the tether lines from the taser were wrapped around the victim or the officer. Mr. Scott wouldn't have been able to run and Officer Slager wouldn't have been able to walk unimpeded if they were.

    Third, assuming that the tether was wrapped around (at least) Mr. Scott, common sense would still lead one to conclude that the "significant threat" had abated since the taser leads had already been ejected from the device and the tether remained expelled. You can also conclude that the taser itself had already be discharged since Officer Slager choose not to use it again. (Of course, by then it was on the ground and the tether training the assailant.)

    My point here just as others who have commented against Officer Slager's actions is that Mr. Scott, an unarmed man at the time of his death, was not a threat to the would-be arresting officer. I don't disregard the fact that there was a struggle. I don't disregard the likelihood that Mr. Scott may have possessed Officer Slager's taser. I'm just saying as have others that despite what occurred moments prior to the shooting, Mr. Scott wasn't an "imminent or immediate or significant" threat to Officer Slager or the public at the time he fled unarmed and was subsequently shot multiple times.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 04-12-15 at 03:24 PM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  8. #918
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,285

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    If the officer wasn't "in the wrong," then that's a FAR bigger problem than this one death. He shot an unarmed man, in the back, fleeing a routine traffic stop.
    The officer was wrong and the authorities acted correctly and swiftly. There are most certainly more details that none of us here have liberty to. For the sheriff to basically call the officer a liar and the police chief to fire him within a day is an ominous sign. I suspect the other officers have played a pivotal role in what they observed.

    One wonders what the outcome would have been without the video. The most pathetic scene was the officer tossing the weapon down near the still alive man and not doing immediate CPR as he lied to.

  9. #919
    Sporadic insanity normal.



    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,390

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    I think the underlined explains it and why the Officer is given that discretion.
    And I'm questioning that discretion.

    In the SC case, it led to the unnecessary death of a man (at least, given the info I have currently).
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  10. #920
    Sporadic insanity normal.



    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,390

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    So far as I can tell, the argument supporting the Police officer here is that it was TOTALLY LEGAL for this police officer to shoot an unarmed, fleeing man in the back, simply because he considered him still a threat?


    Why?!
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 92 of 110 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •