Page 44 of 60 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 591

Thread: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has virtually unequivocal evidence[W:577]

  1. #431
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,487

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by JFish123 View Post
    And one more fake quote in an attempt to support a fallacy

    "Those who raise questions about the God hypothesis and the soul hypothesis are by no means all atheist. An atheist is someone who is certain that God does not exist, someone who has compelling evidence against the existence of God. I know of no such compelling evidence. Because God can be relegated to remote times and places and to ultimate causes, we would have to know a great deal more about the universe than we do know to be sure that no such God exist ..."
    Conversations with Carl Sagan pg 70

    It seems to me that the good Professor Sagan was agnostic in his views about a deity
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  2. #432
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Posts
    555

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    And one more fake quote in an attempt to support a fallacy



    Conversations with Carl Sagan pg 70

    It seems to me that the good Professor Sagan was agnostic in his views about a deity
    Yeah, that was the point of the quote ...

  3. #433
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,487

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by JFish123 View Post
    Yeah, that was the point of the quote ...
    Riiight -- never mind that it was fake.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  4. #434
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Posts
    555

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Well you know what Dirty Harry said about opinions .....

    The onus has never been on atheists to prove a negative that god doesn't exist. The burden of proof lies with the true believers and we've been an awful long time waiting for it
    We've given you plenty of evidence. Your interpretation of it because you don't want there to be a God has been the problems of atheists for that awful long time.

  5. #435
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Posts
    555

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Riiight -- never mind that it was fake.
    The Washington Post
    By Joel Achenbach July 10, 2014
    Every so often I get an e-mail out of the blue about two sentences in a story published in The Post in 1996. I quoted Carl Sagan: “An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no God.”

    Astronomer Carl Sagan prepares for television series ‘Cosmos’ in 1981. He co-wrote the PBS series with his wife, Ann Duryan.
    People who contact me want to know where the quote came from. Answer: He said it to me in an interview. (I might even have it on tape somewhere in the bottom of a file box). He said identical, or similar things, many times. You can find such material in his voluminous papers now archived at the Library of Congress. For example:

    To Robert Pope, of Windsor, Ontario, Oct. 2, 1996

    “I am not an atheist. An atheist is someone who has compelling evidence that there is no Judeo-Christian-Islamic God. I am not that wise...

    Sorry Bro, real quote... Repeatedly. Not an atheist. Agnostic. And even though he thought at the time the evidence was very sparse for a God, science has come a long way since Sagan with clearly defined evidence. So much so, Sagan as an agnostic would be in wonder.

  6. #436
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,487

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by JFish123 View Post
    The Washington Post
    By Joel Achenbach July 10, 2014
    Every so often I get an e-mail out of the blue about two sentences in a story published in The Post in 1996. I quoted Carl Sagan: “An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no God.”

    Astronomer Carl Sagan prepares for television series ‘Cosmos’ in 1981. He co-wrote the PBS series with his wife, Ann Duryan.
    People who contact me want to know where the quote came from. Answer: He said it to me in an interview. (I might even have it on tape somewhere in the bottom of a file box). He said identical, or similar things, many times. You can find such material in his voluminous papers now archived at the Library of Congress. For example:

    To Robert Pope, of Windsor, Ontario, Oct. 2, 1996

    “I am not an atheist. An atheist is someone who has compelling evidence that there is no Judeo-Christian-Islamic God. I am not that wise...

    Sorry Bro, real quote... Repeatedly. Not an atheist. Agnostic. And even though he thought at the time the evidence was very sparse for a God, science has come a long way since Sagan with clearly defined evidence. So much so, Sagan as an agnostic would be in wonder.
    You are so bad, dude. First you fail to acknowledge that I said Sagan was an agnostic (post #431), then you quote mine an article from the Washington Post without providing a link AND you still claim your original jpg image was authentic

    your quote mine with all the words Sagan said, not just what you posted
    “I am not an atheist. An atheist is someone who has compelling evidence that there is no Judeo-Christian-Islamic God. I am not that wise, but neither do I consider there to be anything approaching adequate evidence for such a god. Why are you in such a hurry to make up your mind? Why not simply wait until there is compelling evidence?”
    a letter to Stephen Jay Gould, quoted in the Post article
    “Do you understand how – assuming either of us ever did say ‘The universe can be explained without postulating God’ – this could be understood as dogmatic? I often talk about the ‘God hypothesis’ as something I’d be fully willing to accept if there were compelling evidence; unfortunately, there is nothing approaching compelling evidence. That attitude, it seems to me, is undogmatic.”
    then a quote from a family friend
    “In his adult life he was very close to being an atheist. I personally had several conversations with him about religion, belief, god, and yes I agree he was darn close. It’s really semantics at this level of distinction. He was certainly not a theist. And I suppose I can relate because I personally don’t call myself an atheist, although if you probed what I believe, it would be indistinguishable from many who do use that term.”




    OH, you want a link









    Carl Sagan denied being an atheist. So what did he believe? [Part 1] - The Washington Post
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  7. #437
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    61,619

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Democracies also have governments and of course there are several types throughout the world.. Your claim was you get your rights from government and their is no evidence of that at all. In fact governments can remove your rights just as easily as giving them out..
    Locke Second Treatise of Government about the Social Contract
    Hobbes Leviathan about the State of Nature
    Montesquieu The Spirit of the Law about the State of Nature

    Other good reads are Kant, Hume, Rousseau

    In the State of Nature there are no rights. God existed prior to societies when the State of Nature was in effect. There were no rights... There is only what you can do to others and what you can keep them from doing to you.

    Rights are a human construct that are designed to help SOCIETY function. Society occurs when people start grouping. When a government is formed in outlines what it will do to protect the people and the people then agree to abide by the laws of the government. This is the Social Contract that gives Rights to the people because the people have given the government that power.

    There is probably zero proof for you at this moment in your life but that doesn't mean he won't make himself felt at some later point in your life.
    There is proof or there isn't. There is no proof for "you" as in an individual. The moon exists and can be verified to all. Love can even be proven by words and actions.

    God? Nothing. No proof. None. Zilch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaAdonis View Post
    Trump could take a dump on an American flag on national TV and his base would cheer.
    Quote Originally Posted by camlok View Post
    there were no hijackers...

  8. #438
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    61,619

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You can only make the claim that for you there has been zero proof.
    Again.... there is either evidence of there is not. "Faith" and "belief" are not proof. "Feelings", "desires", "hopes" and "security" do not consitute proof or evidence.

    Millions outside of your circle has had other proof.
    Example?

    There is zero proof which satisfies you but there is ample proof
    ...such as?

    from others who have had different experiences in their lives. You may just have to accept that for now.
    I experience the suns rays that burn my skin. I see the color spectrum in the air, the plants and the animals. I feel the wind. Those are proofs that something exists...

    I accept that many billions of people have a belief in something that has ZERO proof that it exists. Seems delusional. Next to that irrational thinking taking the next step and asking why people believe with no proof in something that could EASILY offer proof just compounds the issue or delusional thinking...

    It's odd that the anti-Christian skeptics, atheists and agnostics, were often among those who firmly believed that "If you like your plan you can keep your plan", while those of a religious persuasion tended to be more skeptical. It seems humans will believe a great deal on faith alone, but Obamacare rapidly proved to be a lie while Christianity, now under threat around the world, has been around for over 2,000 years and people are still finding truth in His words.
    That is one of the biggest Straw Man / Red Herring combos that I have ever seen. Not even close to a logical analogy. Tossing that aside I assume that you have some proof that it is that it is anti-Christians (however you identify that goup ) that had faith in Obamacare but Christians did not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaAdonis View Post
    Trump could take a dump on an American flag on national TV and his base would cheer.
    Quote Originally Posted by camlok View Post
    there were no hijackers...

  9. #439
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    61,619

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    you tried to discredit the authenticity of the testimony. You failed.
    Your intellectual dishonesty is clear and noted... When it is at the level that you have committed it that is also a signal of a defeated spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaAdonis View Post
    Trump could take a dump on an American flag on national TV and his base would cheer.
    Quote Originally Posted by camlok View Post
    there were no hijackers...

  10. #440
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    61,619

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by JFish123 View Post
    Again government principles are made by men. So what makes there opinion on justice or good or morally evil any better or worse then another person or group? In a relative universe it doesn't. It's just relative opinions on the matter. If however there is something above us like a moral law we all share that tells us if something is absolutely wrong to do in all places at all times then there must be something that transcends us , a moral law giver, what we call God
    Not at all... For the most part people don't want to hack others to death because it is gross, ends a person's life, destroys families, etc. That is hwo I feel and I would argue the VAST MAJORITY feel the same way and that is why mass murdering is non-existent. Just because many people feel the same way does not indicate a moral law giver... that is ridiculous..

    Heck, so many people love chocolate that there must be something that transcends us all like a Taste Giver, right?

    Talk about grasping at anything...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaAdonis View Post
    Trump could take a dump on an American flag on national TV and his base would cheer.
    Quote Originally Posted by camlok View Post
    there were no hijackers...

Page 44 of 60 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •