Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 591

Thread: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has virtually unequivocal evidence[W:577]

  1. #121
    Sage
    Logicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:42 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12,678

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Dovkan: Yes, they also have archaeological evidence from events inside of many books, their is no evidence for any of the supposed "miracles" or unrealistic claims. Also, I'd love you to back this up.
    That would be incorrect.

    Here's a confirmed miracle:

    http://righterreport.com/2007/07/14/...ing-a-miracle/

    Also, miracles have now been documented.

    http://www.amazon.com/Miracles-Credi.../dp/0801039525
    "Progressives aren't really progressive. They're regressive, all the way back to Sodom and Gomorrah." - author unknown

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    06-05-15 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    That would be incorrect.

    Here's a confirmed miracle:

    http://righterreport.com/2007/07/14/...ing-a-miracle/

    Also, miracles have now been documented.

    http://www.amazon.com/Miracles-Credi.../dp/0801039525
    Yes, posting a book and a righterreport link as evidence of miracles.. awesome.

  3. #123
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    55,635

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovkan View Post
    Yes, they also have archaeological evidence from events inside of many books, their is no evidence for any of the supposed "miracles" or unrealistic claims.
    the claim was that there was no evidence for the historicity of the texts. This is not only false, but ridiculously so.

    Also, I'd love you to back this up
    I'm currently on a business trip and away from my books - but if it truly interests you, message me and when I get back I'll break out the ole materials and send you the appropriate references.
    “In America we have a two-party system,” a Republican congressional staffer told a visiting group of Russian legislators. “There is the stupid party. And there is the evil party. I am proud to be a member of the stupid party. Periodically, the two parties get together and do something that is both stupid and evil. This is called: bipartisanship."

  4. #124
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    55,635

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    No, but if your grandfather says he met god incarnate, we're going to need more evidence. Have you ever played "the telephone game"?
    The Telephone Game, while a common reference, is a poor analogy to the texts under discussion. A key ingredient of message degradation in the telephone game is the secrecy of transmission - you don't know what was said three people down, no one can hear what you say. This is the opposite of what occurs in an open community sharing events that many of them partook in.

    To take a situation you may be more familiar with, it is more like the shared memory of a rifle squad or platoon after a particularly significant event, like the death of a member. Everyone tells where they were when they saw, when they heard, they share their memories of the event, of the lead-up, of the aftermath, etc. The instant one individual tries to dramatically change the story (if he would), the rest of the group quickly interjects and corrects - they know better, they were there. You aren't going to end up with a group who (for example) mis-remembers and has Cpl Jones being killed by a mortar rather than a sniper, or on a different deployment alltogether, or not at all.

    Do any of those archaeological facts show that people used to have magical powers?
    No - magic had nothing whatsoever to do with it.
    “In America we have a two-party system,” a Republican congressional staffer told a visiting group of Russian legislators. “There is the stupid party. And there is the evil party. I am proud to be a member of the stupid party. Periodically, the two parties get together and do something that is both stupid and evil. This is called: bipartisanship."

  5. #125
    Sage
    Logicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:42 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12,678

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    The Telephone Game, while a common reference, is a poor analogy to the texts under discussion. A key ingredient of message degradation in the telephone game is the secrecy of transmission - you don't know what was said three people down, no one can hear what you say. This is the opposite of what occurs in an open community sharing events that many of them partook in.
    Indeed.

    In addition, in the Telephone Game there is always a moderator or the initial individual who knows the real statement, and corrects any variance in the end. And that's exactly what happens in a society when people try to revise or deny historical accounts. There's a whole society there to keep them honest.
    "Progressives aren't really progressive. They're regressive, all the way back to Sodom and Gomorrah." - author unknown

  6. #126
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:54 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,126

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Wow! Stunning....If this is reviewed, and verified, what, and how do you see this effecting Christianity? Especially considering the open attack it is under today?
    What have I missed? I thought Mary was a hooker and Jesus never had a kid. Isn't that the official version?

  7. #127
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    15,991

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    According to The Gospel of Thomas, found in a jar at the Nag Hammadi, Jesus had a twin brother, also named Thomas. Perhaps they found Jesus' twin?
    I always thought him having a twin would explain the resurrection.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #128
    Engineer
    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    13,068

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    The Telephone Game, while a common reference, is a poor analogy to the texts under discussion. A key ingredient of message degradation in the telephone game is the secrecy of transmission - you don't know what was said three people down, no one can hear what you say. This is the opposite of what occurs in an open community sharing events that many of them partook in.

    To take a situation you may be more familiar with, it is more like the shared memory of a rifle squad or platoon after a particularly significant event, like the death of a member. Everyone tells where they were when they saw, when they heard, they share their memories of the event, of the lead-up, of the aftermath, etc. The instant one individual tries to dramatically change the story (if he would), the rest of the group quickly interjects and corrects - they know better, they were there. You aren't going to end up with a group who (for example) mis-remembers and has Cpl Jones being killed by a mortar rather than a sniper, or on a different deployment alltogether, or not at all.



    No - magic had nothing whatsoever to do with it.
    A more appropriate analogy would be a fire-team that waited decades to actually write down that Cpl Jones rose from the dead and was god incarnate. Why does the sole evidence of jesus's divinity rely on the alleged testimony of a handful of men who had every reason to lie? A large chunk of the old testament was passed down orally over a course of thousands of years. The events in Genesis, such as Noah's flood, occurred over a thousand years before they were put on paper, and none of the writers even saw it happen. That is the entire basis of the religion.

    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If we're to believe that the laws of physics were suspended and god was inside a man's body, we're going to need more than that. And yes, the things christians claim jesus did is pretty much the definition of magic. Healing wounds with your hands, turning water to wine, rising from the dead?

  9. #129
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:54 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,126

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, F&L.

    It's not on this earth, so I was taught in Sunday School. He left this for something far better, but look at what he had to go through to attain it! How many "Gods" that were worshipped in ancient Rome or Egypt or anywhere else proved their love by dying for their worshipers? None immediately come to mind.
    Prove their love by dying? Sorry... that sounds ridiculous.

  10. #130
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    15,991

    Re: The lost tomb of Jesus? Scientist claims he has 'virtually unequivocal evidence'

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    What does a resurrected god need with a tomb?
    According to the Gospels, he needed it for 3 days until the resurrection.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •