Page 90 of 110 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast
Results 891 to 900 of 1099

Thread: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

  1. #891
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,667

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    I thought Slager was already charged with murder.

    Isn't it a little late for a GJ?
    Had you been paying attention you would have see the linked article stating it was going to a GJ.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #892
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,216
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    He's already been charged.


    charged v indicted


    Anyone who thinks that this killer cop is innocent will be disappointed when his trial is over with.

  3. #893
    Sage

    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,119

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Hey, that sounds just like your babblings.


    You are the one ignoring reason and reasonability here.
    All your assumptions and false claims show just that.


    Your understanding of what the SCOTUS held is flawed.


    Again;
    We conclude that such force may not be used unless it is necessary to prevent the escape and the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.


    Had you bothered to take the time to read the case you would have read the following dicta in relevance to the holding.
    Where the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm, either to the officer or to others, it is not constitutionally unreasonable to prevent escape by using deadly force. Thus, if the suspect threatens the officer with a weapon or there is probable cause to believe that he has committed a crime involving the infliction or threatened infliction of serious physical harm, deadly force may be used if necessary to prevent escape, and if, where feasible, some warning has been given.”



    You are the one posting nonsense and not addressing what has been provided.


    Wrong. The suspect was threat at the moment the Officer started responding.
    Yet you continually ignore that.



    Look at you conveniently trying to avoid the fact that it was about him fighting, which is violence.


    Your rantings are non responsive to the information provided.
    Which just shows everybody that you have no real argument.
    You seem to be very very hard of hearing, I do not give a flying whatever about your babbling and your untruths:

    The ruling of the supreme court:

    Law enforcement officers pursuing an unarmed suspect may use deadly force to prevent escape only if the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.
    1. he did not even try to prevent escape, he just shot the man in the back
    2. the ruling of the supreme court was during the night and an offender going over a fence, in this case it was daylight, no fence hopping, other officers in the area and no real risk of the suspect getting away
    3. there was NO probable cause to suspect that the suspect posed a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officers or others
    4. the police force themselves have ruled what the officer did is against their rules and regulations
    5. it was ruled that what he did was murder and he was arrested for that
    6. he is innocent (legally seen) of his crime until he is convicted
    7. I am of the opinion (as are many other, including the police in his town, the prosecution, experts) that he is guilty of illegally gunning this man down.

    Fact is that you have no evidence to disprove that, simple, obvious from the video.

    Or as a professor (and former prosecutor) said:

    What are the factors that go into a justified police shooting? When can the police use force?

    The rules vary somewhat based on state law and local police regulations, but the floor is set by the federal Constitution, which allows police to use only "reasonable" force. The Supreme Court ruled 30 years ago that it's not reasonable for the police to use lethal force to stop a fleeing suspect unless there's probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious bodily harm to the officer or to others. And even then the officer has to give a warning first, if that's feasible.
    http://news.stanford.edu/news/2015/a...ky-041015.html

    No warning, no nothing, no danger, only one officer throwing caution and the law to the wind and shooting a suspect that is no danger at all to him.
    Last edited by Peter King; 04-12-15 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Forgot to post source of quotation
    #StayStrongAppie

  4. #894
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,667

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    You're really going out of your way to defend this police officer's actions. Not even the "enhanced/spliced" dispatch video you've presented below support your above claim that Office Slager had justification for shooting Mr. Scott.
    1. No I am not.
    2. Yes the video still supports what it originally supported, even when spliced together with other audio and video. Duh!
    The Officer was still responding prior to the taser being thrown. That has not changed, nor could it.
    But way to ignore the reason it was posted.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I've watched the original video, the dash-cam video and now the above video and from the above video, here are the relevant points:

    * Officer Slager pulls Mr. Scott over not for a broken tail light but because his center tail light wasn't working. Mr. Scott's left brake light was working, as was his left turn signal. Both casings around his vehicle's right and left tail lights are fully intact. But why does Office Slager tap Mr. Scott's left tail light if he pulled him over for a non-functioning tail light? (See dash-cam video) I know the answer to it, but do you?

    * 3:04 mark - Mr. Scott flees his car.

    * 3:21 mark - Officer Slager can be heard over his dash-cam yelling "Taser, Taser, Taser".

    * 3:43 mark - Officer Slager can be heard over his dash-cam yelling "Get on the ground, Get on the Ground".

    * 4:08 mark - Officer Slager can be heard over his dash-cam more calmly saying to Mr. Scott "On the ground".

    Note: This would indicate that Officer Slager had tased Mr. Scott by this time and the foot chase had stopped. But notice the "deescalation" at this point. Do you hear signs of a struggle? Does it sound as if Officer Slager was still in a high state of anxiety?

    Everyone should know by now that the audio from the Officers mic was cutting out. So absence of sound is expected. Duh!
    Everyone should know by now that the witness and shooter of the video actually saw the struggle on the ground, which is not a deescalation.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    * 4:46 mark - If you watch closely (because it happens very fast once Mr. Scott and Officer Slager appear in the witness' video footage), you will see Mr. Scott slap something (presumably the taser gun) out of Officer Slager's hand.
    This is you making things up to believe and ignoring the evidence.
    The Officers hands were occupied.
    The left was holding on to the suspect and the right was in a downward motion to draw his firearm in a response to the suspect having the taser.

    We can clearly see in the following capture that the Officer's right hand was reaching for his firearm.
    No taser could have been thrown from it with as much force as it had in the direction it was going.
    Nor was it knocked from it as it was preoccupied retrieving his firearm from his holster.


    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Here it can be seen that the Officer is already reaching for his firearm prior to the taser being thrown by the suspect.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  5. #895
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,667

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    A careful review of all the video footage leads me to conclude that Officer Slager's life was NOT in immediate or imminent danger throughout this entire ordeal.
    iLOL
    Your careful review was flawed as shown.
    And your use of "immediate or imminent danger" after already being corrected is asinine. That is not the standard.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    1) There's no evidence of a struggle.
    Oy vey! And you say you did a careful review. What bs!
    The struggle can be seen in the video. You clearly didn't do a careful review.
    And then we have the witness saying they were on the ground, not just in the previously provided interview but on his own funding site..
    And yet here you are saying there is no evidence. That is asinine.

    But let's continue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Look at both Mr. Scott and Officer Slager's attire in the witness video. Both person's clothing are clean. No grass, leave, dirt or any other debris can be seen on their clothing. So, unless both men took the time to brush off their clothes, I'd say this is visual proof that a physical struggle did not take place.
    Keep digging that hole deeper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    And btw, upon analysis the two can be seen to be in a scuffle on the ground prior to being upright.


    In addition, here is a link to the video highlighted and slowed down showing they are both on the ground.
    https://vid.me/B54T
    Go to that link right up there, and watch the slow mo. They were on the ground.

    Or better yet, just pay attention to what the witness has said.

    From the witness.
    The Story

    The Rutherford Law Firm, LLC, undertook to represent Feidin Santana after Feidin witnessed the horrific shooting of Walter Scott on April 4, 2015.

    “As I was walking to work, I saw a scuffle ensue between two men (who have since been identified as Officer Michael Slager and Walter Scott) in a grassy, open area. After observing the two men struggle on the ground and hearing the sound of a Taser gun, I began filming the altercation with my cell phone. The video shows Officer Slager draw his gun and fire eight shots at Mr. Scott as Mr. Scott attempted to run in the opposite direction. When I later learned that Mr. Scott died from the gunshot wounds inflicted by Officer Slager, I mustered up the courage to show the recording of the incident to Mr. Scott’s family. While I initially thought about erasing the video, fearing that my life would be in danger if I came forward, I soon realized I needed to take a stand against such brutality. I realized the importance of serving as a voice for Mr. Scott and the many others who no longer have one.”


    https://life.indiegogo.com/fundraisers/1220154


    Clearly you didn't do any type of thorough examine of the evidence.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    2) There's no visual evidence to support Officer Slager's claim that Mr. Scott grabbed or had possession of Officer Slager's taser gun.
    The suspect throwing it is that evidence.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #896
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    34,250

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Appeals to authority are nonsense.
    Especially as the underlined standard was gotten wrong. It is not an immediate threat that is required.
    You may need to study up on your fallacies. I wasn't appealing to authority, and I identified the piece as an op/ed.

  7. #897
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Watch the video.


    You are wrong. A taser is a non-lethal weapon, and after it has been fired, as the eye witness said that it was fired, it can't be fired again without a reloading process that takes some time. The taser was on the ground when Scott took off running, so clearly he was no longer any significant threat when he is unarmed and 20 ft. away. This has been stated by every expert witness I have seen interviewed on TV. They are all disturbed by what they see on the video and I have not hear one expert attempt to justify the policeman's action.
    The apologists dont need to watch it again. They can justify anything, the contortions are fascinating. Just remember, this rare bird may also show up on a jury and not be so amusing then.


    Of course, the running man had ample opportunity to 'reload' a cartridge he doesnt have for a weapon he's never used before (uh, yeah), while attempting his escape.

    And again...such a dangerous weapon! Why put it right down next to the suspect, still alive on the ground? Yeah, he'll have fun explaining why he didnt secure the weapon instead.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #898
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    [B]
    During his attempt to catch Scott, Slager fired his Taser. When that failed, Slager could have chased Scott or let him run away (worse things have happened). But instead, Slager drew his gun and shot. This is why cops see this case so differently: The criminal was the police officer. And Slager was arrested and charged with murder. That is the way the criminal justice system is supposed to work. (Slager was also fired immediately, which can happen only in states hostile to labor unions and civil-service protection.)
    Think Walter Scott
    I wrote the bold earlier. I think the cop was just too lazy to run after him and didnt want to have to restrain such a big guy on his own. But he's trained to do that and if he's afraid to take that risk (then he should quit....too late for that now tho!), then he should have let the guy go and caught him at home, since they had his car and information.

    Cop will not be able to prove the man was a threat to him or other cops or the public. And his dishonesty will be the nail in the coffin.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #899
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    Scott's actions aren't alleged. We know what he did and he gambled with his life, and he lost
    Well, one of us was sticking with what we know are factual...and it wasnt you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Because he deserved to die for a broken tail light, unpaid child support, and resisting a cop?

    What justice system exactly do you prescribe to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    Factually you are incorrect because Scott died because he ran from a police officer, fought with the police officer and allegedly tried to steal the officer's taser.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #900
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,667

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    You may need to study up on your fallacies. I wasn't appealing to authority, and I identified the piece as an op/ed.

    It is being introduced into an argument and is subject specific. It's introduction is an appeal to authority.
    Saying otherwise is lame.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Page 90 of 110 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •