Page 25 of 60 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 591

Thread: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has virtually unequivocal evidence[W:577]

  1. #241
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,013

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    To all the cynics and skeptics let me say that I was once just like you.

    Doing my best to define Jesus and the Bible down into a collective work of fiction and hearsay.

    But eventually I did accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior.

    There is something substantial that you receive and it grows over time. Ive never met the physical Jesus but the more I know him the more of this " gift " ( my words ) I receive

    Hard to explain it ...peace ? Definitely Love, Joy. But like I said its real, substantial and I can remember how I felt before. It reminds me of the love I feel for my Children.

    Deep, personal and unconditional and its free.

  2. #242
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    19,579

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by zgoldsmith23 View Post
    I mean, the gospel according to Luke starts off by saying he's aware of other accounts of the of Jesus. So using what you consider evidence, there's evidence of Luke being aware of other accounts.

    So they begin when he's grown? Didn't think to mention it? 'Oh, by the way, this fella was somehow conceived without even a turkey baster.' I mean, something. If you're writing a story about a divine character, that's something to add in. (See: other religious icons and their stories)

    I'm all for accepting it but I want to see the scientific evidence. Using a claim (i.e. the Bible) as support for another claim (i.e. the Resurrection) is circular logic. Watch.

    "Logic, how do you know the Resurrection happened?"
    "Well, it says it in the Bible."
    "Well, how do you know the Bible is true?"
    "Because it is the word of god."
    "But how do you know it's the word of god?"
    "It says it in the Bible."

    See. We're no better off than when we started. And yes, I take that view. Why? If you're writing something down, perhaps the greatest story ever told, something so pivotal, it's probably best to get it right and make sure it happened as it did. But no, instead we get some stuff that overlaps (coincidentally with other supernatural religious icons, too, but that's another ball of wax). These aren't eyewitness accounts. This is hearsay YEARS after it happened, even you admitted it as much. Acts, Corinthians, the Gospels, etc. all give different stories of what happened. Who did Jesus first appear to when he got over his three-day binger?

    ... of course he you. That's called confirmation bias. People are resuscitated all the time. I can tell you, they are not divine.
    Even the three days is a stretch, Friday evening till Sunday morning is barely 36 hours.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  3. #243
    thereligionofpeace.com
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,762

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    Isn't that a bit circular? We know that the Bible is true because the bible says that it was supernaturally inspired. And we know that's true because the Bible says it's true and the Bible was supernaturally inspired. . And we know that's true because the Bible says it's true and the Bible was supernaturally inspired. etc...
    Yes, I've posted this previously to the Consternation of several of the usual suspects.

    Circular Reasoning

    CIRCULAR REASONING
    circulus in demonstrando
    ......
    Description: A type of reasoning in which the proposition is supported by the premises, which is supported by the proposition, creating a Circle in reasoning where NO Useful information is being shared.
    This Fallacy is often quite Humorous.
    ......
    Example #2:

    The Bible is the Word of God because God tells us it is... in the Bible.

    Explanation: This is a very serious circular argument on which many people base their entire lives.
    This is like getting an e-mail from a Nigerian prince, offering to give you his billion dollar fortune -- but only after you wire him a “good will” offering of $50,000. Of course, you are skeptical until you read the final line in the e-mail that reads “I, prince Nubadola, assure you that this is my message, and it is legitimate. You can trust this e-mail and any others that come from me.” Now you know it is legitimate... because it says so in the e-mail.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  4. #244
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,185

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    It wasn't an ad hominem but an observation that most skeptics I've encountered really haven't spent a lot of time in in-depth study of the scriptures. Quite a few of them have never read the Bible, much less studied it in depth.

    For instance, how many books on "Christ in the Old Testament" have you read? Have you read the basics, like this one?

    Attachment 67182985

    The more you study that Bible the more you will see how beautifully interconnected it is.
    Nice backpedal.

    You're right, I certainly qualify as a "novice" or an "amateur" as I don't make money off of religious studies.

    And it's funny, you say that the more you study the Bible and yet.. studying the Bible seems to consist of reading commentaries other people wrote on the Bible. Why not just read the actual Bible? Most of those commentaries, including the Evidence that Demands a verdict series are unfortunately pseudo-intellectual fluff pieces. They spend a lot of time attacking weak strawmen arguments and are chalked full of factual inaccuracies. eg.. the New Testament wasn't written by eyewitnesses, isnít' unique among ancient manuscripts, and is no more self consistent through the centuries than any other document... (arguably less so).

    How could you ignore the Council of Nicea and it's relationship to Constantine and the politics of Rome? What about the Septuagint vs the Masoretic texts? What about Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus? The differences between the Apostles' Creed and the Nicean Creed? What of the Gnostic movement? What about the numerous contradictions throughout the Bible? The actual hard questions are far too numerous to tick off here.

    A better question would be for you. What constitutes "studying" the Bible? Have you read the Richard Lattimore verision? (He's widely regarded as a preeminent translator of ancient Greek works and produced the go to versions of the Illiad, the Odyssey, etc..
    Englishing the Iliad: Grading Four Rival Translations - The New Yorker

    The net result is a much more true to life feel. Much of the "interconnectedness" you're talking about is that most Bible versions translate everything to sound the same. Lattimore's doesn't. Mark is choppy and unsophisticated. Luke is flowing and elegant. The letters are actually letters.

    But.. I'm a novice, and you're an "expert".

  5. #245
    Sage
    Logicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:50 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12,356

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    Nice backpedal.

    You're right, I certainly qualify as a "novice" or an "amateur" as I don't make money off of religious studies.
    Neither do I.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    And it's funny, you say that the more you study the Bible and yet.. studying the Bible seems to consist of reading commentaries other people wrote on the Bible. Why not just read the actual Bible? Most of those commentaries, including the Evidence that Demands a verdict series are unfortunately pseudo-intellectual fluff pieces. They spend a lot of time attacking weak strawmen arguments and are chalked full of factual inaccuracies. eg.. the New Testament wasn't written by eyewitnesses, isn’t' unique among ancient manuscripts, and is no more self consistent through the centuries than any other document... (arguably less so).
    How would you know? You've a novice, remember?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    How could you ignore the Council of Nicea and it's relationship to Constantine and the politics of Rome? What about the Septuagint vs the Masoretic texts? What about Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus? The differences between the Apostles' Creed and the Nicean Creed? What of the Gnostic movement? What about the numerous contradictions throughout the Bible? The actual hard questions are far too numerous to tick off here.
    Not ignoring anything, but what about it? Do you have a particular argument that demonstrates (for instance) that the Gospels are wrong? If you do, let's see it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    The net result is a much more true to life feel. Much of the "interconnectedness" you're talking about is that most Bible versions translate everything to sound the same. Lattimore's doesn't. Mark is choppy and unsophisticated. Luke is flowing and elegant. The letters are actually letters.

    But.. I'm a novice, and you're an "expert".
    You are a novice, but I never claimed to be an expert. Just a lot further down the road than you are.

    Now how about you show me where the Gospels are wrong, or fabrications. Pick your best one (1) or two (two) examples and document them. Include scripture numbers. Just one or two. Your very best ones.
    Last edited by Logicman; 04-12-15 at 11:27 AM.
    "Progressives aren't really progressive. They're regressive, all the way back to Sodom and Gomorrah." - author unknown

  6. #246
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    98053
    Last Seen
    04-19-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    264

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Wow! Stunning....If this is reviewed, and verified, what, and how do you see this effecting Christianity? Especially considering the open attack it is under today?
    Attack on Christianity???? All I see is that people are resisting the attempt of Christians to legislate their religious "morality" on the rest of us as is done in theocracies like Iran and by ISIS. Worship as you like, just leave me out of it. And don't go trying to preach religious beliefs on my kids under the guise of science. Creationism is not science. The world is not 7,000 years old. The Sun does not revolve around the Earth. Christians are the aggressors here pretending to be victims.

  7. #247
    Professor
    JoeTrumps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by zip98053 View Post
    Attack on Christianity???? All I see is that people are resisting the attempt of Christians to legislate their religious "morality" on the rest of us as is done in theocracies like Iran and by ISIS. Worship as you like, just leave me out of it. And don't go trying to preach religious beliefs on my kids under the guise of science. Creationism is not science. The world is not 7,000 years old. The Sun does not revolve around the Earth. Christians are the aggressors here pretending to be victims.
    so you are ok with people using atheist values to decide how to vote. but if someone uses christian beliefs to decide how to vote you will throw a fit, rant and rave, and basically lose it.

    well, at least your honest

  8. #248
    Sage

    Scrabaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,660

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    Ah, I see. It's not because they are Christian but because they actually live by their beliefs then. You've got Google, you can look it up if you like, but you won't. Personally I have never seen gay people discriminated against, so I guess it never happens. Interesting enough we do not see other religions attacked in the same way. Islam says to kill homosexuals, and yet we don't hear anything from the gay community about that. It also treats women as property, and yet the feminists don't seem to know it, or at least they don't say anything about it. There is most certainly discrimination toward Christians, I suspect the reason Muslims and Christians are treated differently by these groups is that if you attack Muslims they just might kill you. Our President pointed out that Christians were barbaric during the Crusades, perhaps we should go back to that.
    The Bible says adulterers and gays are to be put to death. It also treats women as property, even says women are not to speak in church.

    There is *nowhere* in the Bible forbidding a business owner to serve a homosexual.

  9. #249
    Tavern Bartender
    #prouddeplorable
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    71,261

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    Proof that he was human and not Divine? Like many thought back then too...
    Did you think they nailed a spirit to the cross or something? Who believes that?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country spoke, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #250
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,569

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by zip98053 View Post
    Attack on Christianity???? All I see is that people are resisting the attempt of Christians to legislate their religious "morality" on the rest of us as is done in theocracies like Iran and by ISIS. Worship as you like, just leave me out of it. And don't go trying to preach religious beliefs on my kids under the guise of science. Creationism is not science. The world is not 7,000 years old. The Sun does not revolve around the Earth. Christians are the aggressors here pretending to be victims.
    Christians are being slaughtered in genocide around the world....That's a fact.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 25 of 60 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •