Page 89 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 1099

Thread: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

  1. #881
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 12:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,172
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    Unless the grand jury does not indict
    I thought Slager was already charged with murder.

    Isn't it a little late for a GJ?
    I may be wrong.

  2. #882
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 12:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,172
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    "Santana told NBC's Lester Holt on Wednesday that he saw the two men struggling on the ground.
    "They were down on the (ground) ... before I started recording," Santana said."
    That puts the shooting "in the heat of the moment" which doesn't rise to the level of murder. It means that due to a physical fight with a violent criminal, Slager made a bad decision in the heat of the moment.
    Do you have a cite from SC code regarding the assertion you're making here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    If they charge him with murder and don't allow for the lesser charge, he'll likely be acquitted and walk
    Do you have a cite for SC code not using the lesser included charges?
    I may be wrong.

  3. #883
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    02-18-17 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Hasnt been my claim, so dont know why you are bringing it up when I just posted factual info, rather than what's been alleged. Referring back to the post of yours that I quoted, apparently you'd believe it's justice to kill someone based on their 'alleged' actions.
    Scott's actions aren't alleged. We know what he did and he gambled with his life, and he lost

  4. #884
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,964
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    Unless the grand jury does not indi
    ct


    This killer cop will be indicted and he'll be convicted.

    Wait and see.

  5. #885
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 12:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,172
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I'm actually curious about that whole thing...
    How did we get to this point where it was considered acceptable for police officers to shoot fleeing suspects if they "were considered a threat"?
    It seems...extreme.
    Yet also possibly necessary, in the right circumstances.
    Are the determining factors we instruct police officers to use too broad?
    Joaquin Ortega was arguably a grave, imminent, and continuing threat to himself and others around him.

    He had been out carjacking and attempting to drive while intoxicated--apparently he had difficulty keeping the vehicle on the road.
    Ortega was going to cause some great harm to someone else.
    A markedly different situation than that of Scott's.
    afaict anyway

    APD: Joaquin Ortega never pointed his gun at police | Albuquerque News - KOAT Home
    I may be wrong.

  6. #886
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 12:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,172
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    This killer cop will be indicted and he'll be convicted.
    Wait and see.
    He's already been charged.

    charged v indicted
    I may be wrong.

  7. #887
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    05-28-17 @ 07:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,189

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    [quote=Exon]Had you bothered to take the time to read the case you would have read the following dicta in relevance to the holding:

    [quote]Where the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm, either to the officer or to others, it is not constitutionally unreasonable to prevent escape by using deadly force. Thus, if the suspect threatens the officer with a weapon or there is probable cause to believe that he has committed a crime involving the infliction or threatened infliction of serious physical harm, deadly force may be used if necessary to prevent escape, and if, where feasible, some warning has been given.”

    You're really going out of your way to defend this police officer's actions. Not even the "enhanced/spliced" dispatch video you've presented below support your above claim that Office Slager had justification for shooting Mr. Scott.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    For those actually interested in what occurred, a blogger and member of the Conservativetreehouse posted the following video. (Credit to him and the Treehouse.)

    It combines all the videos with the dispatch audio and includes a running times tamp to ascertain the length of time between events.

    The attempted tasering of the suspect happened more than a minute before the witness started recording his video which showed the shooting.


    The suspect getting out of the car happens @ 03:04

    As originator stated.
    Combined Dispatch and Videos (Timecode starts after Scott runs and when Slager closes car door, last two videos probably out of sync but first three vids good to go)
    I've watched the original video, the dash-cam video and now the above video and from the above video, here are the relevant points:

    * Officer Slager pulls Mr. Scott over not for a broken tail light but because his center tail light wasn't working. Mr. Scott's left brake light was working, as was his left turn signal. Both casings around his vehicle's right and left tail lights are fully intact. But why does Office Slager tap Mr. Scott's left tail light if he pulled him over for a non-functioning tail light? (See dash-cam video) I know the answer to it, but do you?

    * 3:04 mark - Mr. Scott flees his car.

    * 3:21 mark - Officer Slager can be heard over his dash-cam yelling "Taser, Taser, Taser".

    * 3:43 mark - Officer Slager can be heard over his dash-cam yelling "Get on the ground, Get on the Ground".

    * 4:08 mark - Officer Slager can be heard over his dash-cam more calmly saying to Mr. Scott "On the ground".

    Note: This would indicate that Officer Slager had tased Mr. Scott by this time and the foot chase had stopped. But notice the "deescalation" at this point. Do you hear signs of a struggle? Does it sound as if Officer Slager was still in a high state of anxiety?

    * 4:46 mark - If you watch closely (because it happens very fast once Mr. Scott and Officer Slager appear in the witness' video footage), you will see Mr. Scott slap something (presumably the taser gun) out of Officer Slager's hand.

    *4:48-5:04 mark - Officer Slager fires off 8 rounds. He then radios dispatch reporting "Shots fired, subject is down" and then falsely claiming [Mr. Scott] "He grabbed my taser".

    Note: The only thing you don't hear quite clearly is Officer Slager's warning to Mr. Scott around the 4:43-45 mark. I had to turn my volumn all the way up to hear it. Officer Slager warns Mr. Scott, "If you flee I will shoot you." The question everyone should ask is why did he feel compelled to give such a warning?

    (Continued...)
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  8. #888
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    05-28-17 @ 07:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,189

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    (...continued...)

    A careful review of all the video footage leads me to conclude that Officer Slager's life was NOT in immediate or imminent danger throughout this entire ordeal.

    1) There's no evidence of a struggle. Look at both Mr. Scott and Officer Slager's attire in the witness video. Both person's clothing are clean. No grass, leave, dirt or any other debris can be seen on their clothing. So, unless both men took the time to brush off their clothes, I'd say this is visual proof that a physical struggle did not take place.

    2) There's no visual evidence to support Officer Slager's claim that Mr. Scott grabbed or had possession of Officer Slager's taser gun. All we know for sure is Officer Slager warned him that he would execute the use of his taser by yelling "Taser, Taser, Taser". We can rightly conclude that Officer Slager's taser gun was discharged by Officer Slager himself. You come to that conclusion from the fact that a taser tether line can be seen extending from Mr. Scott as he attempts to flee Officer Slager the second time prior to being shot.

    3) We do know that something fell to the ground prior to Mr. Scott feeling the area behind the pawn shop where he was gunned down. However, my firm believe is that Mr. Scott knocked the object from Officer Slager's hand, not that he threw the object down. Watch the first few seconds of footage carefully and you'll see both Mr. Scott and Officer Slager's hands go in a downward motion. If Mr. Scott threw something to the ground, it's logical to conclude that only his hands would be in such a downward motion. This also leads me to conclude that Officer Slager was still in possession and full control of his taser throughout until it was dislodged from his hands just prior to Officer Slager unhostering his weapons and firing it at Mr. Scott ultimately killing him.

    By all accounts, Officer Slager was in the wrong here. He shot an unarmed man who posed no immediate or imminent threat to himself or society.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 04-12-15 at 10:25 AM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  9. #889
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,018

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Of course, Slager shot and killed Scott.
    Dishonesty.
    You have been avoiding admitting being wrong, and now you are trying to spin what you said.
    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    then they shot him in the back and killed him.
    There was no "they" as you claim.


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    I did, and it does not apply in this case. Your suspect HAD a gun, he had fired it at people so he clearly posed a significant threat to the community, and he had it on him when he started running. He threw the gun away during the chase, did the officer see that while he was aiming at the suspect, probably not, or one could make that case. None of that applies in the case of Mr. Scott. He was not armed, he had not been a threat to the community, and he was not a threat to Slager. Totally different ball of wax.
    Wrong. This is you not paying attention to what was provided.
    The Officer knew he thew it.
    Once he threw it he was no longer a threat according to you as he did not have a weapon.
    Yet the Officer continued to fire and was cleared of wrong doing.
    This would be the same here. An Officer firing on a unarmed fleeing suspect.


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    But he ceased to be a significant threat when he dropped the taser.
    See. There you go and doing it again.
    Wrong. As in the above, he doesn't cease being a significant threat.

    As already posted.
    Again;
    We conclude that such force may not be used unless it is necessary to prevent the escape and the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.


    Had you bothered to take the time to read the case you would have read the following dicta in relevance to the holding.
    Where the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm, either to the officer or to others, it is not constitutionally unreasonable to prevent escape by using deadly force. Thus, if the suspect threatens the officer with a weapon or there is probable cause to believe that he has committed a crime involving the infliction or threatened infliction of serious physical harm, deadly force may be used if necessary to prevent escape, and if, where feasible, some warning has been given.”



    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    If the taser can be reloaded in hardly any time, then Slager should have reloaded it and run down Scott.
    This is you ignoring the events.
    The suspect was resisting.
    He was combative.
    They were on the ground together.
    The video shows they both had taser leads on their bodies.
    He secondary cartridge can be seen to be missing from the handle when it was present at the stop.


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Scott was 50 and not fast.
    Irrelevant. As soon as he took the taser he was a significant threat.


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Prongs are useless 20 ft. away, even if Scott had the taser,
    Irrelevant. As soon as he took the taser he was a significant threat.


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    which he did not.
    Which he did take.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  10. #890
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,018

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Slager immediately went back and picked up the taser so he knew where it was, and it was not with Scott when Slager shot Scott.
    This is you again ignoring the evidence. The taser was thrown there by the suspect.



    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    What a wrong and lame argument, as all the experts have stated.
    Yes your argument is wrong as it is lame.


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Scott never fired anything at anyone, he dropped the taser and ran away.
    You do not know what he did when he took the taser or how long he had it.


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    In the Zimmerman case there was no video to review.

    There was evidence to review. Like then, and now here, they did not give it a thorough review and only responded emotionally. Just like you pointed out. "Disgusted."

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    But now we have a video and authoritative experts can give a much more sound analysis and yes, I do give them much more credence than I give you, since they state their experience and qualifications and you don't.
    Irrelevant.
    They haven't given it a thorough review. We can see that by the false claims they make regarding the incident.
    And even more irrelevant because it is a logical fallacy as an appeal to authority.


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    So, this is different than the video you posted, as you believe some type of manslaughter is warranted.
    This is you again not paying attention.
    As I said.
    "While Geraldo Rivera has a JD, he really isn't an expert,"


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Firing Slager was more than appearances, it was based on an evaluation of the video evidence available and a judgement about the incorrectness of Slager's action. You don't fire a man who is clearly in the right just to appease the community. Your opinion is so incomplete that it is wrong.
    No, it was for appearances. Basically a gutless damage control measure designed to placate the Black community.


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    No, the suspect was never a significant threat.
    As soon as he took the taser he was.


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    To state that there is a difference between murder and manslaughter is a fact. For you to think that you need to tell me that is an assumption that I don't know the difference, and there you are wrong.
    Oy vey. No.
    That is your assumption. You are assuming the reason I stated the fact.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Page 89 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •