Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 591

Thread: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has virtually unequivocal evidence[W:577]

  1. #491
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Posts
    555

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Not when you can't demonstrate that such fine tuning actually exists. Making an unsubstantiated claim isn't evidence. Let us know when you can demonstrate that what you claim about "fine tuning" is actually objectively true. I suspect we'll be waiting a very, very long time.
    Suppose we went on a mission to Mars, and found a domed structure in which everything was set up just right for life to exist. The temperature, for example, was set around 70o F and the humidity was at 50%; moreover, there was an oxygen recycling system, an energy gathering system, and a whole system for the production of food. Put simply, the domed structure appeared to be a fully functioning biosphere. What conclusion would we draw from finding this structure? Would we draw the conclusion that it just happened to form by chance? Certainly not. Instead, we would unanimously conclude that it was designed by some intelligent being. Why would we draw this conclusion? Because an intelligent designer appears to be the only plausible explanation for the existence of the structure. That is, the only alternative explanation we can think of--that the structure was formed by some natural process--seems extremely unlikely. Of course, it is possible that, for example, through some volcanic eruption various metals and other compounds could have formed, and then separated out in just the right way to produce the "biosphere," but such a scenario strikes us as extraordinarily unlikely, thus making this alternative explanation unbelievable.
    The universe is analogous to such a "biosphere," according to recent findings in physics. Almost everything about the basic structure of the universe--for example, the fundamental laws and parameters of physics and the initial distribution of matter and energy--is balanced on a razor's edge for life to occur.

  2. #492
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Posts
    555

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It isn't anyone's job to prove you're wrong, it's entirely your job to prove that you're right. Show us a direct causal link between "the fine tuned constants of physics" (which you haven't proven to exist) and the specific deity in the Bible. It's no wonder you don't know how badly you're losing because you don't even understand the discussion.
    A few examples of this fine-tuning are listed below:

    1. If the initial explosion of the big bang had differed in strength by as little as 1 part in 1060, the universe would have either quickly collapsed back on itself, or expanded too rapidly for stars to form. In either case, life would be impossible. [See Davies, 1982, pp. 90-91. (As John Jefferson Davis points out (p. 140), an accuracy of one part in 10^60 can be compared to firing a bullet at a one-inch target on the other side of the observable universe, twenty billion light years away, and hitting the target.)

    2. Calculations indicate that if the strong nuclear force, the force that binds protons and neutrons together in an atom, had been stronger or weaker by as little as 5%, life would be impossible. (Leslie, 1989, pp. 4, 35; Barrow and Tipler, p. 322.)

    3. Calculations by Brandon Carter show that if gravity had been stronger or weaker by 1 part in 10 to the 40th power, then life-sustaining stars like the sun could not exist. This would most likely make life impossible. (Davies, 1984, p. 242.)

    4. If the neutron were not about 1.001 times the mass of the proton, all protons would have decayed into neutrons or all neutrons would have decayed into protons, and thus life would not be possible. (Leslie, 1989, pp. 39-40 )

    5. If the electromagnetic force were slightly stronger or weaker, life would be impossible, for a variety of different reasons. (Leslie, 1988, p. 299.)

    Imaginatively, one could think of each instance of fine-tuning as a radio dial: unless all the dials are set exactly right, life would be impossible. Or, one could think of the initial conditions of the universe and the fundamental parameters of physics as a dart board that fills the whole galaxy, and the conditions necessary for life to exist as a small one-foot wide target: unless the dart hits the target, life would be impossible. The fact that the dials are perfectly set, or the dart has hit the target, strongly suggests that someone set the dials or aimed the dart, for it seems enormously improbable that such a coincidence could have happened by chance.

  3. #493
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Huh ?

    Lol !! I guess I'm not going to get a honest answer out of someone who celebrates Marx.
    Funny you can make the claim that any old thing exists, and then challenge somebody to prove it doesn't, lol. We're having difficulty getting the straight honest answers from you.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  4. #494
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    19,581

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    It's likely that universes with such variables exist, or not. We know this one does. Had it been different then evolution would have gone differently and we would not exist as we do. If the dinosaurs hadn't been killed off by the Chicxulub impact, the mammals might still be scuttling around in trees and burrows like squirrels.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  5. #495
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    26,554

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by JFish123 View Post
    A few examples of this fine-tuning are listed below:

    1. If the initial explosion of the big bang had differed in strength by as little as 1 part in 1060, the universe would have either quickly collapsed back on itself, or expanded too rapidly for stars to form. In either case, life would be impossible. [See Davies, 1982, pp. 90-91. (As John Jefferson Davis points out (p. 140), an accuracy of one part in 10^60 can be compared to firing a bullet at a one-inch target on the other side of the observable universe, twenty billion light years away, and hitting the target.)
    And if it had done that, we wouldn't be here debating it. That might have happened a billion times in the past, leaving no intelligent life to consider the possibilities. That does not prove that the universe was created by an intelligent force specifically for us. Try again.

    2. Calculations indicate that if the strong nuclear force, the force that binds protons and neutrons together in an atom, had been stronger or weaker by as little as 5%, life would be impossible. (Leslie, 1989, pp. 4, 35; Barrow and Tipler, p. 322.)
    Likewise, our form of life wouldn't have been possible. That doesn't mean a different form of life wouldn't have taken hold. We evolved under the conditions that existed in this universe. You're arguing like the puddle who believes that the hole it's in was created perfectly to fit it.

    3. Calculations by Brandon Carter show that if gravity had been stronger or weaker by 1 part in 10 to the 40th power, then life-sustaining stars like the sun could not exist. This would most likely make life impossible. (Davies, 1984, p. 242.)
    Same old nonsense, try again.

    4. If the neutron were not about 1.001 times the mass of the proton, all protons would have decayed into neutrons or all neutrons would have decayed into protons, and thus life would not be possible. (Leslie, 1989, pp. 39-40 )
    Yadda yadda.

    5. If the electromagnetic force were slightly stronger or weaker, life would be impossible, for a variety of different reasons. (Leslie, 1988, p. 299.)
    We're all still waiting for you to demonstrate that any of this is the product of a supernatural deity specifically for humanity. When do you think you're going to get to that?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  6. #496
    Sage
    zyzygy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Flanders.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,351

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Aethist believe God doesn't exist.

    You believe in something you cannot prove.

    Stop being hypocritical and admit you too rely on faith to back your assertions.
    I have never seen proof of the existence of a god. Atheists suspect that gods do not exist. Do you believe that Krishna exists?

  7. #497
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Posts
    555

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    And if it had done that, we wouldn't be here debating it. That might have happened a billion times in the past, leaving no intelligent life to consider the possibilities. That does not prove that the universe was created by an intelligent force specifically for us. Try again.



    Likewise, our form of life wouldn't have been possible. That doesn't mean a different form of life wouldn't have taken hold. We evolved under the conditions that existed in this universe. You're arguing like the puddle who believes that the hole it's in was created perfectly to fit it.



    Same old nonsense, try again.



    Yadda yadda.



    We're all still waiting for you to demonstrate that any of this is the product of a supernatural deity specifically for humanity. When do you think you're going to get to that?
    Like before, atheists will try to reason away the evidence if it doesn't fit their pre conceived world view. Even if given more and more evidence, they will always ask for more evidence no matter how much you provide. Always questions, even when provided answers. Well, you say it doesn't mean life couldn't gave arisen another way... But it didn't. It's a "what if" to explain away the evidence provided. "It MIGHT have happened a billion times in the past," you say." Another "what if."
    Atheists will always revert to "what if" scenarios to try to explain away evidence for God. The problem isn't the evidence, which I can give far more of, however it would prove vain. The problem is the atheist interpretation of the evidence, as they cannot bear to think there lives will be held accountable to someone above even them.

  8. #498
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by zyzygy View Post
    I have never seen proof of the existence of a god.
    And others have. Perhaps you will one day feel the presence of God and perhaps not. Either way it doesn't really matter to those who have had the experience.

  9. #499
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    06-05-15 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    And others have. Perhaps you will one day feel the presence of God and perhaps not. Either way it doesn't really matter to those who have had the experience.
    Are all muslims wrong about their experience? Hindus? Pagans?

  10. #500
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovkan View Post
    Are all muslims wrong about their experience? Hindus? Pagans?
    Perhaps you should direct your question to them.

Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •