Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 122

Thread: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

  1. #11
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,193

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Yes he is Right TB. Here is what I had on it.




    Chuck Schumer bucks White House on Iran.....


    The comments Monday by the Democratic leader-in-waiting illustrate the enormity of the task ahead for Obama and his team: While thereís no guarantee that Congress would ultimately reject an agreement with Iran, thereís an increasingly bipartisan consensus that Congress should at least have the ability to do so.

    Within the Senate Democratic Caucus, a dozen senators have either co-sponsored Corkerís legislation or indicated they could support it. That would put the measure one vote shy of a veto-proof majority. On Monday, three more Democratic senators ó Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Claire McCaskill of Missouri ó left open the possibility of voting for it, according to aides. Their support, however, could hinge on whether Sen. Ben Cardin (D-Md.), the new ranking member of the Foreign Relations Committee, is able to negotiate concessions that alleviate concerns the bill could derail any agreement.

    But White House press secretary Josh Earnest declined to entertain that possibility, telling reporters on Monday that the White House sees no way to reconcile Corkerís bill with the presidentís mission of finishing Iran negotiations before Congress votes on anything.

    Read more: Chuck Schumer bucks White House on Iran - Burgess Everett - POLITICO


    BO was talking out both sides of his mouth when he was telling all, he wanted to work with Congress on this so called framework understanding. His usual!
    Good morning, MMC.

    Iran already knows that many of the high-ranking members of our legislature, on both sides of the aisle, agree with most of the world that this "deal" is not in anyone's best interest, except Iran's, which is why Iran is already warning us that they'll call the whole thing off if they don't get the deal they want, IMO. All they need to do, really, is to interpret what someone says as "breaking the deal," and they've got their excuse. In the meantime, they are continuing on their own plan to go nuclear, and have partnered with North Korea to achieve it, and that is no longer a secret to anyone. An Iranian defector has supposedly stated that this "deal" has been done for some time, and most of it is "off paper", since BHO has capitulated to Iran in an "understanding" with them. If that is true, and I hope it's not, we have been punked since day one. Unbelievable! Small wonder so many are suspicious about what's really going on here.

  2. #12
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,410

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    I don't see how it makes any difference at all. The Iranians aren't going to honor any agreement made with the great satan. They just understand that once sanctions are lifted, they are difficult to re-impose. The "deal" is just lip flapping amounting to nothing whatsoever other than the lifting of those sanctions. There is no solution for us in any deal and lots of solution for Iran. Since we started this nonsense, the only common sense thing we can do is walk away from it and bear down harder on the sanctions.
    Except that US only sanctions would not be effective and the rest of the current coalition are not willing to keep them up much longer. So regardless of any agreement, most Iran sanctions will be lifted in a year or so. Now what is your solution? We can either "trust but verify" or just throw our hands up and resign ourselves to a nuclear Iran. Pick one.

  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,185

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Except that US only sanctions would not be effective and the rest of the current coalition are not willing to keep them up much longer. So regardless of any agreement, most Iran sanctions will be lifted in a year or so. Now what is your solution? We can either "trust but verify" or just throw our hands up and resign ourselves to a nuclear Iran. Pick one.
    I recommend throwing up our hands and accepting that Iran will be nuclear. I have believed that would be inevitable for 10 years. However I would slow it down as much as possible by doing whatever negative we can do to them. They are, after all, the enemy.

  4. #14
    Almost respectable
    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    33,301

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Is he right?

    <snip>


    Washington (CNN)—A key Senate Democrat is throwing his weight behind a proposal that would allow Congress to reject the Iran nuclear deal, complicating President Barack Obama's efforts to dodge Republican opposition and lock in the pact on his own.

    New York Sen. Chuck Schumer said Monday that he is backing legislation introduced by Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) to give Congress the ability to halt the implementation of the deal once the United States and five other world powers finalize the details in the coming months.

    "This is a very serious issue that deserves careful consideration, and I expect to have a classified briefing in the near future. I strongly believe Congress should have the right to disapprove any agreement and I support the Corker bill which would allow that to occur," Schumer told Politico on Monday.


    Schumer: Congress should OK Iran deal - CNN.com
    Let congress vote on it so they can vote against it? It's not as though he made the goal especially ambiguous.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,410

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    I recommend throwing up our hands and accepting that Iran will be nuclear. I have believed that would be inevitable for 10 years. However I would slow it down as much as possible by doing whatever negative we can do to them. They are, after all, the enemy.
    Isn't an agreement that requires rigorous inspections of their nuclear facilities a "negative"? It is not like the inspectors will be helping them build a bomb is it? If Iran reneges on the agreement we will be in a much better position to get new sanctions than if Congress scuttles the deal before it takes place. In fact it would make the US the enemy in the worlds eyes.
    Last edited by iguanaman; 04-07-15 at 11:24 AM.

  6. #16
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    23,935
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Is he right?

    <snip>


    Washington (CNN)—A key Senate Democrat is throwing his weight behind a proposal that would allow Congress to reject the Iran nuclear deal, complicating President Barack Obama's efforts to dodge Republican opposition and lock in the pact on his own.

    New York Sen. Chuck Schumer said Monday that he is backing legislation introduced by Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) to give Congress the ability to halt the implementation of the deal once the United States and five other world powers finalize the details in the coming months.

    "This is a very serious issue that deserves careful consideration, and I expect to have a classified briefing in the near future. I strongly believe Congress should have the right to disapprove any agreement and I support the Corker bill which would allow that to occur," Schumer told Politico on Monday.


    Schumer: Congress should OK Iran deal - CNN.com
    I'm waiting for DOJ charges against him to be filed. (Just kidding!)
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  7. #17
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,931

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    I don't trust Obama any more than I trust Iran. They're both liars. Sure, one is a country - but the other one thinks he is.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Good morning, MMC.

    Iran already knows that many of the high-ranking members of our legislature, on both sides of the aisle, agree with most of the world that this "deal" is not in anyone's best interest, except Iran's, which is why Iran is already warning us that they'll call the whole thing off if they don't get the deal they want, IMO. All they need to do, really, is to interpret what someone says as "breaking the deal," and they've got their excuse. In the meantime, they are continuing on their own plan to go nuclear, and have partnered with North Korea to achieve it, and that is no longer a secret to anyone. An Iranian defector has supposedly stated that this "deal" has been done for some time, and most of it is "off paper", since BHO has capitulated to Iran in an "understanding" with them. If that is true, and I hope it's not, we have been punked since day one. Unbelievable! Small wonder so many are suspicious about what's really going on here.


    Mornin Lady P. Well As you can see Corker will have the votes to override BO this time. It is something that BO needs to experience. Another first for him and with more to come.

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,185

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Isn't an agreement that requires rigorous inspections of their nuclear facilities a "negative"? It is not like the inspectors will be helping them build a bomb is it? If Iran reneges on the agreement we will be in a much better position to get new sanctions than if Congress scuttles the deal before it takes place. In fact it would make the US the enemy in the worlds eyes.
    To me it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. Iran will not honor "deals" made with the great satan.

  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,410

    Re: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    To me it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. Iran will not honor "deals" made with the great satan.
    Maybe so but the question now is whether the U.S will honor deals with Iran. You sound just like Cheney when the Bush administration broke off nuclear talks with N. Korea. How did that work out? I guess you are looking for a similar result with Iran.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •