Page 67 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 670 of 1099

Thread: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

  1. #661
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Here's one for thought. The police officer does not appear to be angry at all. You would almost expect him to be so mad he would be swearing at the guy. Wouldn't surpize me if his attorneys demand a mental evaluation. His demeanor almost reminds me of robcop.
    Agreed. Cops are trained to be cool in stress situations but it's not as easy to do.

    But his deliberateness (Is that a word? lol) and lack of emotion will hurt him big time in court.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #662
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    They are "more likely" to kill a bystander. That is your argument? Never mind that the risk will be greater with a perfect shot? That an fmj will go through more and create more bystanders? Even on the other side of a wall? Seriously?

    The only logical round is HP. It stops. Maybe not fast, but faster than an fmj.

    And that is paramount to me if I am being attacked.

    The point is to STOP....why use something that may take longer to do so and put you (and others) at greater risk?
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #663
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Of course there is the cop script about what to write in the police report so you can get away with murder. I was in fear for my life.

    The second thing I notice about these police shootings is that they shoot way too many rounds. It seems to part of the police "script" that if you have to shoot someone, be sure he's DEAD so there is only ONE version of what happened before the grand jury. Dead men can't testify against you.

    In this case, the victim was never a threat, but he certainly didn't need to be fired at 8 times. How many police shooting victims survive the shooting?

    It's despicable.
    I dont know that he was hit 8 times...has that been released tho?

    And cops and civilians are taught to shoot until the threat stops. While this guy wasnt a threat to begin with, in general you are trained to shoot until the attack or the attacker stops. I dont think the cop shot the guy once he was on the ground (didnt notice that but would have to see if I can tell from the video).
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #664
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by csbrown28 View Post
    No my argument is that 66% of HP's miss their target, which means that bystanders that are hit are injured more grievously then they would have if hit with FMJ.
    What percent of FMJs miss? Are you claiming that the type of bullet affects accuracy? And how much is the secondary damage to bystanders by fragmented bullets?
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #665
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by csbrown28 View Post
    No my argument is that 66% of HP's miss their target, which means that bystanders that are hit are injured more grievously then they would have if hit with FMJ.

    Look, this isn't a point I really want to stand on. It might be the case that it's the difference between getting hit by a car and a bus, but my understanding is that FMJ's cause less damage than do HP's and with 66% or more (LA county police miss 73% of their shots fired). Add to that the undocumented numbers of people shot on purpose who were innocent, I'm saying it's worth having a conversation about how badly we want the bullets we use to harm the people we shoot. Again, not that I disagree with you about the millitary, but the fact is, we use FMJ's in war because the don't cause the same kind of damage that HP's do, but we use them on our own people in situations where the police often don't have enough information to make decisions.

    The government doesn't keep handy statistics about the number of peoples who's homes are raided by mistake, the number of people that are shot by bullets that miss their targets, the number of people shot because they looked like someone else......But here is a site of alleged accidental incedents that often involve shootings.

    https://the7thpwr.wordpress.com/acci...ice-shootings/
    Military probably uses FMJs because they're cheaper.

    No idea if that's true but it wouldnt surprise me.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #666
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 01:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    73,514

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by ARTHUR 1976 View Post
    I hope he's convicted of murder, and im sure his family will file a civil suit so they will get his house, not to mention he will probably go broke with legal fees, this POS COPS life is pretty much ruined!!..
    If he has a wife and kids, they won't.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #667
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,189

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    The witness made a very peculiar statement that would not have been made had the suspect not had the taser.

    I remember the police [officer] had control of the situation,” he said. “He had control of Scott. And Scott was trying just to get away from the Taser.
    But like I said, he never used the Taser against the cop.”

    Man who filmed S.C. police shooting: Maybe God ‘put me there for some reason’ - The Washington Post

    That is an indication that he had the taser but didn't use it.
    And the Officer never said he did used it either. Only that he took it.
    So, if Mr. Scott "took" Officer Slager's taser but never used it against him AND given the fact that the taser never discharged (assuming it malfunctioned), how is it that Officer Slager's life was in danger? Wouldn't it had made sense for Officer Slager to subdue Mr. Scott at this point, i.e., put him in cuffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    You are speaking nonsense.
    Yes his statement is evidence and no it is not a blatant lie. That is a ridiculously false claim.

    And what do you think he did with this taser?
    Are you assuming like everyone else that he picked it up and then dropped it by the suspect to set the suspect up?
    That's certainly how it looks on the video. If it was the victim's wallet or some other personal possession, do you think Officer Slager would have gone back to retrieve it? And even if he did, why would he pick it up after dropping it next to the victim's body? In fact, why would the officer pick up anything from the crime scene except his weapon? And in so doing, why would he drop it next to the victim's body and then subsequently pick it back up later? There's only one reason a cop would do something like that: To plant evidence. But I think Officer Slager was either talked out of going through with it once the other cop came on the scene OR he realized he was being filmed and quickly changed his mind. Either way, he tampered with evidence on the scene and that alone hurts his credibility as to what actually happened.

    If that is the case, then why can he be seen picking it up again and placing it in his utility belt? Obviously it wouldn't be to plant anything. Duh!
    No, but Officer Slager clearly attempted to plant evidence initially. That much is undeniable.

    If you knew procedure, he was securing his weapon just as he called to have is car secured.
    WRONG, 110% incorrect!!!

    Officer Slager had the opportunity to secure his service weapon immediately after firing 8 rounds at Mr. Scott, but he didn't. He fires the shots starting at the :20 mark, radios "Shots fired" around the :29 second mark and can still be seen carrying his gun in his right hand as he does so. The video gets shaky from this point until around the :56 second mark where Officer Slager is clearly seen cuffing Mr. Scott and looking over his body. Therefore, it can be assumed that Officer Slager holstered his weapon sometime between the :29 and :56 mark - a full 37 seconds after firing his weapon.

    At the 1:00 mark, Officer Slager returns to the spot where shots were fired and retrieves the object that fell to the ground. (Or rather, the item that Mr. Scott knocked out of his hand; it wasn't something that was purposely dropped.) At the 1:22 mark, Officer Slager can be seen holding the item in his right hand while once again talking in his shoulder radio with his left hand. At the 1:33 mark, it's clear that Officer Slager drops the item next to Mr. Scott's body. What was it? By all accounts, it was the taser gun. So, if Mr. Scott "had" Officer Slager's taser, why did he have to go "retrieve" it? The only way Officer Slager's life would have been in danger is if Mr. Scott had Officer Slager's taser gun in his possession AND was attempting to use it against him at the time the shots were fired. None of that appears to have been the case in this situation.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  8. #668
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,988

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I can keep going if you want, but I think you are going to dismiss anything that doesn't fit your left agendad world view.


    read the "analysis"

    PolitiFact.com - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    "University of Minnesota political science professor Eric Ostermeier did an analysis of 511 selected PolitiFact stories issued from January 2010 through January 2011. He said "PolitiFact has generally devoted an equal amount of time analyzing Republicans (191 statements, 50.4 percent) as they have Democrats (179 stories, 47.2 percent)..." Republican officeholders were considered by Politifact to have made substantially more "false" or "pants on fire" statements than their Democratic counterparts. Of 98 statements PolitiFact judged "false" or "pants on fire" from partisan political figures, 74 came from Republicans (76 percent) compared to 22 from Democrats (22 percent) during the selected period reviewed. Ostermeier concluded "By levying 23 Pants on Fire ratings to Republicans over the past year compared to just 4 to Democrats, it appears the sport of choice is game hunting - and the game is elephants."[24] The study was criticized by PolitiFact editor Bill Adair and the MinnPost, with Adair responding, "Eric Ostermeier's study is particularly timely because we've heard a lot of charges this week that we are biased — from liberals ... So we're accustomed to hearing strong reactions from people on both ends of the political spectrum. We are a news organization and we choose which facts to check based on news judgment.[25] A writer with the left-leaning magazine The Nation argued that findings like this are a reflection of "fact-checkers simply doing their job... Republicans today just happen to be more egregiously wrong...."[26] A writer with the right-leaning Human Events claimed that after looking at Politifact's work on a case by case basis a pattern emerged whereby Politifact critiqued straw man claims; that is, "dismissed the speaker’s claim, made up a different claim and checked that instead." The conservative magazine noted Politifact's use of language such as "[although the speaker] used [a specific] phrase... in his claim, [it] could fairly be interpreted to mean [something more general that is false]..." Human Events cited Bryan White's PolitiFactBias blog to state that "from the end of that partnership [with the Congressional Quarterly] to the end of 2011, the national PolitiFact operation has issued 119 Pants on Fire ratings for Republican or conservative claims, and only 13 for liberal or Democratic claims".[27]"



    but you probably really believe them.
    Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps the reason why Politifact issues more "pants on fire" to Republicans than Democrats is because maybe....just maybe.....Republicans tend to tell more lies?



    I'm sure that you probably wouldn't give that any consideration and would dismiss anything that doesn't fit your right-wing world view.


    Sorry....but politifact calls it and disses on left-wing as well as right-wing. You can dismiss them all you want it doesn't change the facts.

  9. #669
    Guru
    csbrown28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,022

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    NYPD is s horrid example, as their lack of accuracy has become legendary!

    I referred to over-penetration, not misses - big difference.
    Sure, and I agree, the problem is, I was referring to the misses. NYC miss rate of 66% is pretty representative of the national miss rate for all the statistics I can find.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary (or faith) depends upon his not understanding it.”

  10. #670
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    05-26-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,194

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post

    The only open racism I've ever seen from the NYPD as a matter of policy was thier "We aint hirin whites" when I went for a job. lol
    Someone was obviously yanking your chain.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

Page 67 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •