Page 54 of 110 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 1099

Thread: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

  1. #531
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,228

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    And people are wondering why Obama was elected twice?!?
    never a mystery to me.

    I just never used the words "stupid voter" until after the most honest man in the Obama administration, Gruber...

    who never worked there by the way
    "Small people talk about people, average people talk about events, great people talk about ideas" Eleanor Roosevelt

  2. #532
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 09:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina


  3. #533
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    30,601

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    There are times where someone should be arrested. I'm thinking specially interference or being close enough to pose an additional hazard for police to worry about. I can only imagine the lawsuit if a suspect harms an idiot with a camera, especially if said suspect is scuffling with an officer.
    Well not all instances of videoing is legal. You still can't interfere with the arrest. And that can be very subjectively interpreted.
    “I’ve been around for a long time and it just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats than the Republicans.” -- Donald Trump

    MEIN COVFEFE!

  4. #534
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 09:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
    I agree with you. Good move to fire him.
    He was not fired because of his actions. He was fired in an attempt by the dept. to convey a better image of itself after the video splashed all over national TV.

    The NCPD will most likely re-hire him after his acquittal.

  5. #535
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    169,476

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I stopped at the first one:


    “Michael Brown learned a lesson about a messin’
    With a badass policeman
    And he’s bad, bad Michael Brown
    Baddest thug in the whole damn town
    Badder than old King Kong
    Meaner than a junkyard dog.

    Two men took to fightin’
    And Michael punched in through the door
    And Michael looked like some old Swiss cheese
    His brain was splattered on the floor

    And he’s dead, dead Michael Brown
    Deadest man in the whole damn town
    His whole life’s long gone
    Deader than a roadkill dog.”



    how is that racist?
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  6. #536
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    21,098

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    He was not fired because of his actions. He was fired in an attempt by the dept. to convey a better image of itself after the video splashed all over national TV.

    The NCPD will most likely re-hire him after his acquittal.
    Bull**** - you have no more insight than anyone else.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  7. #537
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,270
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    "every major city in America..." has a racist police force?

    First, it is amusing how the left exaggerates every claim. It is not sufficient anymore to say "racism is still an issue in some quarters in our country" but we have to condemn the entire nation as "pretty much every major city in the country"

    That's one **** of a list, including Seattle, San Fransisco, LA, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Buffalo, the entire eastern seaboard from Boston to Miami not to mention...New York city.

    The situation is so widespread it infests them all, and yet the great Barrack Hussein Obama who has come to fix everything with his little pen and his sward has never mentioned it.

    Now that's incompetence! To have every major city police force, "pretty much" infested with racists, and not do anything?

    You know, I wonder how blacks have survived at all especially the blacks on those police forces.

    I hope the new left will impeach Obama for sweeping this wonton racism under the rug!
    Are you saying you would support the federal government taking over the nations local police forces? Even if your hyperbolic diatribe were even close to being true what would you expect the Feds to do about a municipal problem?
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  8. #538
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,327

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    After reading pretty much the entire thread (48 pages), watching the video at least 5 times, reading 3 different articles from three different sources concerning the shooting and now watching the dash-cam video of the initial routine traffic stop (see video below), I could find no concrete evidence to support claims that Officer Slager's life was in danger or any justification for Mr. Scott being shot to death. Here are the facts based on video footage (both on the scene of the shooting and during the traffic stop) and from information as reported by HuffingtonPost.com (see OP) and NYTimes.com:

    - Mr. Walter Scott was stopped by Officer Slager on a routine traffic violation - a broken taillight.

    - Mr. Scott did not have proper documentation (i.e., bill of sale, vehicle registration, proof of insurance) to prove that he had purchased the vehicle he was driving (a used Mercedes-Benz) or was in the process of purchasing the vehicle.

    - Officer Slager was in the process of verifying Mr. Scott's ID when Mr. Scott fled from his vehicle on foot.

    - During the foot chase, you can hear Officer Slager shout "Get on the ground," in the dash-cam video.

    - From the original video that captures the shooting, you initially see Mr. Scott and Officer Slager standing calmly facing each other.

    - It's barely audible, but if you listen closely around the 12-18 second mark, you can hear Officer Slager warn Mr. Scott, "If you [flee?] I will shoot you".

    - Within seconds, Mr. Scott attempts to flee the scene for the second time. If you watch closely, you'll notice the tether wire from Officer Slager's stun gun extends between Mr. Scott and Officer Slagere as Mr. Scott is fleeing. This at least confirms that Officer Slager did discharge his stun gun during the initial chase.

    - Ms. Scott tosses something on the ground prior to fleeing the second time. It's unclear if this was Officer Slager's stun gun as he alleges that Mr. Scott had taken it or if it's something else. (But let's go with it was Officer Slager's stun gun as it appears that the object Officer Slager retrieves and tosses next to Mr. Scott's body was in the shape of a "gun".)

    - Officer Slager fires 8 rounds, 3 of which reportedly hits Mr. Scott in the back(side).

    - Officer Slager neither attempts to pursue Mr. Scott as he attempts to flee the scene a second time, nor does he call for backup to inform other police in the area that he was pursuing his victim. He does, however, report that shots were fired after the fact.

    - Officer Slager goes back to spot where he and Mr. Scott initially stopped and picks up whatever was dropped. He is filmed seconds later dropping the same item next to Mr. Scott's body (which he later retrieves after a second police officer comes onto the scene).

    - Officer Slager makes no attempt to resuscitate Mr. Scott when it becomes clear the victim has become non-responsive. (You see Officer Slager check Mr. Scott at his neck for a pulse with two fingers on his left hand, but that's all he does as far as checking Mr. Scott for signs of life.)

    http://www.nytimes.com/video/us/1000...ter-scott.html

    Two questions:

    1. If Mr. Scott had taken Officer Slager's taser as he alleges AND he believed his life was in danger, why didn't he cuff Mr. Scott immediately after he had initially stopped him?

    2. If Mr. Scott had taken Officer Slager's taser, why didn't he retrieve it immediately after stopping him once the initial pursuit had ended?

    It seems obvious to me that the above would have been the obvious things to do as a cop when a perp takes your weapon of any sort - you subdue him and retrieve your gear. Why was neither of these things done?

    Regardless of why Mr. Scott ran, nothing on either video warranted him being shot. Mr. Scott did not appear to be a threat to Officer Slager. The fact that they are initially standing face-to-face AND Mr. Scott is not in handcuffs after the initial pursuit gives strong indication this was a non-violent, non-threatening situation.

    IMO, Officer Slager was rightfully charged with murder.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 04-09-15 at 09:09 PM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  9. #539
    Guru
    csbrown28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NW Virginia
    Last Seen
    06-09-17 @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,023

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    So I was listening to XM radio, one of the political channels and they were talking about this. A vet from the Iraq war called in and said that the justification for shooting a potential combatant was stricter in some cases, than the police have when dealing with citizens. He said that towards the end of the war if a person was walking towards him with a weapon he would have to wait until the actual weapon was pointed at him, or shots fired before he could respond.

    As a side note the Geneva convention calls for FMJ bullets in fields of battle, where police are allowed to use HP's on civilians. Again, some real bass aquards thinking....
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary (or faith) depends upon his not understanding it.”

  10. #540
    Sage

    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,103

    Re: Video Shows Officer Shooting Unarmed Black Man in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    No you are not.
    You are seeing what you want to see which is make believe.
    No, you are denying what is obvious for all to see. Even Judge Napolitano said it :

    ‘This Is What People Said Ferguson Was’

    Everyone is wrong except you it seems. Almost everybody clearly sees the officer committing homicide by shooting an unarmed and non dangerous man.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    As I already knew, you are assuming. Which again is make believe.
    No, it is pointing to your denial of even the most basic facts:

    1. the victim was unarmed
    2. he was not a danger to anybody whatsoever

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    Obviously you didn't know until it was pointed out to you.
    And in this case at the point in time the Officer responded, the guy was such a threat.
    But I am sure you will continue to ignore that in pursuit of your make believe bs.
    Wow, I didn't know until it was pointed out? What that it is illegal for police officers to shoot unarmed people who flee and pose no threat to anyone in the back? Yeah, I already knew that.

    I would assume you have not seen this video once or you would not be posting utter untruths about this case time and time again.

    The man was at the moment of the first shot being fired, no danger whatsoever and to say otherwise is denying the reality of what is on that video.

    Even Ben Carson the republican candidate realizes it, he is calling it an execution: " “It’s horrible to see an execution take place in the street like that.”

    The boss of this police officer has called it sickening what his officer did to that poor man.

    But I guess you are one of the few who sees it "like it is" and the rest of us is just talking nonsense Sorry, but you denials and distortions do not add up to a truthful story.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    And you are wrong.
    At the point in time the Officer responded the guy was a threat.
    No, being 20 feet away with your back turned to the officer you are not a threat and to say that he is is and obvious untruth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    It didn't fall. The guy who grabbed it threw it away.
    Says who? Says you? Because there is zero evidence for that. It appeared on the video that the strings of the taser were going towards the victim, not the police officer. The taser was on the ground and a non-issue in the shooting homicide of this man.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    His resistance is part of the whole.
    You can tell yourself that until you are blue in the face but even a judge says that is nonsense.

    "This is not Ferguson. In Ferguson, there was a bona fide fight over the officer’s gun and the officer won the fight," Judge Nap said. "This is two disparate cases. This is a victim running away from the police, shot in the back. This is what some people said Ferguson was, but it turned out it wasn't."

    When he was shot he was not resisting, he was not a danger to the officer or anybody else and his shooting is therefore a homicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    And again. Pay attention. At the point in time the Officer was responding to a known threat. To say otherwise you are going to have to show the Officer knew the suspect relived himself of the weapon.
    No, running away from the officer with absolutely nothing in his hands is not a threat to that officer and to say anything else like I have said here before is nonsense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    And? Officers shoot until the threat ceases to be a threat. That just happens to be when they stop their movement.
    If you do not like that, lobby to get policy changed.
    This was never a threat when he started shooting. Your story does not hold water, it is totally in direct contradiction to the facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    You do not know that. That is all an assumption on your part.
    You have no idea what he picked up, or what he tossed down. So just stop with the make believe.
    He had no business picking anything up and he most certainly did not have any business throwing it besides the victim. He contaminated the crime-scene and did not follow any police procedure known to man.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    He may not have committed a crime.
    That is your opinion, I think you are not just a little bit wrong but extremely and completely wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Wrong. It was all your nonsense.
    Wrong, it was factual, unlike your claims and assertions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    Actual danger versus that of a reasonable belief is very different.
    You should try to learn the difference.
    And you should learn the difference between being a threat (like the guy in Ferguson was) and someone who was no threat whatsoever (which is what we have in this case).
    #StayStrongAppie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •