Page 38 of 60 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 591

Thread: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has virtually unequivocal evidence[W:577]

  1. #371
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    27,751

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    There are no historical facts that prove the existence of your god. And if the Christians version of a god existed, I would not want to be anywhere near the evil bastard.
    Loony toons, why does it always have to be loony toons.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #372
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    40,858

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    The first writings were maybe 40 or 50 years after his death, not 15. The bulk over the next 50 or so. Then the translating editing and redacting took another 500 or more.

    Have someone with access to only the most rudimentary of parchments and skins to read or write in, recall in detail about the events of the Atlanta Olympics, only twenty years ago. Name the opening speechgivers, the first twelve gold medalists, and what they said at the interviews afterward. It's a ridiculous premise.
    You're assuming that Jesus' story had anywhere near as much relevance as the Atlanta Olympics in its time. It simply didn't. His story wasn't even relevant to the Romans much in the same way that the Crusades had little impact on the Muslim world as a whole. Christians have a very strong tradition of blowing the importance of their treasured stories way out of proportion. So to add a small correction to your post, it's like someone with the most rudimentary of parchments recalling, in detail, events which happened 50 years ago at a small gathering in a small city in the East Coast - that was filled with people like Jesus.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 04-16-15 at 02:31 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #373
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    No. There should be ZERO religious symbols on government or state run places. None. That includes Christian ones...
    We can agree on that.
    Government is what gives humans rights... that is why.
    That's not even a little bit true and for evidence we can look to any country outside the democracies. In fact, even in the democracies, governments are whittling away at our freedoms. This is fine for those who want governments to organize their lives and, like Obama with 'The Life Of Julia", feel the government can run their lives better than they can. Others want to be largely free of government intrusion in their lives but that is becoming almost impossible.

  4. #374
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,218

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    it started getting written down about 15 years afterwards, though the written accounts that we have contain earlier material.
    You get my point or fact or you don't at this point...

    He disagrees.
    You mean She.

  5. #375
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,218

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    That's not even a little bit true and for evidence we can look to any country outside the democracies. In fact, even in the democracies, governments are whittling away at our freedoms. This is fine for those who want governments to organize their lives and, like Obama with 'The Life Of Julia", feel the government can run their lives better than they can. Others want to be largely free of government intrusion in their lives but that is becoming almost impossible.
    I said governments... not democracies. Governments can be big like the USA or teeny like a tribal council. Want to go again within that context?

  6. #376
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    1. I don't care who "witnessed" it... when was it written?
    2. There is no God... that is no argument.
    There is no God for you but there is a God for others. His reality for many millions is just as real as your doubt.

    "Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important." C.S. Lewis

  7. #377
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,218

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by JFish123 View Post
    God is what gives humans rights. Governments in the past. Especially atheist regimes recently have proved government alone can't give rights. I mean which government are we referring to? Did the Nazi government? Did the communist government if Mao? Do the Islamic states like Iran that throw people off buildings? If there is no God, then morality and truth is relative. What's true or moral for you, might not be for me. Then if someone murders someone you love and the judge lets him go. Sorry I feel that murder is ok. Relative. But we have laws from the government you say so it wouldn't happen. The point is that the government-any government is just a group of people. Meaning what makes there morality better then another groups?gotta gave a foundation above ourselves for there to be any true right and wrong that's absolute for everybody everywhere.
    After all if anything is wrong or evil just because it's wrong, absolutes exist
    https://youtu.be/ryA8PafooQ4
    You seem to have no idea what constitutes basic government principles not to mention the works of Hobbes, Locke or Montesquieu... Social Contract, English Bill of Rights, etc... no offense but I don't have the time or patience to teach you.

  8. #378
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,218

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    There is no God for you but there is a God for others. His reality for many millions is just as real as your doubt.

    "Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important." C.S. Lewis
    If there is ZERO proof then my doubt is more likely true than their faith...

  9. #379
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I said governments... not democracies. Governments can be big like the USA or teeny like a tribal council. Want to go again within that context?
    Democracies also have governments and of course there are several types throughout the world.. Your claim was you get your rights from government and their is no evidence of that at all. In fact governments can remove your rights just as easily as giving them out..

  10. #380
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    If there is ZERO proof then my doubt is more likely true than their faith...
    There is probably zero proof for you at this moment in your life but that doesn't mean he won't make himself felt at some later point in your life.

Page 38 of 60 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •