Page 87 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 870 of 1099

Thread: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

  1. #861
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,018

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I guess we'll just have to see what the grand jury decides. I think Slager will be indicted.
    Saying he shouldn't be, and saying he wont, are two different things.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #862
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,029

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    I said neither.

  3. #863
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,018

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I said neither.
    Did I say you did?
    Did you say I said you did?

    Let me answer those for you. No!

    I am glad we were able to clear that up for each other.
    Last edited by Excon; 04-12-15 at 06:52 AM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  4. #864
    Professor
    finebead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 05:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,476

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Who is this this "they" you speak of?
    Watch the video.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon
    Wrong.
    He was a significant threat the moment he took the Officer's taser.
    You are wrong. A taser is a non-lethal weapon, and after it has been fired, as the eye witness said that it was fired, it can't be fired again without a reloading process that takes some time. The taser was on the ground when Scott took off running, so clearly he was no longer any significant threat when he is unarmed and 20 ft. away. This has been stated by every expert witness I have seen interviewed on TV. They are all disturbed by what they see on the video and I have not hear one expert attempt to justify the policeman's action.


    Quote Originally Posted by Excon
    For your perusal.
    Here we have a video of an Officer shooting at a fleeing suspect four more times after the suspect threw the gun he had. And the Officer knew he threw it.
    He was still considered a threat.
    That is what the law allows.
    Every case has to be judged on its own merits. Why has the police dept. already fired Slager? Because Scott did not pose a significant danger to anyone when Slager shot him.



    Quote Originally Posted by Excon
    Those two things are not the same.
    I know, that is why there are two different words to describe the legal act, so each can have its own definition. Did I ever say they were the same? No. Looks like a bad assumption on your part.

  5. #865
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,029

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    I do think that his department having already fired him is significant.

  6. #866
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,029

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    "Think Walter Scott’s death is ‘another Ferguson’? Cops don’t."

    * The author of this op/ed piece is Peter Moskos, a former police officer and an associate professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice.

    Without the North Charleston video, most cops would have similarly given Slager the benefit of the doubt. When things go wrong, they go wrong quickly. Sure, it’s easy to imagine many ways in which a situation could have been handled differently and better. That’s the luxury of hindsight. Cops need the benefit of the doubt to do their job. But it wasn’t so much that Scott was unarmed — unarmed people can kill, too — it was that Scott was running away.

    ...In 1985, the Supreme Court ruled that police may not shoot at unarmed fleeing suspects, even felons. In line with that decision, shooting without an immediate threat is against the law in every state, and it’s against department policy in every jurisdiction. It’s also an obvious violation of the most basic human right to life. Any innocent death is a tragedy, but it’s worse at the hands of police. It’s not too much to ask our civil servants not to murder us.

    During his attempt to catch Scott, Slager fired his Taser. When that failed, Slager could have chased Scott or let him run away (worse things have happened). But instead, Slager drew his gun and shot. This is why cops see this case so differently: The criminal was the police officer. And Slager was arrested and charged with murder. That is the way the criminal justice system is supposed to work. (Slager was also fired immediately, which can happen only in states hostile to labor unions and civil-service protection.)
    Think Walter Scott

  7. #867
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,099

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I do think that his department having already fired him is significant.
    His own sheriff has admitted the policeman lied.

    [QUOTE]Charleston County Sheriff Al Cannon said he went to the demonstration Wednesday to meet with community members and keep an eye on what was a peaceful protest. His jurisdiction includes North Charleston.

    The sheriff said his department started reviewing its policies dealing with minorities after a white officer fatally shot a black man in Ferguson, Missouri. A grand jury did not bring any charges in that case.

    Cannon said he understands that heavy-handed police tactics of the past few decades have fostered mistrust of law enforcement. He thinks investigators would have seen through the officer’s lies without the video, but the video made their job easier.[/QUOTE]


    Don't really know if race played a part in this shooting but now we are seeing the racists take on the support of the officer's action. Don't be surprised if the KKK starts up a fund for the officer which will only make the situation worst.
    South Carolina officer who fatally shot man fired | KRQE News 13

  8. #868
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,018

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Watch the video.
    So you have absolutely no answer.
    There is no "they" that did anything.


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    You are wrong.
    No I am not. And the following replies tell you why.

    Also, did you not see the video I provided? The Officer was shooting at a fleeing suspect who already discarded his weapon.
    According to you, that means he was no longer a threat, yet he was cleared of any wrong doing.
    His being a significant threat didn't change simply because he discarded his weapon.


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    A taser is a non-lethal weapon,
    Never said it wasn't.

    Yet it is still a weapon that can cause "serious physical injury" and incapacitate the Officer, which would enabling the suspect to take the Officers firearm. That makes him a significant threat as soon as he took it.


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    and after it has been fired, as the eye witness said that it was fired, it can't be fired again without a reloading process that takes some time.
    Two things.
    1. You are wrong. It takes hardly anytime to reload another cartridge. And as we can tell from the available videos, he used/or lost his secondary cartridge in the fray.
    2. You are wrong. The taser does not need to be reloaded to be used. It has it's prongs. I provided an image of it earlier. Look at it.


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    The taser was on the ground when Scott took off running, so clearly he was no longer any significant threat when he is unarmed and 20 ft. away.
    Wrong and a lame argument in light of what has already been provided and said.

    The Officer was already in the process of responding to the threat prior to the threat leaving and prior to the threat throwing the weapon.


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    This has been stated by every expert witness I have seen interviewed on TV. They are all disturbed by what they see on the video and I have not hear one expert attempt to justify the policeman's action.
    iLOL

    Your appeal to authority is noted and dismissed for the logical fallacy it is.
    And your appeal to authority is even more funny when you consider how many of the so-called authority's were wrong in the Zimmerman case.

    Just like the Zimmerman case, none of the so-called experts have reviewed the evidence closely enough to render any meaningful opinion.
    All you really see from these is what you noted, emotive responses. Not logical ones.


    While Geraldo Rivera has a JD, he really isn't an expert, but he at least he gave the Officer the benefit of the doubt without a careful examination of the video and realized that the Officer was already responding to the threat. He was as sure as I am that murder is inappropriate and believed some type of manslaughter was warranted.


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Why has the police dept. already fired Slager?
    Appearances. It sure nipped the BGI in the bud. No massive local protestors, looting, damages, disruptions and all cost associated with them.


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Because Scott did not pose a significant danger to anyone when Slager shot him.
    Because? No.
    The suspect was a significant threat at the moment the Officer was responding.


    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Did I ever say they were the same? No. Looks like a bad assumption on your part.
    iLOL D'oh!
    That was a statement of fact, not an assumption.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #869
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,018

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    "Think Walter Scott’s death is ‘another Ferguson’? Cops don’t."

    * The author of this op/ed piece is Peter Moskos, a former police officer and an associate professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice.

    Without the North Charleston video, most cops would have similarly given Slager the benefit of the doubt. When things go wrong, they go wrong quickly. Sure, it’s easy to imagine many ways in which a situation could have been handled differently and better. That’s the luxury of hindsight. Cops need the benefit of the doubt to do their job. But it wasn’t so much that Scott was unarmed — unarmed people can kill, too — it was that Scott was running away.

    ...In 1985, the Supreme Court ruled that police may not shoot at unarmed fleeing suspects, even felons. In line with that decision, shooting without an immediate threat is against the law in every state, and it’s against department policy in every jurisdiction. It’s also an obvious violation of the most basic human right to life. Any innocent death is a tragedy, but it’s worse at the hands of police. It’s not too much to ask our civil servants not to murder us.

    During his attempt to catch Scott, Slager fired his Taser. When that failed, Slager could have chased Scott or let him run away (worse things have happened). But instead, Slager drew his gun and shot. This is why cops see this case so differently: The criminal was the police officer. And Slager was arrested and charged with murder. That is the way the criminal justice system is supposed to work. (Slager was also fired immediately, which can happen only in states hostile to labor unions and civil-service protection.)
    Think Walter Scott
    Appeals to authority are nonsense.
    Especially as the underlined standard was gotten wrong. It is not an immediate threat that is required.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  10. #870
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,018

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    His own sheriff has admitted the policeman lied.

    Charleston County Sheriff Al Cannon said he went to the demonstration Wednesday to meet with community members and keep an eye on what was a peaceful protest. His jurisdiction includes North Charleston.

    The sheriff said his department started reviewing its policies dealing with minorities after a white officer fatally shot a black man in Ferguson, Missouri. A grand jury did not bring any charges in that case.

    Cannon said he understands that heavy-handed police tactics of the past few decades have fostered mistrust of law enforcement. He thinks investigators would have seen through the officer’s lies without the video, but the video made their job easier.

    Don't really know if race played a part in this shooting but now we are seeing the racists take on the support of the officer's action. Don't be surprised if the KKK starts up a fund for the officer which will only make the situation worst.
    South Carolina officer who fatally shot man fired | KRQE News 13

    Oy vey!
    What lies?
    These claims keep getting made, yet no one has been able to point to any.


    What lies?
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Page 87 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •