Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 280

Thread: Rand Paul announces presidential run

  1. #231
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 09:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Rand Paul announces presidential run

    The pendulum swings. A libertarian president sounds pretty good right now.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  2. #232
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    30,185

    Re: Rand Paul announces presidential run

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Just about every GOP candidate is for increasing defense spending even Rand Paul.
    2016 GOP Hopefuls Call For Boost in Defense Spending | Washington Free Beacon
    House members want to do this also--off-budget--infuriating their Senate GOP counterparts .
    Chemists Have Solutions .

  3. #233
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    02-01-17 @ 09:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,667

    Re: Rand Paul announces presidential run

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    straw man.

    the neocons spent time, treasure, and talent to keep him out of office.

    I mention Rubio as an example of the waning influence of the neocon wing, not as a non-neocon
    A fact is not a strawman. Some leading neoconservative thinkers worked with him even as he pursued his Senate campaign. The article notes:

    Elliott Abrams first spoke with Rubio when he was running for the Senate in 2010. “We had a mutual friend who said to me, ‘He has no experience in the Middle East, but obviously it’s a big issue in Florida, would you be willing to talk to him?’” Abrams says. “We got on the phone, and he said, ‘Let’s do it this way: Let me tell you what I think about the Middle East, and then you tell me what I’ve left out that’s important and what I’ve got wrong.’” Rubio, Abrams says, didn’t have anything wrong. “I was really impressed,” he tells me. “I don’t think there are very many state politicians who could have, off the cuff, done a six-or-seven minute riff on the Middle East.”

    And during his 2010 Senate Campaign, Rubio had the support of former Governor Jeb Bush, so even the establishment wasn't fully on Crist's side.

    National Review

    If Senator Rubio wins the Presidency, he will pursue a neoconservative foreign policy approach, barring a radical shift in his thinking. Those expecting otherwise will be both surprised and dismayed.

  4. #234
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Rand Paul announces presidential run

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    why is voting force?
    Motivation, influence, are in essence.....force.

  5. #235
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,380

    Rand Paul announces presidential run

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    If Senator Rubio wins the Presidency, he will pursue a neoconservative foreign policy approach, barring a radical shift in his thinking. Those expecting otherwise will be both surprised and dismayed.
    Provided that he will be observing systemic limitations placed on such views, yes, his outlook would be much more aligned with it than not. He wouldn't be Michael Ledeen by any stretch of the imagination, because he will be restricted by public opinion, the need for coalition building, fiscal restraints, and so forth. However, he will be that group's best champion for that type of foreign policy.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 04-09-15 at 02:38 PM.
    "We all of us know down here that politics is a tough game. And I don't think there's any point in being Irish if you don't know that the world is going to break your heart eventually."-Daniel Patrick Moynihan, December 5, 1963

  6. #236
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,721

    Re: Rand Paul announces presidential run

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    Rubio, Paul, and Cruz are all republicans that the neocons fought tooth and nail to not get elected. they are all possible presidential candidates. I have seen how this movie ends, and it does not end well for you.

    but hey, you can always go back to the democratic wing from where you came.
    When did 'neoconservatives' fight Rubio? His foreign policy platform is one of the things I like about him. As far as I remember Paul is the only one who excited serious reservations. Furthermore, no one ever said that the odd candidate here and there wouldn't be able to win an election. Hell, Ron Paul was in office going back to the 80's. The point is that the majority, the levers of power, and the donor base are beyond the grasp of this fringe. As for being a Democrat, do you really think that? If you do it's emblematic of why the fire and brimstone 'conservatives' wont ever have true national success.

  7. #237
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    30,185

    Re: Rand Paul announces presidential run

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    straw man.

    the neocons spent time, treasure, and talent to keep him out of office.

    I mention Rubio as an example of the waning influence of the neocon wing, not as a non-neocon
    The NeoCons/Elites continue to dominate the GOP, as we saw with the 2014 GOP primary season.

    Rubio has been pumped by NeoCon FOX for several months--especially Krauthammer--as you'll see this coming Monday when he announces .
    Chemists Have Solutions .

  8. #238
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    03-17-17 @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Rand Paul announces presidential run

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    A fact is not a strawman.
    a fact that does not pertain to the argument is a strawman

  9. #239
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,380

    Re: Rand Paul announces presidential run

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    a fact that does not pertain to my argument is a strawman
    If he was being promoted and supported by neoconservatives, which he was, you have no point.
    "We all of us know down here that politics is a tough game. And I don't think there's any point in being Irish if you don't know that the world is going to break your heart eventually."-Daniel Patrick Moynihan, December 5, 1963

  10. #240
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    03-17-17 @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Rand Paul announces presidential run

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Motivation, influence, are in essence.....force.
    false.

    reason is not force. I am sad you think it is.

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •