Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 103

Thread: Rolling Stone Retracts Rape Story..

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,463

    Re: Rolling Stone Retracts Rape Story..

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    *sigh* So you've just found the word, which is a behavioral concept and not a personal one, and you're still asking me "who"?

    This is why I've been sticking to the silly side of DP lately. It's less traumatic to my forehead and my furniture. I'm headed back there again.
    Your entire line of reasoning is painfully desperate, sorry.

  2. #72
    Teacher of All Things

    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    27,411

    Re: Rolling Stone Retracts Rape Story..

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    *sigh* So you've just found the word, which is a behavioral concept and not a personal one, and you're still asking me "who"?

    This is why I've been sticking to the silly side of DP lately. It's less traumatic to my forehead and my furniture. I'm headed back there again.
    People create culture. It doesn't exist without the community.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Rolling Stone Retracts Rape Story..

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Jesus. Yes, the US is totally sexually repressive. /facepalm
    Seems I was lucky enough not to stumble into those areas where this repression occurs. Same in other countries also. Must have been a long series of happy coincidences.

  4. #74
    Teacher of All Things

    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    27,411

    Re: Rolling Stone Retracts Rape Story..

    So continuing with this logic....

    The US is the most sexually repressed nation in the West.
    The US has a high rape rate.
    Therefore, rape is caused by sexual repression and people who rape are sexually repressed.

    Now... let's name the people who are "sexually repressed" and those will be the people committing the rapes in this country. Right?

    If that sounds silly to you -- it is.
    Last edited by Josie; 04-06-15 at 05:38 PM.

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,115

    Re: Rolling Stone Retracts Rape Story..

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    *sigh* So you've just found the word, which is a behavioral concept and not a personal one, and you're still asking me "who"?

    This is why I've been sticking to the silly side of DP lately. It's less traumatic to my forehead and my furniture. I'm headed back there again.
    I've tried to follow your line of thought and the obvious question that arises is ... How is it you've been able to overcome this terrible sexually repressive culture? ... did you say it was the worst in the world?
    Better never than late.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    20,935

    Re: Rolling Stone Retracts Rape Story..

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/06/bu...inia.html?_r=0

    Rolling Stone magazine retracted its article about a brutal gang rape at a University of Virginia fraternity after the release of a report on Sunday that concluded the widely discredited piece was the result of failures at every stage of the process.

    The report, published by the Columbia Graduate School of Journalism and commissioned by Rolling Stone, said the magazine failed to engage in “basic, even routine journalistic practice” to verify details of the ordeal that the magazine’s source, identified only as Jackie, described to the article’s author, Sabrina Rubin Erdely.
    Maybe someday, people will learn not to believe these pundits in journalism.

    Does true journalism even exist any more?
    FYI: I just started adding people to my IGNORE list, so if I don't respond to you...

  7. #77
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,990

    Re: Rolling Stone Retracts Rape Story..

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    I've tried to follow your line of thought and the obvious question that arises is ... How is it you've been able to overcome this terrible sexually repressive culture? ... did you say it was the worst in the world?
    Nope, I didn't, actually. Yet another one who apparently can't read.

  8. #78
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,990

    Re: Rolling Stone Retracts Rape Story..

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    So continuing with this logic....

    The US is the most sexually repressed nation in the West.
    The US has a high rape rate.
    Therefore, rape is caused by sexual repression and people who rape are sexually repressed.

    Now... let's name the people who are "sexually repressed" and those will be the people committing the rapes in this country. Right?

    If that sounds silly to you -- it is.
    The "therefore" is not part of my argument, and would only make sense to someone with a painfully simplistic view of sociology that is basically impossible to correct without going back to middle school social studies.

    What's amazing about it is that we have already discussed the main factor they share too, and somehow you couldn't make that out either.

    This is an incredible thread, seriously. But then, threads about rape always are.

  9. #79
    Teacher of All Things

    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    27,411

    Re: Rolling Stone Retracts Rape Story..

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    The "therefore" is not part of my argument, and would only make sense to someone with a painfully simplistic view of sociology that is basically impossible to correct without going back to middle school social studies.
    No, the "therefore" came from your own words:

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Actually, America has the most sexually repressive culture in the West, and simultaniously some of the highest rape rates in the West.

    That is not in any way surprising. Rape rates rise as sexual repression rises in most cultures. Eventually, once you get to an extreme enough level of sexual repression, cultures just stop recognizing rape as being any different from sex at all.


    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    What's amazing about it is that we have already discussed the main factor they share too, and somehow you couldn't make that out either.

    This is an incredible thread, seriously. But then, threads about rape always are.
    You seem to be having a hard time discussing this without playground insults.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,377

    Re: Rolling Stone Retracts Rape Story..

    Here's Senator Kirsten Gillibrand back on the 24th warning that we should not blame the " victim " even after it was shown her story was false.

    Gillibrand: Avoid "victim blaming" in UVA rape story
    But Gillibrand said the ire over the case shouldn't shift blame onto victims, who already have a hard time coming forward to authorities.

    "Victim blaming or shining the spotlight on her for coming forward is not the right approach," Gillibrand said on "The Capitol Pressroom," a public radio show in Albany. "In fact, what we have to focus on is how do we keep these campuses safe? How do we have better trained personnel on campuses so they can tell a survivor what her options are and so they can have all the facts?"

    I wonder what Sen Kirsten Gillbrand thinks now ? Or if she still thinks we shouldn't blame the victim ( the girl who lied )

    Also the Rolling Stone Reporter Sabrina Rubin Erdely " apologized " but not to the boys that were charged with rape.
    " If no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else ? "
    Ronald Reagan

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •