Page 16 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 591

Thread: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has virtually unequivocal evidence[W:577]

  1. #151
    Engineer
    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    12,738

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I'm trying to be specific and directly answer either your questions or the points you bring up. If you have one or two items you'd rather me expound upon, highlight them and I will.



    had that been the case then Christianity would have almost immediately failed, as did plenty of other cults in the region at that time. However, the authors made their texts and their claims extremely falsifiable, and instead of their being falsified (which would have been insanely easy, if the claims weren't true - just pull the body out of the grave, for one) the Church exploded. The evidence suggests that you are incorrect.



    Quite the contrary - the pre-Resurrection community had no belief that Jesus would die and then come back from the dead.



    depends on what you are discussing. If you are talking Genesis, then you are talking about a date range that begins in (around) 4004 BC, if you accept a literal dateline (which many do not - it's a very Enlightenment idea to impose on an ancient text)



    Exodus and the Mosaic Law were what "made" the Jewish People and the Judaic Faith and occurred around 1100-1000 "ish" BC. So about 200 "ish" years before they started getting written down. Not thousands.



    Actually A) plenty of my prayers have gone unanswered (or, I suppose, the answer was "no - deal with it") and B) yes, I have indeed had direct conversations with God.



    Sure. But magic is the opposite of what is described in the New Testament.



    Actually it doesn't - this is a common misconception among non-believers. Christians don't believe in God because the Bible told them so, they believe in the Bible because God told them so.



    If He is real then he, by definition, could not be lazy but we, indeed, are fallen and prone to rebellion in our pride.
    I guess there really isn't any point in us continuing. You think you've had a physical conversation with god, which pretty much means no amount of reasoned arguments or logic could ever dissuade you from it. Best regards.
    "If I take death into my life, acknowledge it, and face it squarely, I will free myself from the anxiety of death and the pettiness of life - and only then will I be free to become myself." ~ Martin Heidegger

  2. #152
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,753

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Not really. The Pauline Epistles were written roughly 15-30 years after Christ's death, and all four Gospels were completed within the first Century.


    "because the process took decades to hundreds of years."

  3. #153
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    55,269

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post


    "because the process took decades to hundreds of years."
    Wait, sorry, are we talking OT or NT? I got mixed up, methinks
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  4. #154
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,753

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    if they did, then I would like to see the argument about why they would come up with an agenda to paint themselves for all time as a bunch of self-centered, cowardly idiots and then get repeatedly beaten before being killed.
    Being martyrs is the fastest way to immortality and revered worship...

  5. #155
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    55,269

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I guess there really isn't any point in us continuing. You think you've had a physical conversation with god, which pretty much means no amount of reasoned arguments or logic could ever dissuade you from it. Best regards.
    you are assuming your conclusions, and I agree no amount of reasoned arguments or logic will persuade you. Good night .
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  6. #156
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,753

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Wait, sorry, are we talking OT or NT? I got mixed up, methinks
    All, but I was focusing on the New.

  7. #157
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,800

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    There's tons of scholarly works around that answer that to the affirmative. In fact, I don't know of any serious historian who denies a 1st century Jesus.
    Prove it. Just because you say so doesn't make it so.


    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    Bethlehem was known by the Biblical prophet Micah as one of the smallest communities in all of Judea, so just how many babies 2 years old or younger do you really think there were? Three? Five? Maybe ten?

    For the record, Professor William F. Albright, the dean of American archaeology in the Holy Land, estimates that the population of Bethlehem at the time of Jesus' birth to be about 300 people (Albright and Mann 1971:19). The number of male children, two years old or younger, would be about six or seven (Maier 1998:178, footnote 25). This would hardly be a newsworthy event in light of what else was going on at the time (Biblearchaeology.org).

    Considering all the butchery Herod was involved in, even murdering people in his own family, I don't see the Bethlehem killing as a major news story, especially since CNN and FOX and the other networks didn't even exist back then

    Finally, they don't call an argument from silence (which is what you're making), a logical fallacy, for nothing.
    So you take words out of the bible to prove things in the bible? Seriously? That's like proving that hogwarts exist because The book Harry Potter says so.

  8. #158
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    55,269

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Being martyrs is the fastest way to immortality and revered worship...
    .....that's your response. They had secret future-predicting powers and knew that if they were beaten and killed, magically instead of dying out like a dozen other movements, theirs would somehow remember and revere their name?

    yeah. that's even less plausible.


    The authors of the NT believed what they were writing. They depicted themselves (painfully) honestly, they made it easily falsifiable, and they suffered for it.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  9. #159
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    55,269

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    So you take words out of the bible to prove things in the bible? Seriously?
    :raises eyebrow: well... yes. generally when we are looking for evidence of whether or not events occurred, we look for texts about them.


    For example, we believe that Martin Luther started the Reformation. Why? Because people wrote about it. If someone were to say "well, you can't take the texts from that time period that claim that Luther started the Reformation to argue that Luther started the reformation" we would all look at him and then ask if he had recently gone off any major medications - it would be a ludicrous argument.
    Last edited by cpwill; 04-09-15 at 10:40 PM.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  10. #160
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    55,269

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    All, but I was focusing on the New.
    Oh. Well then no, you are incorrect.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

Page 16 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •