Page 91 of 110 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 910 of 1092

Thread: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

  1. #901
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    56,505

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    So this all started because the government demanded he pay child support. So basically it all started with a law that forces people to support something they never consented to. Sorry, but I can't help but laugh at that.

  2. #902
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-23-17 @ 06:15 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    30,588

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    the running man had ample opportunity to 'reload' a cartridge he doesnt have for a weapon he's never used before (uh, yeah), while attempting his escape.
    This is you showing your ignorance again.
    The extra cartridge is on the bottom of it's handle.
    Nor does he need to reload, as he can use the prongs instead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    And again...such a dangerous weapon! Why put it right down next to the suspect, still alive on the ground? Yeah, he'll have fun explaining why he didnt secure the weapon instead.
    And again this is you assuming he did.
    But let's go with that assumption.
    1. The witness said he made it clear to the Officer he was being recorded.
    2. The witness also stated that the Officer knew that he was being recorded.
    3. The Officer dropped it in plain view of another Officer as well as the witness.

    To suggest that this was an attempt at a plant in light of this information, is ludicrous and nothing more than convoluted thoughts.

    The Officer just experienced a traumatic incident. It is normal for there to be some manifestation of abnormal behavior after this.
    His duty, as trained, was to secure the weapons, which unless there is evidence indicating otherwise, is the thing that should be assumed he is doing.
    While he may have made a mistake dropping it next to the unconscious suspect in his attempt to secure the scene, he shortly thought better of it and secured it in it's holster, but it is not indicative of a plant.

    You sarcastically insinuating otherwise is just sinister folly.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I think the cop was just too lazy to run after him and didnt want to have to restrain such a big guy on his own.
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!
    That is why he gave chase and involved himself in a ground struggle to subdue the suspect.
    It's like you put no effort into your thoughts. They just run off of bias.








    Still waiting for all those claiming the Officer lied to prove it.
    Last edited by Excon; 04-12-15 at 12:39 PM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #903
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    03-16-17 @ 05:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    8,972

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Go to that link right up there, and watch the slow mo. They were on the ground.

    Or better yet, just pay attention to what the witness has said.

    From the witness.
    The Story

    The Rutherford Law Firm, LLC, undertook to represent Feidin Santana after Feidin witnessed the horrific shooting of Walter Scott on April 4, 2015.

    “As I was walking to work, I saw a scuffle ensue between two men (who have since been identified as Officer Michael Slager and Walter Scott) in a grassy, open area. After observing the two men struggle on the ground and hearing the sound of a Taser gun, I began filming the altercation with my cell phone. The video shows Officer Slager draw his gun and fire eight shots at Mr. Scott as Mr. Scott attempted to run in the opposite direction. When I later learned that Mr. Scott died from the gunshot wounds inflicted by Officer Slager, I mustered up the courage to show the recording of the incident to Mr. Scott’s family. While I initially thought about erasing the video, fearing that my life would be in danger if I came forward, I soon realized I needed to take a stand against such brutality. I realized the importance of serving as a voice for Mr. Scott and the many others who no longer have one.”


    https://life.indiegogo.com/fundraisers/1220154


    Clearly you didn't do any type of thorough examine of the evidence.


    The suspect throwing it is that evidence.
    I'll ignore the rest of your attempt to berate me as that seems to be your debate pattern when you come up against someone who disagrees with you, and instead address both the eye witnesses' testimony and the slow motion CNN video which I had not seen before until now.

    Upon further review, the CNN video makes it clear there was a struggle between Mr. Scott and Officer Slager. However, I'm still not convinced that Mr. Scott had possession of Officer Slager's taser. But even if he did, the mere fact that the taser was dislodged and thrown to the ground by whomever possessed it at the time AND the fact that at no time did Mr. Scott pose a threat to society and certainly wasn't a threat to Officer Slager after the fact as he was unarmed and running away from Officer Slager, convinces me that Officer Slager's actions after he had apprehended his assailant were wrong here.

    (Continued...)
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  4. #904
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    03-16-17 @ 05:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    8,972

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    (...continued...)

    In the slow motion video which you've provided, there's a portion of the TN -v- Garner opinion that reads:

    If the suspect threatens the officer with a weapon or there is probable cause to believe that he has committed a crime involving the infliction or threatening infliction of serious physical harm, deadly force may be used, if necessary, to prevent escape, and if, where feasible, some warning has been given.
    * What weapons did Mr. Scott possess? The assumption is Officer Slager's taser. But after watching the video footage including the slow motion video provided by CNN, a reasonable person should ask "How does Mr. Scott pose a threat to Officer Slager after neither himself or Officer Slager possess the taser?" Both the eye witness video and the slow motion video clearly show the taser is knocked to the ground. The taser leads are still embedded in Mr. Scott as he attempts to flee as evidenced by the fact that the taser tether are extending away from Officer Slager as Mr. Scott attempts to flee. Furthermore, the slow motion video makes clear that: 1) Officer Slager steps on the taser tether as Mr. Scott is fleeing; and, 2) the tether is being dragged on the ground as Mr. Scott is fleeing. So, even if Mr. Scott did possess Officer Slager's taser just prior to him attempting to flee the scene again, he didn't have the taser as he fled. So, where's the threat to Officer Scott after the fact? You could argue that Officer Slager didn't have an opportunity to conduct a through pat down and, as such, he didn't know if Mr. Scott had any other weapons on him. But if he did have another weapons, such as a gun or a knife, wouldn't it have made sense for Mr. Scott to use them instead of going after Officer Slager's taser? Furthermore, if Mr. Scott were truly a violent threat to Officer Slager, don't you think he would have gone after his gun and not his taser?

    * Why did Officer Slager pull Mr. Scott over? Was it because he was responding to a recent crime alert towhich Mr. Scott and/or his vehicle met the description? No. He was pulled over for a routine traffic stop. Of course, once he fled it's reasonable to assume that Officer Slager didn't know if Mr. Scott had a criminal background. But here again, by all accounts according to legal professionals, Officer Slager was wrong to pursuit Mr. Scott alone and certainly without knowing what he was getting into. Regardless, no violent crime was committed by Mr. Scott at this point as far as Officer Slager knew. So, again, where's the threat except that which is presented during the pursuit and apprehension of the suspect, i.e., the officer running into an unknown, unpredictable situation? You could argue probably cause, but again, Officer Slager was NOT responding to a criminal activity call from dispatch prior to pulling Mr. Scott over. He was conducting a routine traffic stop.

    * I've stated before that just prior to Mr. Scott attempting to flee a second time and before being shot, Officer Slager could be heard warning Mr. Scott that he'd shot him if he ran again. You could say this was Mr. Scott's warning per the above quote, but again where was the threat to Officer Slager after the weapon in question - the taser - was dislodged from his or Officer Slager's hand?

    No matter how you slice it, Officer Slager was wrong here. Both parties made bad decisions, but Officer Slager's judgement in the end was extremely poor.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  5. #905
    Guru
    cAPSLOCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Last Seen
    03-22-17 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,785
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    You may wish to carefully consider how much energy you expend engaging Excon.
    His posts have a formidable logic and unassailable facts which are all their own.
    The special pleading is powerful with this one.

    Yeah I'm done. Nothing I can do to stop that unstoppable force. Doesn't matter that I clearly see the unmovable object. I'll stand back and watch.

  6. #906
    Guru
    cAPSLOCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Last Seen
    03-22-17 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,785
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Also I notice the font size keeps getting bigger.

  7. #907
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-23-17 @ 06:15 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    30,588

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I'll ignore the rest of your attempt to berate me
    Berate? No.
    Condescending to your arrogance declaring you did something you obviously didn't do, all in an attempt to add more credence to your argument? Yes.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    which I had not seen before until now.
    Which is your fault for trying to engage in debate without familiarizing yourself with that which came before.
    You obviously have been doing this long enough, so you must know that opens you up to being wrong.
    And yet here you were making definite statements while claiming you gave a "careful review" when none of it was true.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    However, I'm still not convinced that Mr. Scott had possession of Officer Slager's taser.
    This is ignoring the evidence.
    Again, it could not have come from the Officer's hands.
    The movement of the taser does not allow for it to come from either of his hands, that only allows for it to have come from the suspect. Which corresponds with the Officer's claim.

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    the fact that at no time did Mr. Scott pose a threat to society and certainly wasn't a threat to Officer Slager after the fact as he was unarmed and running away from Officer Slager,
    And this is again wrong.
    The Officer was already responding to the threat the suspect was before he threw the taser and before he fled.

    And again, as previously shown, once the threat has been established the Officer can continue to respond regardless if the weapon is tossed away.

    Once the resiting and combative suspect took the taser he was such a significant threat.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  8. #908
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-23-17 @ 06:15 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    30,588

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    * What weapons did Mr. Scott possess? The assumption is Officer Slager's taser. But after watching the video footage including the slow motion video provided by CNN, a reasonable person should ask "How does Mr. Scott pose a threat to Officer Slager after neither himself or Officer Slager possess the taser?" Both the eye witness video and the slow motion video clearly show the taser is knocked to the ground.
    It is not an assumption. We have evidenced that the taser could not have been in the Officer's hands at that point in the video. We also have direct evidence from the Officer saying the suspect had the taser.

    Unless other evidence indicates otherwise, you go with the evidence you have.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    The taser leads are still embedded in Mr. Scott as he attempts to flee as evidenced by the fact that the taser tether are extending away from Officer Slager as Mr. Scott attempts to flee.
    Stop. All that can be definitively said is that the leads are wrapped around both of them. Not who specifically was shot by it or who they were embedded in.
    Then we could go even further to suggest that had the Officer had the taser at this point he surely would have been implementing it instead of reaching for his firearm.
    But that isn't what happened because he didn't have his taser, the suspect did making him a significant threat and is the reason the Officer was going for his firearm.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Furthermore, the slow motion video makes clear that: 1) Officer Slager steps on the taser tether as Mr. Scott is fleeing; and, 2) the tether is being dragged on the ground as Mr. Scott is fleeing. So, even if Mr. Scott did possess Officer Slager's taser just prior to him attempting to flee the scene again, he didn't have the taser as he fled. So, where's the threat to Officer Scott after the fact?
    And again, that does not matter.
    The Officer was already responding to the significant threat the suspect was prior to the suspect throwing the taser and fleeing.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    You could argue that Officer Slager didn't have an opportunity to conduct a through pat down and, as such, he didn't know if Mr. Scott had any other weapons on him. But if he did have another weapons, such as a gun or a knife, wouldn't it have made sense for Mr. Scott to use them instead of going after Officer Slager's taser?
    Irrelevant. He had the taser and the Officer was responding to the significant threat it made him.
    That is the evidence.
    Not anything else.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Furthermore, if Mr. Scott were truly a violent threat to Officer Slager, don't you think he would have gone after his gun and not his taser?
    How do you know he didn't?
    For all you know he did and got the taser instead.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    * I've stated before that just prior to Mr. Scott attempting to flee a second time and before being shot, Officer Slager could be heard warning Mr. Scott that he'd shot him if he ran again. You could say this was Mr. Scott's warning per the above quote, but again where was the threat to Officer Slager after the weapon in question - the taser - was dislodged from his or Officer Slager's hand?
    It was thrown by the suspect. It was impossible for it to be in the Officer's hand at that point.
    That is the only evidence we have.
    And you continue to ignore the fact that as soon as he took the taser he was a significant threat.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    No matter how you slice it, Officer Slager was wrong here.
    As your whole take here has been wrong and continued to be wrong, this take is no different. You are wrong.
    No matter how you slice it, by the evidence and the law, the Officer was not in the wrong.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #909
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,347

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    There is no need to be snide or condescending to others, and this you have been on this thread. A more civil tone just might foster more engaged and civil debate.

  10. #910
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,508

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    As your whole take here has been wrong and continued to be wrong, this take is no different. You are wrong.
    No matter how you slice it, by the evidence and the law, the Officer was not in the wrong.
    If the officer wasn't "in the wrong," then that's a FAR bigger problem than this one death. He shot an unarmed man, in the back, fleeing a routine traffic stop.

Page 91 of 110 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •