Page 22 of 60 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 591

Thread: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has virtually unequivocal evidence[W:577]

  1. #211
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    16,867

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Please demonstrate where martyrs, in particular, were promised that.
    That is how heaven is described in scripture. Do you not remember the story of Elijah being taken to heaven?

    Moreover, martyrs in scripture are said to reign with Christ for a 1000 years:

    4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Revelation 20:4
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #212
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Nope... decades or hundreds of years...

    All of the works which would eventually be incorporated into the New Testament would seem to have been written no later than around AD 150

    See the standard New Testament introductions listed below under "Further reading": Goodspeed, Kümmel, Duling and Perrin, Koester, Conzelmann and Lindemann, Brown, and Ehrman.
    Additionally, when the Church canonised the bible, contradictory and embarrassing writings were not incorporated.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #213
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    That is how heaven is described in scripture. Do you not remember the story of Elijah being taken to heaven?

    Moreover, martyrs in scripture are said to reign with Christ for a 1000 years:

    4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Revelation 20:4
    Sorry but I don't follow the OT and feel much of it is nonsense. However, as we are discussing Christianity, Jesus only words on the subject which I could find, were "Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven".

  4. #214
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,883

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What if this ends up proving he did?
    Then all of us non believers will go to nonbeliever heaven. Then all the religious people will...................still be religious!!!

  5. #215
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    02-18-17 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinefire View Post
    Then all of us non believers will go to nonbeliever heaven. Then all the religious people will...................still be religious!!!
    Interesting euphemism for Hell

  6. #216
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,632

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    It's not? I disagree. I think there is plenty out there in stories of instances showing such, you have google, and I am sure you can find them...The only reason for you to deny such is because you side with those attacking Christianity...My question to you is why do you hate Christians so that you feel you have to spew such hate at them...? If you left them alone, I am sure they would leave you alone....
    That's a pretty good argument against itself.

    Sure, you can find a ton of stories where Christians claim to be persecuted in America. That doesn't mean that Christians actually are persecuted. A lot of this is due to the emphasis on martyrdom and persecution against Christianity in the early church. Hence it's a fundamental assumption inside many types of Christianity, particularly among Evangelicals. But, the form that "persecution" usually takes is a Christian sharing their beliefs (usually unasked for) and the recipient going.. wow, that's weird...as politely as possible.

    My point was that Christians outnumber every other religious group by more than 20:1. Hence it's pretty difficult to imagine that they're being "persecuted". One would have to wonder who would be left to be doing the actual persecution. Other Christians?

    Yet your response is very telling. You accuse me of hating Christians and spewing hate at them? Really????? Saying that Christians aren't being persecuted in the US is hate speech? THIS is the real truth. Far too many Christians view disagreement with any of their beliefs as persecution.

    FYI.. a follower of Christ would probably apologize for your previous post.

  7. #217
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post

    My point was that Christians outnumber every other religious group by more than 20:1. Hence it's pretty difficult to imagine that they're being "persecuted". One would have to wonder who would be left to be doing the actual persecution. Other Christians?
    I'm not surprised at your ignorance when the President of the United States doesn't mention that those killed recently in Kenya, and that's just a part of what's going on in the world, were Christians and those selectively murdering them were Muslims.

    Black Lives Matter is the slogan but not, apparently, if they are Christian.

    Obama Doesn't Identify 147 Victims in Kenya Massacre as 'Christians' or Jihadi Group as 'Islamic'

    "We Need Your Head": Muslim Persecution of Christians, July 2014

  8. #218
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Additionally, when the Church canonised the bible, contradictory and embarrassing writings were not incorporated.
    In fact they were.

  9. #219
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    30,028

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I'm not surprised at your ignorance when the President of the United States doesn't mention that those killed recently in Kenya, and that's just a part of what's going on in the world, were Christians and those selectively murdering them were Muslims.

    Black Lives Matter is the slogan but not, apparently, if they are Christian.

    Obama Doesn't Identify 147 Victims in Kenya Massacre as 'Christians' or Jihadi Group as 'Islamic'

    "We Need Your Head": Muslim Persecution of Christians, July 2014
    "Jesus' tomb found? This must be Obama's fault!"


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I smell hosiery....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I call my wife a slut

  10. #220
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    16,867

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Sorry but I don't follow the OT and feel much of it is nonsense. However, as we are discussing Christianity, Jesus only words on the subject which I could find, were "Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven".
    Well Revelation is in the New Testament. That book of Acts venerates martyrdom as well, and its in the NT.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

Page 22 of 60 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •