Page 75 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 1099

Thread: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

  1. #741
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    02-18-17 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    He is a police officer, his training means he does not have the excuse of heat of the moment murder nor does 8 shots towards a suspect twenty feet or so away count as heat of the moment.

    He murdered this man, pure and simple and then tried to cover it up by moving the taser, that is malice aforethought IMHO.
    There's no such thing. Sorry

  2. #742
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,667

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Excon is obviously running away from the facts... I wonder why that is?
    How is a person actively engaged in the topic running away?
    How is a person who clearly stated they would return later because they had something else to attend to, running away?
    Your comment is indicative of convoluted thoughts.
    The only thing running here are your absurd spewings.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Some people have a "special" way of looking at things...
    Speaking of yourself and failing to focus on the topic.
    Figures, especially as you can not refute what has been presented.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Less a gun nut and more of a "cops never do anything bad" nut...
    Still unable to actually refute the provided information. Figures.


    Btw, you should really learn not to bear false witness against others.





    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    And, of course, Excon saying, "nuh-uh. nuh-uh. nuh-uh."
    Oh look another who has nothing so addresses the poster instead of the topic. Sad.





    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    That is pathetically wrong, as usual.
    You just can't help being wrong, can you?


    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    He's got nothing except his rancidly slanted wrongness.
    Coming from the guy was already proven wrong, that is as hilarious as you are wrong.
    But thanks for showing everybody you can not refute what has been provided.





    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    What are you referring to?
    To you being wrong.
    Kelly Thomas was not beaten to death.
    It was the combined weight of the Officers needed to subdue him that compressed his chest causing an inability to breath.
    No impact injury sustained contributed to his not being able to breath.
    As this was already shown in the relevant topics, I am certainly not going to entertain your nonsense here as it is off topic, and as such deserves nothing but dismissal with the already known relevant facts.
    But since you obviously can not catch the drift, I am suggesting that you either continue this conversation in a relevant topic or start a new one.
    This isn't the thread for it.
    Capiche?
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #743
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,667

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    There was no imminent, lethal threat to the cop when he shot the guy and the video shows this clearly.
    That is not the requirement.
    It is "probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others". The resisting and combative suspect taking the Officers taser satisfies that requirement.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    And even if he'd had a functional taser.....it wouldnt work from that distance. The cop was in no danger.
    The taser still had it's prongs.
    The moment the resisting and combative suspect took the taser he was a significant threat, which is when the Officer started to respond.
    This is what you and others are ignoring.





    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post


    I thought he claimed he never saw anyone perform CPR. The image above ain't how you perform CPR.
    Your error is in focusing on the language and not on what they are speaking about.
    They are insinuating that no assistance was provided as stated in the incident report.




    The image you quoted is what that witness captured on his own video showing that assistance as described in the incident report was being provided. Unless you think they are engaged in some sort of secret police cult ritual over a dead body and all.





    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    There absolutely was no imminent threat to the cop.
    "Immanent threat" is not the standard.

    "probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others."

    The resisting and combative suspect taking the taser made him a significant threat.
    At the moment the Officer began responding, he was that threat.
    Why is that so hard to admit?
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  4. #744
    Sage

    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,119

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    There's no such thing. Sorry
    I beg to differ, now the officer who was struggling with that kid in Ferguson was a candidate to use excuse of the moment and trying to save my life for shooting and killing the man who was attacking him, this guy does not have that excuse. He did not act out of the heat of the moment. He saw the suspect running, he drew his gun, the suspect was a considerable distance from him and no danger to him or anybody else and then he executed him with 8 shots to the back.

    That is murder/homicide.

    Then he picked up the taser and tried to stage the scene of the crime he had just committed to make it look like it was a good shoot, when everybody seeing that video knows that is a bogus claim. There was no taser in play when he shot the man, the officer picked it up, threw it at the body of the dying suspect (taking no effort to save his life) and then in the end picked it up off the floor (or at least that is what it looks like).

    Murder with special circumstances because the officer tampered with the evidence and tried to make the man into someone who was attacking him instead of what really happened.
    #StayStrongAppie

  5. #745
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,667

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    I am not going to rehash the truth and reality for you time and time again.
    You have to hash it first to rehash it, which you definitely have not done.
    All you have done is make things up, and assume.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    To legally be allowed to shoot a fleeing suspect the officer has to have a reasonable suspicion that he poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others,
    It is not reasonable suspicion. It is probable cause to believe. Different standards.

    And again. The suspect taking the taser satisfies the requirement. You haven't been able to refute that, nor could you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    until the end of this officers trial,
    Trial?
    It hasn't even gotten past the Grand Jury point yet.

    South Carolina shooting case will head to a grand jury
    South Carolina shooting case will head to a grand jury - LA Times


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    the fact that at the time this officer executed
    That is not a fact. This is you making things up.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    (according to republican presidential candidate Ben Carson)
    Irrelevant. And just shows how weak your arguments are.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    the fleeing victim was NOT a threat of any kind to the officer and thus his actions where illegal.
    Wrong.
    His taking the taser made him a significant threat.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    but most people with eyes in their heads and a modicum of common sense realize that what this officer did was illegal.
    Wrong.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    This is a classic example of police brutality
    Responding appropriately to a threat is not brutality.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    The officer did not fire a warning shot
    This absurd comment just shows that you are not even qualified to be speaking on this subject.
    You do not fire warning shots.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    that you want to ignore the reality and legal position that allows officers to shoot is not my problem.
    As you are the one ignoring reality, it is your problem, not mine.
    The moment the suspect took the taser he became a significant threat.
    You can not refute that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    There is no defense for the indefensible and this shooting is indefensible.
    In this case your statement is wrong.
    The suspect was a significant threat as soon as he took the taser. As such, the Officers response is defensible.
    You still haven't been able to refute that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    I would assume
    Yay! Finally, admittance you are assuming.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Watch the above video and please tell us what Slager is seen picking up from the ground besides the killed Walter Scott and put back in his belt? It's not his handcuffs because they are still on the dying/dead man. It isn't his gun because that is situated on the other side of the officers belt. I would assume/am almost certain of it that this is the taser that originally was laying far away from where the body is dying on the ground. Because when the shooting starts the taser was on the ground at the officers feet.
    No it wasn't at his feet.
    And again.
    The Officer is drawing his firearm while the suspect has the taser.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    You are wrong in your comments, this was the officer perverting the course of justice, interfering with the evidence, staging the scene and trying to get away with murder.
    No, you are wrong and your comments are nonsense as shown.
    You still have failed to refute the actual evidence.
    The suspect was a significant threat as soon as he took the taser. It is that threat to which the Officer was responding. Saying otherwise is ludicrous.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    manslaughter should be what the officer is convicted of.
    If you think that why have you been arguing murder and execution? Do you not know they are not the same things as manslaughter?
    Or did you change your mind? If not, why the heck have you been arguing with me? Did you not see what I said in my second post?


    That black thing was likely the tazer that the guy took as reported by the Officer.

    At the moment of the shooting it doesn't appear as the Officer knew he threw it down.
    If so, this would indicate that the Officer (in his mind) was responding to an actual threat.

    That information and whether he moved the tazer after the fact and why, may be the difference between manslaughter or involuntary manslaughter and that of a murder conviction.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #746
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,667

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    OK, the Buzzfeed link shows Slager was trained in the X26 which is not the multiple use X3.. which brings back my question - at what point does either Slager or Scott reload this taser to make it a threat to Slager?

    Again, the reports state one of the cables was still attached to Scott's body. How would the charge be administered without reloading or a new set of charges? When did this reloading of his X26 happen?

    See your own Buzzfeed and search for X3 training. The guy used an X26, cables still attached to the body and it hadn't been reloaded.

    See above. Slager's record is of use of an X26 which needs reloading after each discharge.
    All the above shows you not paying attention to what you yourself quoted.

    Again; "... the X26 once discharged can use the prongs to tase again."
    Did you not understand that?
    Did you not see the image provided of the X26?

    The suspect taking the X26 made him a significant threat.


    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    The video disproves much claimed in the initial report -
    iLOL No, it doesn't disprove any thing.
    Since you think it does here is your chance. Prove it.
    Please provide each item you think it disproves so I can dispel these false beliefs.


    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    I see it in the incident reports but I don't see "assistance" provided until the second video starts on the New York Times copy. Even that doesn't look like the CPR mentioned.

    OK, that's a different interview from the one I previously saw. I don't see CPR - certainly not the kind I had to learn for first aid training or when I was in the army. It must be done differently in America?
    Your sarcasm is unwarranted.
    You are quibbling over the specific wording while ignoring what is being spoken about.
    It is being insinuated that the Police lied about the assistance they provided.

    From his interview.
    Witness Who Filmed Police Shooting Says Victim Walter Scott Didn't Fight for Taser Video - ABC News
    @ 02:18
    Q: At any point did you see anyone attempting to resuscitate him, save his life?

    A: (much is garbled) like I said, the only thing I saw after the scene, there was a cop who, the back up cop, um, he put his glove, he lift down on the shirt of the victim he decided no looking at the um, at wound of the, of the bullet and (garbled) pulse of the victim
    after that no I stay there for a little bit, not a long, maybe for a few minutes.

    Q: So you didn't see anyone perform CPR?
    A: I didn't see any CPR.

    Q: Try breathing into his mouth?
    A: No, no.

    Q: Compress his chest?
    A: Nothing.

    Q: Try to revive him?
    A: Nothing like that.


    What he is speaking about in the interview came prior to what the image from his own video later shows.
    This is what he was speaking about.

    But for some reason he conveniently leaves out the actual assistance later being provided that his own video shows.


    While he may not have been there when they were actually performing CPR, when he says they did "nothing" he is not being truthful, as the image shows they were involved in assistance. Such assistance is an effort to save his life, which is what he was asked.
    While possible, it is unlikely that he didn't understand the totality of what he was being asked.

    And the fact that he said the suspect definitely did not grab the taser when we can see he had, just further makes what he says suspect.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  7. #747
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,667

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    So, if Mr. Scott "took" Officer Slager's taser but never used it against him AND given the fact that the taser never discharged (assuming it malfunctioned), how is it that Officer Slager's life was in danger?
    The deadly force standard:
    U.S. Supreme Court
    Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1 (1985)


    We conclude that such force may not be used unless it is necessary to prevent the escape and the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.


    https://supreme.justia.com/cases/fed...71/1/case.html

    The suspect taking the taser made him a significant threat.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Wouldn't it had made sense for Officer Slager to subdue Mr. Scott at this point, i.e., put him in cuffs?
    Wtf?
    Put him in cuffs?
    Oy vey!
    The suspect was resisting and combative.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    That's certainly how it looks on the video.
    No, that is how you and others have chosen to view it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    That's certainly how it looks on the video. If it was the victim's wallet or some other personal possession, do you think Officer Slager would have gone back to retrieve it? And even if he did, why would he pick it up after dropping it next to the victim's body? In fact, why would the officer pick up anything from the crime scene except his weapon? And in so doing, why would he drop it next to the victim's body and then subsequently pick it back up later? There's only one reason a cop would do something like that: To plant evidence. But I think Officer Slager was either talked out of going through with it once the other cop came on the scene OR he realized he was being filmed and quickly changed his mind. Either way, he tampered with evidence on the scene and that alone hurts his credibility as to what actually happened.

    Your assumptions are the manifestations of your own imagination.

    Just like he called to have his car secured, Officers secure their weapons after such incidents.
    That is not tampering.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    No, but Officer Slager clearly attempted to plant evidence initially. That much is undeniable.
    Wrong. That is nothing more than your own imagination working without proper context.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    WRONG, 110% incorrect!!!
    Yes you are wrong.
    A taser is a weapon.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Officer Slager had the opportunity to secure his service weapon immediately after firing 8 rounds at Mr. Scott, but he didn't. He fires the shots starting at the :20 mark, radios "Shots fired" around the :29 second mark and can still be seen carrying his gun in his right hand as he does so. The video gets shaky from this point until around the :56 second mark where Officer Slager is clearly seen cuffing Mr. Scott and looking over his body. Therefore, it can be assumed that Officer Slager holstered his weapon sometime between the :29 and :56 mark - a full 37 seconds after firing his weapon.

    At the 1:00 mark, Officer Slager returns to the spot where shots were fired and retrieves the object that fell to the ground. (Or rather, the item that Mr. Scott knocked out of his hand; it wasn't something that was purposely dropped.) At the 1:22 mark, Officer Slager can be seen holding the item in his right hand while once again talking in his shoulder radio with his left hand. At the 1:33 mark, it's clear that Officer Slager drops the item next to Mr. Scott's body. What was it? By all accounts, it was the taser gun. So, if Mr. Scott "had" Officer Slager's taser, why did he have to go "retrieve" it? The only way Officer Slager's life would have been in danger is if Mr. Scott had Officer Slager's taser gun in his possession AND was attempting to use it against him at the time the shots were fired. None of that appears to have been the case in this situation.
    Wut? Did you not understand what was being spoken about?
    We are talking about his taser. It is a weapon. He secured it after the incident just as he would his firearm. This would be procedure.


    As for the rest of this nonsense. Clearly you haven't been paying attention.

    The suspect threw the taser after the Officer started responding to his taking it.

    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  8. #748
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,667

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    PLUS adds in all his lies,
    What lies?
    You really should stop making things up, because that is actually lying.


    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    He was 20 feet away when the cop started shooting. 8 times. IMO that's not heat of the moment.
    The Officer was already drawing his firearm prior to the suspect throwing the taser.
    This all took place in a matter of seconds. That is in the heat of the moment.


    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    And again, then he calmly planted evidence.
    No. That is your assumption.


    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    And then he lied about applying CPR too.
    More made up nonsense that was already dispelled.
    No he did not lie.
    No he did not claim he gave CPR.
    Read the Incident report that was previously linked.

    Never mind. I have come to discover that those who rush to judgement and make things up usually are bereft of research skills and prefer pictures.

    By Sgt. James Gann





    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    With the new information coming out
    It isn't new information.
    It was readily available and folks were either not thorough enough, or just chose to ignore it in their rush to judgement.

    As previously provided.


    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    And btw, upon analysis the two can be seen to be in a scuffle on the ground prior to being upright.

    The guy was resisting arrest on his warrant, was combative, and took the Officers taser.


    In addition, here is a link to the video highlighted and slowed down showing they are both on the ground.
    https://vid.me/B54T





    Quote Originally Posted by cAPSLOCK View Post
    The second officer to arrive is not an accomplice.
    While I agree with you, the BGI does not.

    National Bar Association wants second officer in Walter Scott shooting video fired, arrested
    National Bar Association wants second officer in Walter Scott shooting video fired, arrested - Post and Courier

    In case you do not know, the NBA is basically the black laweyers association.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #749
    Sage

    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,119

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    The resisting and combative suspect taking the taser made him a significant threat.
    At the moment the Officer began responding, he was that threat.
    Why is that so hard to admit?
    Because what you are saying is totally untrue.

    He was not taking the taser from him, there is zero evidence to support that, the taser lines look like they are inside the clothes of the victim so the officer had the taser and shot at him, at that moment (after deployment) the taser is no longer useful to shoot someone with it. Also it was on the floor before the suspect started running and 20 feet away, hands by his side, running away from the officer, that person is not a significant threat.

    And then we are not even talking about the taser that seems to have mysteriously moved to the side of the victim after he was gunned down.
    #StayStrongAppie

  10. #750
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    02-18-17 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    I beg to differ, now the officer who was struggling with that kid in Ferguson was a candidate to use excuse of the moment and trying to save my life for shooting and killing the man who was attacking him, this guy does not have that excuse. He did not act out of the heat of the moment. He saw the suspect running, he drew his gun, the suspect was a considerable distance from him and no danger to him or anybody else and then he executed him with 8 shots to the back.

    That is murder/homicide.
    It's homicide, but more likely manslaughter than murder. And you're confusing imminent threat with heat of the moment. A jury likely will have better understanding of the difference

    Then he picked up the taser and tried to stage the scene of the crime he had just committed to make it look like it was a good shoot, when everybody seeing that video knows that is a bogus claim. There was no taser in play when he shot the man, the officer picked it up, threw it at the body of the dying suspect (taking no effort to save his life) and then in the end picked it up off the floor (or at least that is what it looks like).

    Murder with special circumstances because the officer tampered with the evidence and tried to make the man into someone who was attacking him instead of what really happened.
    That hasn't been determined. What he picked up and why will come out later

Page 75 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •