Page 7 of 60 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 591

Thread: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has virtually unequivocal evidence[W:577]

  1. #61
    Guru
    RogueWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Atheist Utopia aka Reality
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:57 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,624

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Please prove He wasn't. It's the atheists quest is it not? Not satisfied to believe something, but militant in trying to convince others there is no God.

    I don't care if you don't believe, what drives such hate that you have to force others not to believe.

    And many, more than any other faith contend He still is.


    Reply if you like, I won't respond....this is very boring and childish.

    Err No.
    Atheism is not a quest to prove anything wrong. Will you religious theists EVER understand??? *sigh.
    Atheism is NOT believing one simple claim. Not our fault the evidence presented for the various god claims (Thor et al., Zeus et al., Yahweh, Vishnu et al., Zoroaster, Osiris et al., etc) just plain sucks ass.

    99 of people are religious theists because their parents were religious theists. I often wonder what would happen if children were raised secular (i.e. religiously neutral) and then given all the information of all the religions and asked to choose the one they wanted to practice...

    Belief cannot be forced. Either you have it or you don't.
    Everyone is born a homo sapiens sapiens but not everyone is a human. -RW
    Trumplethinskin! 4 handicap and getting better every weekend!
    Alex Jones for Press Secretary!!!!!!


  2. #62
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,654

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by RogueWarrior View Post
    Err No.
    Atheism is not a quest to prove anything wrong. Will you religious theists EVER understand??? *sigh.
    Atheism is NOT believing one simple claim. Not our fault the evidence presented for the various god claims (Thor et al., Zeus et al., Yahweh, Vishnu et al., Zoroaster, Osiris et al., etc) just plain sucks ass.

    99 of people are religious theists because their parents were religious theists. I often wonder what would happen if children were raised secular (i.e. religiously neutral) and then given all the information of all the religions and asked to choose the one they wanted to practice...

    Belief cannot be forced. Either you have it or you don't.
    Aethism is still a belief in the unknown.
    A faith that God doesn't exist based on opinion and not proof.

  3. #63
    Guru
    RogueWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Atheist Utopia aka Reality
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:57 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,624

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Aethism is still a belief in the unknown.
    A faith that God doesn't exist based on opinion and not proof.
    Again, when will you religious theists take off your blinders??? You can't seem to separate your religion from theism. You all seem to think that religion IS theism ffs. Hurray for the US education system!

    Theism is the belief in the claim: a god exists!
    Atheism is disbelief in that claim. Where do you get belief in the unknown from this? Atheism.does.not.require.belief.in.anything.

    And it is worth mentioning for the umpteenth time:

    The default position versus ANY claim is disbelief. (<----- Do you disagree with this?)
    Make any claim you want and until you provide sufficient evidence to warrant belief, the claim is disbelieved. Go ahead and try it on any extraordinary claim.

    • What would the default position be on the claim: The moon is made of cheese.
    • What would the default position be on the claim: There is an invisible pink unicorn watching over your shoulder as you type.
    • What would the default position be on the claim: AGW is happening.
    • What would the default position be on the claim: You have milk on your face.



    All these claims have various degrees of outlandishness, but all do not warrant belief until they can be demonstrated to be true.


    An atheist might make a claim about the existence of a god or even gods in general, but then the atheist would have to provide support for their claim.
    However, most atheists (WAG: 90%) will not make that claim. There is no to reason to attempt to disprove something that is not proven to exist.
    Everyone is born a homo sapiens sapiens but not everyone is a human. -RW
    Trumplethinskin! 4 handicap and getting better every weekend!
    Alex Jones for Press Secretary!!!!!!


  4. #64
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,654

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by RogueWarrior View Post
    Again, when will you religious theists take off your blinders??? You can't seem to separate your religion from theism. You all seem to think that religion IS theism ffs. Hurray for the US education system!

    Theism is the belief in the claim: a god exists!
    Atheism is disbelief in that claim. Where do you get belief in the unknown from this? Atheism.does.not.require.belief.in.anything.

    And it is worth mentioning for the umpteenth time:

    The default position versus ANY claim is disbelief. (<----- Do you disagree with this?)
    Make any claim you want and until you provide sufficient evidence to warrant belief, the claim is disbelieved. Go ahead and try it on any extraordinary claim.

    • What would the default position be on the claim: The moon is made of cheese.
    • What would the default position be on the claim: There is an invisible pink unicorn watching over your shoulder as you type.
    • What would the default position be on the claim: AGW is happening.
    • What would the default position be on the claim: You have milk on your face.



    All these claims have various degrees of outlandishness, but all do not warrant belief until they can be demonstrated to be true.


    An atheist might make a claim about the existence of a god or even gods in general, but then the atheist would have to provide support for their claim.
    However, most atheists (WAG: 90%) will not make that claim. There is no to reason to attempt to disprove something that is not proven to exist.
    A belief in ANYTHING without proof takes some measure of Faith. " Faith " isn't limited to spiritual issues.

    Aethism ask to proves Gods existence, so why shouldnt I be allowed to ask a Aethist to prove he doesn't exist ?

    I think some Aethist mistake their position on a higher power as Aethism when in fact its Agnostic.

  5. #65
    Professor
    JoeTrumps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,532

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    I think at this point the atheist view on Jesus would be: he did exist but he wasn't the son of God.

    I mean there is just as much proof that Jesus lived than Aristotle or other ancient figures. Think about it. In the New Testament the accounts from eyewitnesses differ in slight(and sometimes big) ways. If there was a group of conspirators writing the book don't you think they would have ALL been sure that their accounts matched EXACTLY. It's like a traffic accident. People will have different stories but the basics remain the same. same thing here.

  6. #66
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    29,917

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Right, because insisting on equality is an open attack.
    How is attacking Christians and Jews but not Muslims "equal"?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #67
    Guru
    RogueWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Atheist Utopia aka Reality
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:57 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,624

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    A belief in ANYTHING without proof takes some measure of Faith. " Faith " isn't limited to spiritual issues.

    Aethism ask to proves Gods existence, so why shouldnt I be allowed to ask a Aethist to prove he doesn't exist ?

    I think some Aethist mistake their position on a higher power as Aethism when in fact its Agnostic.

    SIGH

    Yes believing something without proof requires faith, your point?

    Why WHY?
    Lets examine the 4 example claims from my post and apply your logic:
    • The moon is made of cheese. Prove that it isn't
    • There is an invisible pink unicorn looking over your shoulder as you type. Prove that there isn't.
    • AGW is happening. Prove that it isn't.
    • You have milk on your face. Prove that you don't.
    • There is a god. Prove that there isn't.


    This is called 'shifting the burden of proof'. You demand refutation of a claim as if it were an established fact. This you cannot do. If every claim, especially the extraordinary claims like my example #2 above, are to be considered fact, then all sorts of nonsense suddenly becomes fact simply because someone claims it.

    And finally what does agnosticism have to do with belief?
    For every claim made, there are 2 possible stances: Belief and non-belief. The default is always non-belief, as I just explained.
    You can believe but not know why you believe. (eg.: you believe because like most religious people you are born into it; you have never really looked into it)
    You can disbelieve and not know why precisely (eg.: the evidence from hinduism, judaism, christianity, islam etc is not compelling)

    In both cases, these people, theist and atheist alike, are agnostic.
    Everyone is born a homo sapiens sapiens but not everyone is a human. -RW
    Trumplethinskin! 4 handicap and getting better every weekend!
    Alex Jones for Press Secretary!!!!!!


  8. #68
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,198

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    I came to the cross late in life, I was far from indoctrinated...more like dragged kicking and screaming. I have shared my story and often the reaction is "he really wanted you..."

    My theological training has all be self-directed, or rather at His hand. So my perspective is termed "fresh" in theological circles.

    The longer I walk with this Jewish Carpenter the more how I see His whole point of being here has been grossly mis-understood. He gave no law but one, the "mandatum magnum" ..."love one another".

    In some Christian faiths, women are still second class, they can't even preach based on one line in a letter from Paul. And yet we have the acts of Jesus, he "had to cross the Jordan" and enter Samaria [who were despised by Jews].....and what did he do?

    He met and spoke with a woman in the middle of the day as an equal. That alone was viewed as a "sin' in some sects of His faith and certainly a gross social insult, as men did not lower themselves to speak to women in public save to give them orders.

    And what does Jesus do with this prostitute who has "five husbands"? at the end of his little talk, he sends he away with the words "now, go, and tell them I have come."

    In other words, go preach of me to Samaria. He broke every social tenet to speak to a woman, broke more as she was morally judged, and then gives her the responsibility of delivery His message accurately.

    That is not keeping women in their place, and it is not judging on moral grounds, a woman hooker as preacher is what HE is all about

    There is a book called "The Ragamuffin Gospels"....worth reading
    Greetings, F&L.

    You have a new look, I see. Still wearing sunglasses, too! Very mysterious. Is this the one you're going to allow us to take pictures of?

  9. #69
    Puer Aeternus
    Tsunami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-08-16 @ 03:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    Isn't that like saying there are no eyewitness accounts outside of those who eye witnessed His life and acts
    There are no eyewitness accounts known to exist. There is no corroboration of any of his narrative from outside the gospels. Sorry if my grammar confused you.
    Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Religion...by FAR...humanities stupidest invention.

    'My God's better then your God.'

    'No, mine is better then yours'.



    What utter nonsense.

Page 7 of 60 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •