Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 122

Thread: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

  1. #31
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,201

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Uh oh EB.....I think BO just told on himself.



    Obama: Yeah, This Iran Deal Doesn't Actually Stop The Regime From Getting a Bomb.....


    During an interview today with NPR, President Obama admitted the framework outlined in a State Department "fact sheet" and released last week only delays Iran's non-peaceful nuclear program. More from Fox News:

    The stark admission -- after his energy secretary even claimed the deal was a "forever agreement" -- came as the president seeks to quiet a growing chorus questioning whether the deal he and world leaders have negotiated merely delays the certainty of a nuclear-armed Iran. Obama has insisted confidently that Iran will not get a nuclear weapon on his watch, which ends in roughly 20 months, but has made no similar assurances about his successor.....snip~

    Obama: Yeah, This Iran Deal Doesn't Actually Stop The Regime From Getting a Bomb - Katie Pavlich
    Greetings, MMC.

    It is getting to be repetitious - everything that can have negative consequences seems to be delayed until after he leaves office. This can happen to any deal, I know, but in his case it seems to be deliberately done so he doesn't have to be held accountable. Win-win for him - he looks good at the time, and the after-effects are left for someone else to handle. On those occasions when he is criticized for something he's done, and he can't escape being blamed, it's always someone else's fault. What a guy! :

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, MMC.

    It is getting to be repetitious - everything that can have negative consequences seems to be delayed until after he leaves office. This can happen to any deal, I know, but in his case it seems to be deliberately done so he doesn't have to be held accountable. Win-win for him - he looks good at the time, and the after-effects are left for someone else to handle. On those occasions when he is criticized for something he's done, and he can't escape being blamed, it's always someone else's fault. What a guy! :


    Well, at least Corker can force BO to experience that override. I think they will have like 2 extras votes over and the Demos will have been the ones that finally stepped up and actually thought about their job.

    More and more are getting tired of him just doing what he wants.

  3. #33
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,020
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Uh oh EB.....I think BO just told on himself.



    Obama: Yeah, This Iran Deal Doesn't Actually Stop The Regime From Getting a Bomb.....


    During an interview today with NPR, President Obama admitted the framework outlined in a State Department "fact sheet" and released last week only delays Iran's non-peaceful nuclear program. More from Fox News:

    The stark admission -- after his energy secretary even claimed the deal was a "forever agreement" -- came as the president seeks to quiet a growing chorus questioning whether the deal he and world leaders have negotiated merely delays the certainty of a nuclear-armed Iran. Obama has insisted confidently that Iran will not get a nuclear weapon on his watch, which ends in roughly 20 months, but has made no similar assurances about his successor.....snip~

    Obama: Yeah, This Iran Deal Doesn't Actually Stop The Regime From Getting a Bomb - Katie Pavlich
    Can never get a straight and consistent answer from this administration, the same way that you can never trust what they are telling you, the same way that Obama is always surprised at nearly any situation that come up from his administration, which he always learned about from the news.


    SOS DD (Same of ****, different day).
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,519

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Here is how that really played out. Do note how the N Korean military was never in on the deal. Left Unaddressed and left for someone else to handle, huh? Typical leftist methodology.



    "This U.S.-North Korean agreement will help to achieve a long-standing and vital American objective: an end to the threat of nuclear proliferation on the Korean peninsula." -President Bill Clinton.

    "The new accord ... outlines an elaborate timetable for steps by each side.... But American officials acknowledge that the agreement ... will require enormous patience and perseverance .... [T]hey concede that it poses a risk for much of the next decade that North Korea could change its mind, cast aside the accord and have the basic fuel in hand to produce nuclear weapons." -The New York Times

    After 17 months of tumultuous negotiations over the Pyongyang government's nuclear program, the United States and North Korea signed a detailed agreement in Geneva on October 2 1. The pact is a highly complex, three-staged, multilateral arrangement whose terms will not be fulfilled for many years. For the most part, the deal appears "front loaded" in favor of Pyongyang. A consor- tium of nations, led by the United States, is responsible for constructing a modem nu- clear power infrastructure for the well-armed, repressive communist state. The same con- sortium will bolster the North's faltering economy by easing its immediate energy bur- dens with large quantities of free fuel oil. In an October 20 letter to North Korean strong- man Kim Jong Il, moreover, President Clinton vastly expanded America's commitments under the formal agreement. The U.S., said Clinton, would finance the fuel shipments and the reactors if the consortium fails to do so. The total value of the U.S. pledge is esti- mated conservatively at more than $4 billion. In addition to leading the international energy assistance consortium, Washington has pledged to ease its long-standing trade embargo and move toward first-ever diplomatic relations with the North. These concessions provide Pyongyang a degree of political rec- ognition by the U.S. and its allies that it long has sought. Left unaddressed is the immedi- ate threat posed by the North's formidable conventional military force, which includes a large stockpile of chemical and biological weapons and missiles capable of reaching South Korea and Japan. About 37,000 U.S. troops are stationed in South Korea to counter the North's military threat. The Clinton Administration's aim in all of this is, first, to freeze the North Korean nu- clear program and, ultimately, to assess the North's past efforts to build nuclear bombs and preclude any future weapons capabilities. U.S. intelligence and defense officials esti- mate that the North has enough enriched fuel to produce nuclear weapons. Secretary of Defense William Perry has stated, "it is possible they could make one or even two de- vices, perhaps even nuclear bombs."5 Even assuming smooth implementation of the Oc- tober 21 agreement, however, its goals cannot possibly be fulfilled completely for at least a decade.....snip~

    The Clinton Nuclear Deal with Pyongyang: Road Map to Progress or Dead End Street?
    Clintons agreement kept the N. Koreans from making a bomb for 9 years. It wasn't until the Bush administration refused to negotiate that they kicked out the inspectors and resumed their nuclear program. That is what happened. In fact Bush rushed them into building the bomb to prevent a threatened invasion. Cheney even said we don't negotiate with evil...we destroy it. Remember that Bush invaded Iraq because he said it was important to do BEFORE they got a bomb. N. Korea needed to get a bomb quick to prevent us from invading them too. That was the Bush doctrine for you.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Clintons agreement kept the N. Koreans from making a bomb for 9 years. It wasn't until the Bush administration refused to negotiate that they kicked out the inspectors and resumed their nuclear program. That is what happened. In fact Bush rushed them into building the bomb to prevent a threatened invasion. Cheney even said we don't negotiate with evil...we destroy it. Remember that Bush invaded Iraq because he said it was important to do BEFORE they got a bomb. N. Korea needed to get a bomb quick to prevent us from invading them too. That was the Bush doctrine for you.
    Oh really.....here is how it happened.


    With tensions rising, U.S. and North Korean officials began negotiations in 1993, which led what was called the Agreed Framework in 1994. By this time, Kim Il Song had died and his son, Kim Jong Il, had taken over. In exchange for abandoning its nuclear weapons program, the United States would provide the North Koreans with nuclear reactors that would produce lower-grade plutonium that couldn't be weaponized. Despite the agreement, and floods and famine gripping North Korea in the mid- to late-1990s, the country continued developing its medium- to long-range missile technology. The DPRK, claiming they were launching a satellite, even test-fired a rocket that flew over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean.

    In 2002, the DPRK acknowledged the existence of its weapons program, which was in violation of its agreement with the United States. The following year the DPRK formally withdrew from the NPT and began producing weapons-grade plutonium from its reactors once again.

    Diplomacy, foreign aid and sanctions all proved fruitless in trying to bring North Korea to officially stop pursuing nuclear weapons. By mid-2006, the DPRK has produced as much as 60 kilograms (27.3 pounds) of plutonium fuel, enough to create as many as 13 nuclear bombs. And that same year, the North Koreans finally tested one of them.....snip~

    How North Korea Got the Bomb : Discovery News

  6. #36
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,947

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Clintons agreement kept the N. Koreans from making a bomb for 9 years. It wasn't until the Bush administration refused to negotiate that they kicked out the inspectors and resumed their nuclear program. That is what happened. In fact Bush rushed them into building the bomb to prevent a threatened invasion. Cheney even said we don't negotiate with evil...we destroy it. Remember that Bush invaded Iraq because he said it was important to do BEFORE they got a bomb. N. Korea needed to get a bomb quick to prevent us from invading them too. That was the Bush doctrine for you.
    Yes, the Bush administration made them do it. Now that reminds me of "The devil made me do it!" Please tell me more. I love stories. I'll check back at bed time.

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,519

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Yes, the Bush administration made them do it. Now that reminds me of "The devil made me do it!" Please tell me more. I love stories. I'll check back at bed time.
    What would you do as a leader if your only hope to avoid an invasion was to build a atom bomb?

  8. #38
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,947

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    What would you do as a leader if your only hope to avoid an invasion was to build a atom bomb?
    I'd quit acting like an asinine jerk - starving my people and oppressing them, threatening the countries around me - and thereby avoid the possibility of an invasion to start with. But that's just me.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,519

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Oh really.....here is how it happened.


    With tensions rising, U.S. and North Korean officials began negotiations in 1993, which led what was called the Agreed Framework in 1994. By this time, Kim Il Song had died and his son, Kim Jong Il, had taken over. In exchange for abandoning its nuclear weapons program, the United States would provide the North Koreans with nuclear reactors that would produce lower-grade plutonium that couldn't be weaponized. Despite the agreement, and floods and famine gripping North Korea in the mid- to late-1990s, the country continued developing its medium- to long-range missile technology. The DPRK, claiming they were launching a satellite, even test-fired a rocket that flew over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean.

    In 2002, the DPRK acknowledged the existence of its weapons program, which was in violation of its agreement with the United States. The following year the DPRK formally withdrew from the NPT and began producing weapons-grade plutonium from its reactors once again.

    Diplomacy, foreign aid and sanctions all proved fruitless in trying to bring North Korea to officially stop pursuing nuclear weapons. By mid-2006, the DPRK has produced as much as 60 kilograms (27.3 pounds) of plutonium fuel, enough to create as many as 13 nuclear bombs. And that same year, the North Koreans finally tested one of them.....snip~

    How North Korea Got the Bomb : Discovery News
    LOL That piece left out alot of the details.

    In the fall of 2002, Donald Gregg, former ambassador to South Korea during the Bush I presidency, and Donald Oberdorfer, former Washington Post reporter, delivered a message from Kim Jong IL to the White House: “If the United States recognizes our sovereignty and assures non-aggression, it is our view that we should be able to find a way to resolve the nuclear issue …. If the United States makes a bold decision, we will respond accordingly.”

    Not only did the administration ignore this and other overtures, but shortly thereafter it persuaded South Korea and Japan to join in stopping the delivery of fuel oil to North Korea as required by the 1994 Agreed Framework. Signed in October 1994, the Agreed Framework required Pyongyang to stop its nuclear weapons program in return for two nuclear power reactors and fuel oil from the United States until the reactors were completed. Soon after the message was ignored and deliveries of fuel oil terminated, North Korea ordered the International Atomic Energy Agency inspectors to leave the country, announced abrogation of the Agreed Framework and withdrawal from the Non-Proliferation Treaty, and began separating plutonium from its spent fuel rods. Inexplicably, the Bush administration did next to nothing in response to these actions.
    http://armscontrolcenter.org/issues/...clear_program/

  10. #40
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Is he right?

    <snip>


    Washington (CNN)A key Senate Democrat is throwing his weight behind a proposal that would allow Congress to reject the Iran nuclear deal, complicating President Barack Obama's efforts to dodge Republican opposition and lock in the pact on his own.

    New York Sen. Chuck Schumer said Monday that he is backing legislation introduced by Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) to give Congress the ability to halt the implementation of the deal once the United States and five other world powers finalize the details in the coming months.

    "This is a very serious issue that deserves careful consideration, and I expect to have a classified briefing in the near future. I strongly believe Congress should have the right to disapprove any agreement and I support the Corker bill which would allow that to occur," Schumer told Politico on Monday.


    Schumer: Congress should OK Iran deal - CNN.com
    If he disagrees with Obama, of course he's right.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •